Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 14:07

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

4 large sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into small strips.

In a small bowl, mix black pepper, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt together.

Line sweet potatoes onto the coated cookie sheet and generously cover with spice mixture.

Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, turning potatoes over half way through cooking cycle. Serves 8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Sweet Potatoes - Week 4 August 2013

Made this recipe twice last Christmas and they were delicious! ***i EDITED THIS and changed the sausage. I originally said sage, but that was not right MAPLE is right. Jimmy Dean Maple sausage

Sweet Potato sausage balls

3 cups biscuit mix
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes **used canned and drained
1 pound sausage, hot or mild, uncooked**(I used Jimmy Dean MAPLE sausage
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional

Preparation:

Heat oven to 350°. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine biscuit mix,cheese, mashed sweet potatoes, sausage, until well blended, using hands or an electric stand mixer with paddle beater. Add chopped pecans, if desired. Wet hands with cool water and shape the mixture into 1-inch balls; place on the prepared baking pan. Moisten hands from time to time as needed to prevent sticking. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on tops and deeper brown on bottoms.

This post was edited by glenda_al on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 16:21

o

That looks good Glenda. I have made them before but not with sweet potatoes. Thanks for the idea.

o

Great for Thanksgiving. Tried and true recipe

Baked Sweet Potatoes with maple-jalapeno sour cream
Rub oil and salt on 4 scrubbed, sweet potatoes and dried
Place on rack and take 450 for 40-45 minuts or until soft (I wrap mine in foil)

Topping
Combine
1/2 c sour cream
1 Tbl maple syrup
2 tsp seeded and minced jalapeno ***I use canned minced green chiles, drained
1 tsp lime juice
salt and tobasco to taste
chill

Serve potatoes with:
maple-jalapeno sour cream
bacon bits
sliced scallions

----------------------------------------

o

Luckygardnr posted this recipe and I've made it a couple of times. Also passed the recipe on to some of my foodie friends. It's soooo good!

MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH COCONUT MILK

1-½ lbs. sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
¾ c. coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. salt

Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on HI until tender, about 10-15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash. Add coconut milk and remaining spices. Reheat in the microwave another 1-2 minutes or in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Note: This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. It can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days. I have also made this using canned sweet potatoes. Just as yummy!

o

This is one of my favorite salads in the fall- I like to serve it with pork chops and roasted potatoes.

Warm Sweet Potato and Spinach Salad
Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces Genoa salami, finely chopped
5 cups cubed, peeled sweet potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored, and shredded (3/4 cup)
2/3 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
8 cups baby spinach
Thinly sliced red onion

Directions

1. In a wok or a very large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons oil. Cook and stir salami in hot oil about 1 minute or until crisp and brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove salami from wok. Drain on paper towels.

2. Add potatoes, garlic, and salt to wok. Cook and stir over medium to medium-high heat 12 to 14 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Transfer to large bowl. Add shredded apple. Toss to combine. Spoon into heat-proof bowl; keep warm.

3. Combine apple juice, vinegar, the 1 tablespoon olive oil, allspice, pepper, and cloves. Add to wok or skillet; bring to boiling. Divide spinach among 10 to 12 salad plates. Top with potato mixture. Drizzle with hot dressing. Top with onion. Sprinkle salami over all.

o

I don't have a recipe and don't know why I'm even responding to this thread, but I detest sweet potatoes. Anybody else feel the same way?

o

Not a recipe, but we love the dish that hubby makes.

Regular and sweet potatoes cut in small chunks, drizzled with lots f olive oil and many cloves of garlic. Roasted at 375 until tender. He covers them with tin foil the first part, then uncovers it.

o

Fran.....I feel the same that you shouldn't have posted to this thread, lol!

I'm a huge SP fan, as long as they aren't overly sweetened and gloppy with marshmellows. The recipes here sound fabulous!

We like crispy SP fries, coated with corn starch, then sprayed with olive oil. I'll sprinkle some with chili powder, salt, or other spicy seasonings and some with cinnamon/cayenne sugar. Bake at 425-450 for fifteen minutes, flip, then bake for ten more minutes.

These are crunchy, if you like them that way. Be sure to cut them into french fry sized pieces.

A bit different, but I put half of a cooked SP in my morning NutriBullet sludgie every once in awhile....along with apple pieces, fresh pineapple, frozen mixed fruit and lots of greens. This is great with unsweetened almond or coconut milk as the liquid and a good sprinkling of cinnamon.

o

We love sweet potatoes and grow them every year. This year I grew my own starts from the year before sweet potatoes. They keep very well in my dark garage.

Martha's Sweet Potato Casserole

4 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (I use fresh sweet potatoes, but can use the canned, just drain)

3 whole eggs

1 cup white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

3/4 cups Milnot or evaporated milk

3/4 cups butter

Mix all together well.

Topping

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups chopped nuts

Mix together and sprinkle on top of sweet potato casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or till done. This makes a large pan. This was my Mother's recipe and she would take it to all of our church meals. I now make it and take to some of our meals.

Sue

This post was edited by Marilyn_Sue on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 6:25

o

Not really a recipe....
The other day I experimented and shredded a SP in the food processor.
Then deep fried them to a crisp and sprinkled with sea salt as I took them out.
My oh my, I barely had any to put on the table I ate so many while standing at the stove frying the next batch...
YUM!

o

Al’s Mom’s Sweet Potato Poon
Al Roker's Mom

6 large sweet potatoes
4 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of flour
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 can of crushed pineapple drained
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
1 bag of large Jet Puffed marshmallows

Boil the sweet potatoes until soft. Mash potatoes with 1 stick of butter in a large bowl. Add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, and mix together. Fold in crushed pineapple and pour into a buttered 9” x 12” Pyrex dish.

Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until brown on top. Remove from oven, layer with marshmallows and place under broiler until marshmallows are toasty brown on top. Be careful... they will catch fire very quickly.

o

Actually, my favorite is just baked, sliced longwise down the middle, then doused with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

Good and good for you!

Sue

o

Walnutcreek, I made your baked "fries" recipe as soon as I read it, and enjoyed the result. Thanks!

o

Fran, I don't understand why you would want to post your derogatory remarks on this recipe thread. We understand that not everyone likes the same thing, but why be so rude about it? Just my opinion, no flaming necessary!

o

Eggnog Sweet Potatoes

2 cups steamed or roasted and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1T vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 cup prepared eggnog
1T butter
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped salted pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Butter one 9×13 casserole dish

In a mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, vanilla extract, egg, eggnog, and butter. Blend well, and spread evenly in casserole dish.

If opted, top with chopped pecans

Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven

o

In the fall, I love to buy Fresh Market's organic sweet potatoes.

Bake it, eat it plain with a sweet Italian sausage link! Yumo!

o

Sue-va, that's my favorite way, too.

o

Alisande, so glad you enjoyed the baked fries.

o

NOLA Sweet Potatoes

2 large Sweet Potatoes cut into 3/4" thick discs
2 tablespoons Canola Oil
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper fresh ground
1 tablespoon Powdered Sugar (optional)

1. Toss sweet potatoes, canola oil, kosher salt, and pepper to coat

2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray

3. Arrange in a single layer and then cover with another sheet aluminum foil

4. Place in a COLD OVEN, set to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake for 30 minutes

5. Remove the top aluminum foil and continue to bake for 20 minutes

6. Flip potatoes and continue baking for 20 minutes

7. Remove and let cool 5 minutes

8. Serve with a slight dusting of powdered sugar

It is imperative that you start these in a cold oven. The starch in the sweet potatoes converts to sugars between 135 and 175 degrees Fahrenheit. The longer they stay in that range, the sweeter these will taste.

Edited to say I forgot to point out that I do not use canola oil (don't care for the taste), I use vegetable oil.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 12:55

o

I recently received this in a newsletter and haven't made it yet. But it sounds so good, thought I would go ahead and share.

Apple, Leek, and Sweet Potato Gratin

1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 large leeks, washed and thinly sliced
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
A grating of fresh nutmeg
2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced

Combine the cream, leeks, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Add the sweet potatoes and simmer covered 10 minutes. Layer half the sweet potato mixture in a buttered baking dish. Top with the sliced apple. Repeat with sweet potato mixture and cheese. Bake uncovered in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for about 45 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Serves 6 to 8.

o

this is the way my sister has fixed hers for many many years and they are very good.

Sweet Potato Casserole Lynda
3c sweet potatoes (about 4-5 med cooked and peeled)
1/2cup butter
2eggs beaten
1tsp. Vanilla
1/3cup milk
1cup or so of sugar (your taste)
Boil, peel, and then mash potatoes. Mix in butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk, and sugar, you can beat this. Put in 13x9 baking dish sprayed with pam lightly.
Topping:
1/3cup melted butter
1cup brown sugar
½ cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
Melt butter and mix in remaining ingredients. Sprinkle on top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 mins.

This is the way I learned and have done mine forever, love the topping on these.

Praline-Topped Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients: 8 sweet potatoes
2 cups of chopped pecans
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of oleo
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Directions: 1. Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for about one hour(till soft); peel, slice and place in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

2. Mix together pecans, brown sugar, oleo, salt and vanilla in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook for about two minutes. Watch and stir constantly you just want it to melt and blend. (do not scorch or burn!)

3. Pour over potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

I usually add a few pats of butter right on the sliced potatoes in the baking dish and sprinkle on a little cinnamon and nutmeg too before putting the topping on.

and another variation
Sweet potatoes with cream cheese and Praline topping

1 large can of sweet potatoes drained
OR about 5-8 fresh ones baked, then flesh removed to use for this.
1/2 stick room temp cream cheese cut into small pieces
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
½ stick of room temp butter cut into small pats
cinnamon
nutmeg
ground cloves

Spray a small casserole dish with pam and heat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl add the sweet potato meat, the blobs of cream cheese, the pats of butter and the sweetened condensed milk plus the last 3 ingredients to taste (about ½ tsp each)
Using a hand held blender or a mixer on low slowly and gently mix it up so that all is fairly well blended. It can be lumpy or very smooth however you prefer.
Transfer mixture from mixing bowl to the prepared casserole dish.
Put in oven for about 15-20 mins till bubbly.
Now make the praline topping

2 cups of chopped pecans
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of oleo or butter
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Mix together pecans, brown sugar, oleo, salt and vanilla in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook for about two to three minutes. (melt the oleo first then stir constantly it will get thick and syrupy once it has become syrupy and bubbly it is done)
Pour over potatoes (makes a praline) and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes watch closely do not let it burn
This makes a small casserole or about 6 or so servings for sweet potato lovers.

And this is to die for

Bread Pudding with sweetpotato and white chocolate

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sweet potatoes (grated and peeled)
9 ounces Bakers white chocolate
3 (10-inch) loaves French bread
4 whole eggs
6 egg yolks
4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar

METHOD: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Slice French bread into 1/2 -inch thick round croutons and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and egg yolks. Using a wire whisk, whip until well blended and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine whipping cream, milk and sugar. Bring mixture to a low simmer then add white chocolate. Using a wire whisk, stir until chocolate is completely melted. Remove pot from heat and, stirring quickly, add whipped eggs to the cream mixture. Blend thoroughly to keep eggs from scrambling. In a 9" x 13" baking dish, place bread slices and grated, peeled sweet potatoes in 2 to 3 layers. Pour 1/2 of the cream mixture over the bread, allowing it to soak up most of the mixture prior to adding the rest. Using your fingertips, press the bread gently allowing the cream mixture to be absorbed evenly into the bread. Pour remaining cream mixture over the bread and repeat process. Cover dish with aluminum foil and allow to soak a minimum of 5 hours prior to baking. Bake, covered, for approximately 1 hour then remove foil and bake 45 additional minutes or until top is golden brown. This bread pudding is actually better if chilled in the refrigerator overnight, after baking, then cut into squares and heated in individual portions in the microwave. You may wish to create a white chocolate sauce for topping the bread pudding by combining 8 ounces of melted white chocolate and 3 ounces of heavy whipping cream. This may be done in a double boiler or microwave.

INGREDIENTS FOR WHISKEY SAUCE:
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup whiskey (optional)
1/4 cup water (if not using whiskey)
1 tsp vanilla or rum extract (if not using whiskey)
1 1/2 tbsps cornstarch
2 tbsps butter

In a small saucepan combine
1 1/4 cup water, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine whiskey or (1/4 cup water) and cornstarch. Stir into sugar mixture. Cook until thickened. Blend in butter until melted. To serve, spoon whiskey sauce over sweet potato bread pudding and top with whipped cream.

o

My husband will only eat candied sweet potatoes so for home, that is the way I fix them. No real recipe just use, peeled sweet potatoes, some brown sugar, some instant vanilla pudding, usually a small box, butter on top and then just over two cups of water. Bake till tender and a sauce has formed.

I like mine just baked with just butter on them.
Sue

o

Marilyn Sue, this sounds very different. Do you sprinkle the dry pudding mix on the potatoes?

o

I sort of mix the dry pudding in with the brown sugar and pour the water over and mix just a bit. I had gotten this recipe from my husband's cousin probably nearly 50 years ago. I do baked apples the same way but add cinnamon and not as much water.

Sue

o

Pineapple Honey Glazed Sweet Potatoes

6 medium sweet potatoes (about 6 ounces each)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup each white sugar and brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon orange zest or lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Select sweet potatoes that are uniform in size for even cooking. Wash. In a Dutch oven, cover sweet potatoes with cold water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until just tender yet firm, about 20 minutes. Drain; refrigerate to cool slightly. Sweet potatoes can be boiled and refrigerated 1 to 2 days in advance.

In same Dutch oven, combine honey, pineapple juice, white and brown sugar, butter, zest, cardamom and ginger. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce to simmer and simmer until reduced slightly, about 15 minutes.

Peel sweet potatoes; cut into thick slices. Add sweet potatoes to glaze; using a rubber spatula, toss carefully to completely coat with glaze. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until sweet potatoes are glazed, about 25 minutes.

o

Thanks Marilyn Sue for the explanation. I have to try this.

o

You are welcome.

Sue

o

Mother used to mash sweet potatoes with orange juice, brown sugar, etc and put them in an orange halve. Top them with miniature marshmellows. Sooooooooo good!

o

I like sweet potatoes sliced, lightly mixed in olive oil, and then topped with either fresh or dried rosemary & oven-roasted. I think the rosemary idea came from the cooking section of the SF Chronicle several years ago, and I found the herb to be complementary to the SP.

o

I wonder if I'm the only one who likes raw sweet potatoes? I often add fresh sticks to a vegetable tray.

o

Some really good sounding recipes here.
Now a couple with no added sugar for those that are counting carbs.

Spicy Sweet Potato and Smoked Sausage Soup
8 oz smoked sausage (diced)
1/2 cup onion (diced)
1/2 cup celery (diced)
1 tbl jalapeno pepper (minced) (I have substituted chipotle in adobo sauce to taste)
3 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and large diced)
3 tbl flour
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Saute sausage in large pot for 5 minutes over medium heat; add vegetables and continue to sauté for additional 5 minutes. Add flour and cook for 2 more minutes; add stock, salt, and pepper and stir till smooth. Simmer 20 minutes and potatoes are soft.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions
2 large sweet potatoes
(about 2 pounds) peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
2 medium Vidalia onions, cut in 1 inch chunks
3 tbl olive oil
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss first 6 ingredients in a shallow medium sized baking dish. Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover, bake 20 minutes longer. Sprinkle on almonds

o

Sweet Potato Supreme

4 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp. cream or milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup butter
1 cup pecan halves, to cover casserole

Thoroughly mix potatoes, cream, salt and paprika. Spread in greased casserole. Make the topping by heating brown sugar and butter over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter is barely melted. (It is important not to cook after butter is melted, or the topping will harden when casserole is heated.) Spread topping over potatoes and cover with pecan halves. Refrigerate until ready to heat. This casserole may be warmed in an oven of any temperature. Should be bubbling hot before servings. Serves 6-8.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here