SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

"Miracle Whip is of the devil"

angelaid
9 years ago

Husband pulled a jar of Miracle Whip out of the shopping bag (not something that we've ever had in the house). I made a *yuck* face and said, "Miracle Whip is of the devil"
He got a funny look on his face and said, "My mom used to say that".
She died before we met, over 30 years ago, so I didn't hear it from her.
Is it a phrase you've heard before?

Comments (45)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

nope. Love it on sandwiches.

• tami_ohio
    9 years ago

Never heard it. DH prefers that to mayo. And mayo does not work when you make crying cucumbers!

Crying Cucumbers

Slice cukes
    Salt
    Miracle Whip

Mix together. Refrigerate for an hour or so before serving. You want the cukes to "weep" from the salt and turn the mw into a sort of sauce. You can add a few drops of lemon or lime juice also if you like.

Tami

• alisande
    9 years ago

LOL I've never heard that, but I've often said "Sugar is evil." And since Miracle Whip is more-or-less mayonnaise with sugar, I know what you mean.

My guess is your MIL's spirit was paying you a visit!

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

I agree with the cucumbers. Miracle Whip would make me cry too. :-)

• tami_ohio
    9 years ago

Lol Bob! In this case the Miracle Whip wins. The salt makes the cukes cry. You only use a little MW so it makes like a sauce. The real stuff makes it gloppy and un appetizing. DH said it was edible but not very good the 1 time I didn't have MW to make it with! He seldom complains about what I feed him so I know it den turn out good.

• pekemom
    9 years ago

Real mayonnaise, yum...Miracle Whip tastes rancid to me.

• bigack
    9 years ago

Try sliced cukes with ranch dressing, sooo good!

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

My mother never allowed Miracle Whip in the houseâ¦...

• graywings123
    9 years ago

"is of the devil" is a quote from the Bible.

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

I have never known a slender, healthy person to use Miracle Whip.

• vicki7
    9 years ago

Never heard the saying... but it's pretty accurate. Miracle Whip tastes awful

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

You can mix a little ranch dressing with plain yogurt for a really good dressing or dip for cucumbers & other snackies.

The only thing I ever was told about Miracle Whip was not to use it in lieu of mayonnaise in a wonderful potato salad recipe I got from a co-worker.

She said, "Miracle Whip gives it a whang!"

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

Oh Sylvia, I thought my Mother and my Aunts were the only people in the world who used the word "whang." LOL

I'm not a Miracle Whip fan. I guess it does have a whang.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I'm slender and healthy and I eat MW...silliest thing I've heard in a while, thanks for the laugh linda! HA! I don't eat it every day or anything but on a BLT...YUM! OH DEAR I eat bacon too, I must be a regular blimp...nope everything in moderation.

• Chi
    9 years ago

I ate it once by accident as a child and spit it out! It's one of the most disgusting things I have ever had, and even the smell makes me gag.

• juellie1962
    9 years ago

I never heard it before, but I'd agree with it!!

Strange that you and your deceased mil say the same thing!! :)

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

No...never heard that. I never had Miracle Whip growing up....still don't. My mother only bought mayonnaise....and real butter. Never ate margarine....have never bought either one in my whole lief.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

Liked it as a kid, but I think the "recipe" changed somewhere along the way. I doubt it was made with soybean oil and some of the chemical-sounding ingredients back in the 50's and 60's. Tried Kraft mayo and didn't like it much, but then I tried Hellman's and have never looked back. I also only like real butter. Am getting concerned because the LAST butter I bought (on sale) tasted different and I looked at the ingredient list and saw "flavoring" added. I don't remember anything added before. Guess that brand is trying to sretch their profits. Me...I'll stick to Land Of Lakes.

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

LOL, funny the difference in peoples tastes. I cannot tolerate mayonaise in anything, but absolutely love miracle whip, and use it on everything. :-)

• chisue
    9 years ago

The father of one of my childhood friends was a VP at Kraft. Touring their Chicago plant was similar to the warned-against 'seeing how sausage is made'.

Everything is very sanitary, but...Velveeta, Miracle Whip, and margarine are not 'real food'.

• Kathsgrdn
    9 years ago

I eat Miracle Whip, my mom preferred it over mayonaise and so do I. I guess that's why I've been fat for most of my life...I wasn't when I was a child running around all day outside. I guess that Miracle Whip builds up in your system and then all of a sudden you get fat. lol

• lucillle
    9 years ago

No you get fat from washing your hair in the shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extra body

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 12:04

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I used to eat MW and hated mayo, now just the opposite. MW tastes different now than it used to.

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

Never heard that expression, but I also never knew what Miracle Whip was til we moved to FL. I accidentally had it on a sandwich once and I didn't like it at all, give me mayo any day. I just wish I had the drive to make my own, but I'm too lazy, so I buy Hellman's. And butter and heavy cream. And bacon, lots of lots of bacon, I baked 3 pounds of it yesterday.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I wonder if your MW salad dressing tastes different than the Canadian MW. If I understand correctly, the ketchup is different.

I like MW and also like mayo is so bland tasting. MW adds a bit of oomph. Our favourite preference is my home-made dressing.

• chessey24
    9 years ago

Don't like mayo at all - MW is the choice here

• chisue
    9 years ago

I've discovered that we like the 'Simply Heinz" to their other ketchups -- just a few, basic ingredients. I should say DH likes it; I seldom put ketchup ON anything good!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

MW has much less fat (soybean oil) than mayo, but alot more sweetener in the form of high fructose corn syrup. Fewer calories, too.

I haven't had MW since I was little, hated it back then. I usually have a jar of Blue Plate Mayo on hand for when it doesn't count much, but prefer a homemade mayo when it is an important ingredient.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

So...hands up! Anyone conducting an experiment by making fresh garden cukes, lightly salted, and mixed with Hellman's (or Blue Plate) mayonnaise today?

Besides me? LOL

My favorite way to make dressed cukes is to:

Mix 3 1/2 cups water with about 1/2 cup of white, cider, or raw vinegar (to a tart taste)

Dissolve in 2-3 Tbls of sugar

Then add salt, course ground black pepper, dill seeds, celery seeds, parsley, fresh dill if available, a couple cloves of minced garlic, a chopped jalapeño pepper - all to taste -

Pour the spicy liquid over a big container of freshly sliced cucumbers and onions. Try to cover the cukes.

Sometimes I throw in sliced carrots, or pieces of bell pepper, celery chunks, fresh green beans - anything that tastes good raw and "pickled."

Let the cukes soak in the brine overnight for the best flavor.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Lucille so that's what's happening to my body! Ha ha ha! I love that. I've a huge bottle of Dawn that will now be in my shower.

I love MW on sandwiches and mixed in warm scrambled eggs. YUM! I don't eat either very often, but I sure do enjoy both when I do.

9 years ago

Caroline, my cucumber recipe calls for sour cream, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and sliced sweet onion. It's traditional in the South, perhaps elsewhere, too.

9 years ago

Caroline, my cucumber recipe calls for sour cream, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and sliced sweet onion. It's traditional in the South, perhaps elsewhere, too.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Never heard that before. I think both mayo and miracle whip have their places. We need not throw one or the other out?

• Tally
    9 years ago

Ick - Miracle Whip tastes awful. Hellman mayo is OK, but now we only use Vegenaise.

• linda_6
    9 years ago

Never did like Miracle Whip. I've always used Hellman's.
    I slice my cucumbers thin, add thinly sliced onions and sour cream with a little salt and pepper. Maybe add a few cherry tomatoes also.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I've never heard THAT! :0) Never heard whang used in a sentence either.....lol

I don't like sugar in my mayo....or in my potato salad....

• joan_mn
    9 years ago

I like MW and Hellman's mayo. But not together! LOL.

Kathsgrdn, you made me laugh out loud! Thanks for that!

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Nicole, I agree; why would anyone put sugar in any sort of deli salad?

The last time I wanted to buy potato salad at the larger grocery store I tasted a sample. Yuck; it tasted like a desert. I asked to see one of the ingredients label. Sure enough, sugar was listed.

It takes longer, but I but the raw ingredients and now make my own potato, or egg, or pasta salad. At least I have some control over what's in it, and I know it will taste good.

It seems the American diet is so sugar based now, from baby formula to everything we eat, that we can't taste anything but "sweet."

And do get me started on salt!

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Nicole, I agree; why would anyone put sugar in any sort of deli salad?

The last time I wanted to buy potato salad at the larger grocery store I tasted a sample. Yuck; it tasted like a desert. I asked to see an ingredients label. Sure enough, sugar was listed.

It takes longer, but now I buy the raw ingredients and make my own potato, or egg, tuna, ham, chicken, pasta salads. At least I have some control over what's in them, and I know it will taste good.

It seems the American diet is so sugar based now. From baby formula to everything we eat is sugar, sugar, sugar to the point we can't taste anything but "sweet."

And don't get me started on salt!

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Hi Caroline,

If we get you started on salt ... do we get a taste of a salty tongue?

o j

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

yep.

sugar, salt, & fat.

Manufacturers can add them to anything & fool people into thinking they're getting food.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

OJ, I try so hard to make my words sweet, but I'm afraid I fail miserable. At least "salty" isn't as bad as "drunken sailor"! I've tried to limit "real" swearing to "Oh Helles Belles."

I've sworn to myself to never use the "OMG" that is seen and heard everywhere. I've bit my tongue until it's bled, but now I say "Gracious" or "Oh Gracious" in its stead.

As for salt...I've just about reached 100% salt free. For the first few months I thought I'd die from lack of "flavor" in my foods. Now, everything salt free tastes fine; if I eat anything processed I almost gag from the saltiness.

• dorothy_oahu
    9 years ago

Tally, I only use Vegenaise, too. Tastes much better and doesn't have all that fat in it. 9gms fat and 0 cholesterol.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

HEB has a very good house brand mayonnaise made with olive oil.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

Never heard that saying either, Ang.

My dad often said that something had a "whang" to it. lol And if milk was getting to the "almost" spoiled point-it was "blinky".

My nephews and their wives had been trying to duplicate Gigi's(my mom's) deviled eggs. They finally figured out the "secret" ingredient was MW. I could've told them that! lol