SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Friend's sociopath ex-husband

jewelisfabulous
9 years ago

I have a dear friend who has been divorced for about 10 years now. She and her ex have three children. She has primary physical custody of all three. Her ex has remarried (to a woman he cheated on her with), but still does what he can to disrupt her life or upset her. He has to maintain control over her. Every year, he takes a different tactic.

Two years ago, he pitched a fit about the children's after school activities. The activities weren't underwritten by him nor was his visitation affected. The activities aren't dangerous or controversial in any way. He flooded her with legal paperwork, which ran up her attorney's bills. In the end, zero changes made to the details of their custody and parenting agreements.

Last year, he harassed her (he wanted her to ask for his approval) regarding her summer week-end plans with the kids. Whether it was a picnic in the park or a visit to the strawberry picking farm, he wanted her to seek his permission first. Again, he wasn't paying extra child support to underwrite the plans and the plans weren't interfering with his time with the kids. Again, he ran up her attorney's bills with a zero sum result.

This year, it seems that his goal is to undermine her confidence as a mother. Anyone who knows her, knows that she is an awesome Mom who very diligently takes care of all the details for her kids whether it's completing a form for school, going to parent meetings for the kid's sports teams, hand-making H'ween costumes, etc. Her kids are happy, healthy, and thriving in school.

Regardless, he's decided to call into doubt her ability to manage the details. He accuses her of being late with paperwork, forgetting appointments, etc. None of which is the slightest bit true.

Now for the good part: I'm in a position to know whether or not HE is managing HIS end of child caring details. Lately, my office contacted him several times about some missing info that he failed to provide about one of his children. He has ignored every one of the communications (calls, emails, and letters to his home). To this day, he has still not provided the details needed. He's delinquent in his responsibility by MONTHS. Furthermore, his failure to provide the info doesn't really affect HIM, but it does affect his child. So that that doesn't happen, my office is going to pick up the slack and get the info a different way.

I so wish I could help my friend feel better by telling that her ex is totally "the pot calling the kettle black"! It would be awesome to give her this bit of ammunition to throw back in his face the next time he questions her about her ability to care for their children. Unfortunately, I could lose my position if I told her that he is guilty of the exact thing in which he's accusing her.

So that I don't bust out with it next time I see her, I'm telling you good people. WHAT. A. TOOL!!

This post was edited by Jewel654 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 13:50

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!