Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me use up my coconut milk

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 13:14

Last week I made a chicken curry and rice dish using some coconut milk. I have some leftover. If you know of anything that uses coconut milk, please share. I suppose it will freeze, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me use up my coconut milk

I have made butternut squash soup, and potato soup using coconut milk.
I especially like the squash, it was delicious....no recipe just mixed the milk with pureed squash, salt, pepper, butter and curry.
of course any smoothie would be great too.

o

Oh, Patrick O'Connel's coconut Ice cream (in his Refined American Cuisine cookbook) is to die for! when I stayed at his inn, it was served in a chocolate semi-sphere so it looked like a half coconut. I've made it at home, and it was just as good.

o

I made this last Thanksgiving as a side dish:

Fiery Sweet Potatoes
Time: About 2 hours

5 pounds sweet potatoes
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt.

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes on a baking sheet until very soft, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash.

2. In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk with curry paste over low heat. Mix coconut milk mixture, half the sugar, half the butter, and salt into potatoes. Keep warm until ready to serve, or cover and refrigerate up to two days.

3. At least 30 minutes before serving, heat oven to 425 degrees. Put potatoes in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover potatoes, dot with remaining butter and sugar and broil until brown and crusty on top, checking often to prevent scorching.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

Or my version of the recipe which might make the kitchen less hot.

Bob's Fiery Sweet Potatoes
Time: About 40 minutes

5 pounds sweet potatoes
2 carrots (sliced thin)
1 Tbsp oil
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon Thai Kitchen red curry paste
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt.

1. Peel and cube potatoes, place in large pot of water, and bring to a boil.

2. In a small frying pan heat oil over medium high heat, and add carrots, and cook and stir until they are lightly browned and starting to caramelize.

3. Reduce heat to low, add curry paste, and half the butter. Stir. Add the coconut milk and half the brown sugar. Stir.

4. Drain potatoes, lightly mash them and place in baking dish, then stir in the carrot/coconut milk mixture.

5. You can either serve it at this point or heat it further in the oven as follows: heat oven to 425 degrees. Cover potatoes with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover potatoes, dot with remaining butter and sugar and broil until brown and crusty on top, checking often to prevent scorching.

o

Use it in rice pudding along with your regular milk. Tastes great!

o

It freezes, but you might have to give a good shake or stir when you thaw it. Other than that thawed coconut milk is great in your recipes.

But if you made your original dish last week I don't think I'd recommend freezing it now. Same day or day after I'd have frozen it.

That's if I was being efficient. Me, who has 3/4's of a quart of buttermilk in the refrigerator right now. I needed a cup (a week ago) and Safeway had only quarts, I bought the quart rather than make another stop at a second store and we don't drink it.

o

I say go for Bob's sweet potatoes (the first recipe). That sounds delish! Or you could use it as part of the milk in any pudding or tapicoa.

If you had a full can, I'd say stick it in the frig and make whipped cream out of it the next day.

o

Use it half and half with water when you make rice. So good!

o

I'll bring the pineapple - can you chill a couple of glasses?

Here is a link that might be useful: I'll Bring The Pineapple

o

Morz8,
Did you know you can buy powdered buttermilk?? I didn't until a year or so ago.Dh does the cooking here and he kept buying qts of buttermilk for things then the rest would go to waste,because he always forgot to put it in the freezer.Then I was taking with my sister one day and she told me it came in powder form,so that's what we keep on hand now.
Kathi

o

To make buttermilk, I recently combined some plain yogurt and milk to use in my bran muffins. They came out beautifully, just like when I use buttermilk.

o

I'll look for the powdered buttermilk, thank you for that tip. Does your product have the same nice moist/rich consistency then when it's baked?

I needed the buttermilk for two of those brownie bar sheet cakes (just 1/2 C each), my sis in law had asked for them for a dinner she was having, so since taking them someplace of course wanted them perfect...

o

You can make sour milk in place of butter milk. For every cup of milk, pour in a tsp of vinegar. Let it set a few minutes. It will curdle a bit. Stir into your recipe. I use it all the time instead of buttermilk.

o

I like coconut milk in my morning coffee. Mmmm.

o

I only drink coconut milk -- haven't had cow's milk in ages. Coconut milk is so much better nutritionally than cow's milk.

We make smoothies in our Blendtec all the time, and I use coconut milk in place of cow's milk when a recipe calls for milk. You can find smoothie recipes all over the place, including on the Blendtec site and on the Vitamix site. I will say that the Vitamix recipe site is better organized than the Blendtec recipe site, but all of the Vitamix recipes can be made in a Blendtec.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here