Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need your healing thoughts

Posted by jodi_in_so_calif (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 13:06

I have never asked the KT for something like this but it's time to call in every healing thought I can.

December 2010, Ginger, my non-smoker sister-in-law, then 43, experienced pain and tightness in her chest and was taken to the hospital where they ran some tests and discovered she had nearly a liter of fluid around her heart. They drained it and sent it off to a lab. Results came back that there were cancer cells in the fluid. Further tests revealed she was in stage 4 cancer involving her lymph nodes, bone and lungs. Because Ginger was otherwise very healthy young woman, doctors decided to treat her cancer aggressively.

In the last 18 months Ginger has gone through chemo, radiation and surgery and remarkably no trace of cancer was found at her last scan a couple months ago. Radiation was especially tough on her and it burned a large hole in her esophagus. It was months before she could eat anything at all by mouth. Swallowing saliva alone was extremely painful. The doctors finally put a feeding tube in and the hole was finally healing. Or so they thought. She was cleared to take a much needed vacation so they were down here visiting us last week.

While visiting us she ate both solid foods and liquid through her feeding tube. While she looked tired, she was in good spirits as she always is. The doctors told her once she was eating regular sized meals they'd remove the feeding tube. So that was her goal.

Saturday night, after her, my brother and 10 year old niece got home to Northern Calif., Ginger started experiencing horrible pains in her chest again. She was rushed to the hospital where it was determined she had food in her lung. It seems the hole in her esophagus was not healed after all and was letting food pass directly into her lung. Emergency surgery was done to clear out her lung and now they are trying to figure out what to do about her esophagus. She is currently heavily sedated and on a breathing tube. My brother called me in tears last night, so frightened she will not pull through.

Please send some healing thoughts and prayers our way so Ginger can overcome this new challenge in her life and to give my brother and niece some strength to deal with yet another blow. Thank you.

Jodi-

This is Ginger, niece Sierra and brother Gregg. Taken last Friday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need your healing thoughts

Bless her heart, what an awful thing to have happen. She and her family will be in my prayers.

PegNE

o

Good thoughts and prayers on their way.

o

OH, JOdi! I'm so sorry. Sending healing thoughts and
prayers. Hang in there Ginger! YOu can do it!

o

I am so sorry to hear about the struggle that your family has been experiencing and am sending many healing thoughts and prayers your way. (((HUGS)))))too.

o

Sending good thoughts and prayers to the family.

o

She has my prayers too.

Shirley

o

Jodi, of course you have my good thoughts as well. All the best for Ginger and her family.

o

What a scary situation, my very best wishes for a fast and full recovery.

o

Jodi, they are all in my prayers.

o

You got them Jodi. I am so sorry the family has to go through this.

o

So, so sorry. Sending extra good thoughts and virtual hugs to your beautiful niece Sierra. It's so difficult when you're an adult daughter to deal with parents' medical situations. But to be so young...

o

Of course I will pray for your family!

o

Special thoughts for your family!

o

Ohhh Jodi, they are all in my thoughts & prayers, as well as you & your family! ~ liz

o

How terrible. Sending good thoughts for Ginger and the whole family!

o

So sorry, sending healing thoughts and prayers her way.

o

I am sending happy thoughts.....sorry to hear of this....

o

Jodi, my thoughts and prayers are with your brother and his family. Satine

o

Sending positive and healing thoughts out to Ginger. This family has had so much to deal with..my heart goes out to them and you, Jodi.

o

Oh, Jodi. How very sad. She has been through so much. Healing thoughts and prayers coming Ginger's way and hugs to you, Ginger and her family.

o

Beautiful family, Jodi, and I'll keep Ginger in my thoughts. So sorry they--and you--have to go through this.

o

My best thoughts go out to her right now. She looks like a lovely person.

o

Definitely on my prayer list! Hugs and healing thoughts coming her way!

o

How awful. Best wishes for her and the family, come your way. Keep us posted.

o

HUGS and good thoughts go out to you

o

Sending healing thoughts to your SIL.

o

Looks like your healing thoughts are working! I am just elated with the news today. Just got a call from my brother saying she is finally off the respirator, is alert, but cannot talk because of tubes, etc. She is currently undergoing breathing exercises. They will give her a couple days to heal from the lung surgery and then put a stent in her esophagus. Not sure what that means but it's supposed to promote healing.

Good job KT!

Jodi-

o

Your family is in my prayers.

Ron

o

I am so very happy to hear that Ginger is off the respirator!!!

Sending wishes for her continuing swift recovery!

o

Oh, great news, bless her heart, she's been thru a lot! Good thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery for Ginger. What a great looking family you have, Auntie Jodi!

o

That is such great news, everyone must be so relieved. Continued best wishes for her recovery.

o

Ginger has amazed me every day since her cancer diagnosis. She has kept such a positive outlook and despite constant fatigue, tries to not let it slow her down. This was the first incident where she was non-responsive after a treatment and my poor brother was beside himself.

The first thing she did after she finished breathing therapy was text me with the details of the last few days. She apparently did not know I had spoken with my brother a couple times. She just wanted to make sure I knew what was going on. She's awesome that way. Not sure I'd be so willing to keep everyone in the loop with the last bit of my strength I had.

It's still touch and go but much better news than yesterday. And for that, I'm so grateful.

Jodi-

o

Jodi, I am sooo sorry to hear of the bad news, and really happy to hear of the good news!! Continued thoughts and prayers Ginger's way. She looks like a strong person, and hopefully will continue the fight. Best thoughts for your brother and neice and for the rest of your family.

o

My prayers are added too.

Sue

o

add my prayers for everyone.

o

My prayers are that she will recover from this ordeal and go on to surprise everyone. I will pray for the family too.

o

Joining the others in sending caring thoughts to Ginger and her family, and to you, Jodi.

o

Prayers and good thoughts for all of your family. They're such a nice-looking family.

o

Yes praying also.

o

Sending healing thoughts for your SIL Ginger. I hope she is feeling much better very soon.

o

Thoughts & prayers for your SIL & Family

o

Special thoughts and prayers going out to your brother and his family. Ginger is such a trooper, it has to be hard to keep upbeat while going through this.

o

Prayer just said for Ginger.

o

Good healing thoughts for her Jodi and for all the family...It's so hard watching someone you love suffer.

o

Glad to hear she is doing better. Sending good thoughts and prayers.

o

Good thoughts and prayers for your SIL. Hope she continues to do better.

o

Saying prayers and sending good healing thoughts to Ginger, Gregg, and Sierra. (((( Jodi )))))

o

What a tough path she and her family have had. I'm so glad she's improving now. All good thoughts and prayers to your whole family.

Ginger sounds to me like a fiesty little fighter, good for her!

o

I will be praying for Ginger and all of her family.

o

Glad to hear Ginger is improving. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.

o

I'm glad to hear that she is improving.

o

How is she doing, Jodi?

o

Sending good thoughts and prayers for your SIL. Warm hugs to you and her family too.

o

I'm glad to hear there have been some improvements in Ginger's situation!! I am praying for many more to come until she is back with her family cancer free!!

o

Thanks for asking Kat. Ginger is still in the hospital. The doctors put a stent in her esophagus last Friday and it seems to be doing its job.

Not sure how much longer she'll be in the hospital as I haven't heard from my brother in a few days. Usually if things get worse, I'm the first one my brother calls so I'm hoping everything is going as expected.

Jodi-

o

In this case, no news really is good news then. You've all been in my thoughts, Jodi.

o

I just texted my brother and he says Ging is still in a lot of pain but at least feels good enough to see their 10 year old daughter today.

Ging may be at the hospital another week because they still don't have her lung infection under control.

Gosh, I wish I could fly up there to take care of everyone who is hurting in one way or another.

Jodi-

o

Every little of improvement is worth celebrating and I'm also sending continuing good thoughts and healing prayers to you and Ginger and the family. She sounds like a real trooper.(((((HUGS)))))

o

Your dear SIL, her family, and you are in my prayers.

I am so sorry to hear this news, Jodi.

o

Jodi, I will continue to keep Ginger and the family in my prayers

o

Sending good thoughts to Ginger and her family. I hope you continue to get good updates Jodi.

Anne

o

Keeping Ginger, her family, including you in my prayers.

o

Glad to hear she could see her daughter. Hoping for a good outcome, Jodi.

o

Dear Jodi,

Thank you for sharing that picture of your brother and family ... doesn't that daughter just sparkle?

How good to hear that Ginger is improving, even though it appears that there is a long road ahead.

Sending many good thoughts and hopes, for them, and your family, and others who love her.

Offering some prayers of behalf of Ginger and for all of you.

Good wishes to all of you through the coming days.

ole joyful

o

Thanks gals and ole joyful for your comments. My sweet niece not only sparkles visually, she is one of the coolest kids I've ever met. So engaging and smart, very, very smart.

We are going up to see them the in a couple weeks. We traditionally go to Northern Calif where they live (and where DH and I grew up) every year to celebrate our anniversary, which is Sept 15th.

Jodi-

o

Healing thoughts continue for Ginger. Good that you are going up to see them in a couple of weeks and give them some much needed comfort and support.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here