Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Book recommendation

Posted by pam_25f (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 12:19

I recently read War Brides by Helen Ryan and enjoyed it. Historical fiction. The book starts in contemporary times with an older woman leading a group of tourists to England. She and 3 other women who haven't seen each other since WWII are meeting up in the village where they met during the war. Circumstances brought these 4 very different women together and they are returning to address some unfinished business.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Book recommendation

I see this is $1.99 for Kindle at Amazon.com... free if you are a Prime member. Thanks for the review Pam!

o

Lydia, please let me know if you like it.

o

The Witness by Nora Roberts. I keeps you on the end of your seat from the beginning to the end.
Eileen

o

I'm reading Gone Girl, and it's the best book I've read in many years. Also What Alice Forgot is another winner. Two great books back to back. GG is number 1 on NYTimes list.

o

Lily316... I just reserved Gone Girl at my library, I am number 359 on the list, haha, so maybe next year! What Alice Forgot is available, though and I will pick that one up today.
Eileen.... I cannot find The Witness in my library's records online, I will have to go to Barnes and Noble I guess.

Thanks for all the recs!

o

Defending Jacob is an excellent read.

o

Jenna..I recommended Gone Girl to my librarian and when she put it on the list, she was 299. I went to the authors website and told her how much I liked her book and recommended it to so many and received a nice thank you from her. I reserved her other two books as well.

I read Defending Jacob. It was good, husband didn't like it though.

I'm now reading Before I go to Sleep..S J Watson. Another amnesia book but am liking it so far.

o

I just looked up Gone Girl and it looks really good.

o

lily316: I did the same thing. Ordered Flynn's two previous books after reading Gone Girl. She did win awards in the mystery genre for both. I have finished Dark Places, which is quite good. Looking forward to Sharp Objects in my TBR pile now.

Enjoy your books.

o

Stephen King's 11/22/63--what a great read!

o

Lily, I just read Before I Go To Sleep and enjoyed it. Amazing story isn't it. I know it is fiction, but loosely based on the lives of 2 real people.

Also recently read Julie and Romeo by Jeanne Ray - easy fun summer romance for seniors :)

o

I read Before I Go To Sleep. I thought it was okay. It got a little repetitive for me, and I didn't think the writing was all that good, but I thought it was a good summer vacation type of book. It sure was a nail biter and I had fun trying to figure out what was really going on throughout the book. I can't remember a book that ever got my heart pumping like the end of that one did!

o

My daughter put Gone Girl on her Kindle and sent it to my I-Pad, and phone. I enjoyed it a lot!! Highly recommend it.

o

Jenn..I'm only 1/4 way thru the book ,and it's good but not nearly as good as Gone Girl. I should be the author's publicist. I've gotten so many people reading it...lol. Daughter just downloaded it to her Nook.

o

Jenna, The Witness is a fairly new book. However, our library has had it for about a month now. Tomorrow I pick up Gone Girl from the library..it's taken a while to be able to get it. I read Defending Jacob, also, and I truly liked it.
Right now I'm reading Black Hill by Nora Roberts. Almost done and it's quite good...kind of a romance that turns into a big mystery.
Eileen

o

Not My Kid by Mary Billiter is REALLY good. I'm having trouble putting it down and I'm almost through it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here