Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dove Soap is clogging my drain

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 12:12

Does anyone else have this problem with Dove Hand Soap.

Lately my drains have been clogging up because of this soap, seems to just fall apart, it is almost like pouring hand cream down the drain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dove Soap is clogging my drain

The ingredients they list:

Water, Petrolatum, Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycerin, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Lauric Acid, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance, Cocamide MEA, PEG 5 Cocamide, PEG 14M, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Lauryl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

So you see, it is much closer to hand lotion than hand wash.

Options you have are to switch brands, or use a lye based drain cleaner on a regular basis to keep drains flowing.

o

I'm assuming this is a liquid hand soap? I've used Dove bar soap for years and still do. It's the only one I use.

o

because of this soap, seems to just fall apart,

I'm guessing the soap is probably setting in moisture from repeated uses. You might try one of those little plastic things that has short prongs on it, so it keeps the soap elevated from sitting in the wetness at the bottom of the dish.

o

Are you talking about bottled hand soap or the bar? I have used the bar for years without a problem. I love it and my dermatologist recommends it.

How do you know the soap is the problem?

o

Even the "grease" in the hand soap shouldn't be enough to clog the drain. You probably have some hair down there the soap is latching on to and building up enough to clog the drain entirely. Clear the real problem (hair or other obstruction) and the soap problem will go away.

o

I've used Dove soap since I was a young girl and the only drain problems we've ever had have been from hair.

o

If the bar is falling apart and chunks are going down there, you need to break them up or run enough HOT water to dissolve it. But I agree your main problem may be other obstructions. Have you tried a snake?

o

I use Dove bar soap and have no problems with it clogging the drain.

o

When I first read this post, I thought you said "Dove Soap is clogging my brain" Ha!

Trin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here