Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parasail Accident

Posted by gemini40 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 12:04

OMG just read about a 28 yr. old woman from Ct. who was killed in Pompano Beach Fl.when the harness on her parasail gave way.. Enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parasail Accident

When I was in high school, a man that knew had a best friend whose wife was killed parasailing! There's no way in heck I'd do that!

o

We had that very thing happen here in Panama City a while back - these parasailers drive us nutty here on our beach, and for this to happen in front of a beach full of people is WRONG - they need to put a stop to it, imho!

o

parasailing in FL is totally unregulated and it never will be. no one here wants regulations on them of any sort...they would rather trick tourists into doing it, not knowing they have several accidents a year. the place in pompano had someone else die in 2007...that time the parachute came off the tow line and the woman was pulled into a nearby tall building and hit it. ~ liz

o

Is that the same thing Glenda did recently with her grandson?

o

This, ziplining, jet-skiing and biking (braking) down Haleakala volcano are the big touristy gimmicks on Maui. Is it not enough to enjoy Hawaii without this fake 'thrill' stuff? I've seen too many endangered sea turtles with hunks taken out of their shells by stupid motor boats.

AFAIK there are no inspections for these activities. For instance, permits are required during construction of a zipline, but there are no ongoing safety inspections of the operation.

o

Water + Height = DANGER anyway you look at it.

o

I live in Ft Lauderdale every two months. I remember a couple of years ago, a young female parasailer actually hit the side of a beach-front hotel and was killed. Why in the world is there enough rope to be able to do that???

o

redcurls that is the same incident i referenced...same parasailing company. the parachute & woman separated from the tow line and there was a storm blowing inland, she was blown into the high-rise. i can't understand why people would even want to do that in FL if not the rest of the country, maybe CA coastline. there is nothing spectacular about these areas to me to do this...now maybe outside this country ~ liz

o

There was an accident in our area recently like that although it was hang gliding and the girl died. What was so awful was that her boyfriend had bought her the trip for her birthday and he saw it happen.

o

Another 'beats-me' hobby I just can't grasp is parachuting from an airplane aka skydiving - I mean, REALLY?! Another one that buffaloes me is those experimental little airplanes that people get themselves killed in - what is UP with that?!

o

and what did my ds and dil do? she took one dgd, and he took the other! omg! this was up in upper michigan!

o

Yes, my grandson and I did.

No, would not do it knowing what I know now.

BUT we did, have awesome pictures and memories that will last forever.

o

Glender, I have no words except to say I'm glad you're home safely.

o

I don't understand the reference to "fake thrill". Why is that kind of thrill fake?

I'm not condeming it as many are. Myself, I wouldn't have the guts! Heights and all. But it is one of those things that you could say "for all of the bazillions of times it's done, the accidents are rare". Like flying in an airplane, snow skiing, whatever.

o

I guess if we thought about how dangerous it was to get in our cars and get out there and drive, we wouldn't do that either.

o

I agree with Iowagirl.....

I do believe in being cautious with your life but the truth is, you can't live your life being afraid to do something that you want to do. That's what the bucket list is all about and in Glenda's place, I probably would have done it as well.....She probably puts his life in more danger by picking him up at school than a parasailing trip.

o

I agree with Iowagirl too.

Accidents happen ALL the time and people get hurt or killed. People accidentally die swimming, running, biking, boating, crossing streets, driving cars, hiking, etc. etc. etc. We all have to take risks sometimes in order to live life to the fullest. I'd rather take some risks and have a fun life than never leave my couch for fear of death.

I've parasailed and it was awesome and I would definitely do it again.

o

This sport is not for me! I have a terrible fear of heights. I secretly admire my sister, who does karate, parchute diving, horse jumping and scubadiving. She got all the courage in the family. I do enjoy Gentle Yoga.

o

We need to walk, drive, etc. We don't need to take unnecessary risks, but...to each his own.

My neighbor spent most of two years caring for her DS who broke one leg and both wrists hang-gliding. He was 30.

o

As my grandson said, today,there are risks you encounter every single day. He's glad we did the parasailing excursion and he would again. Great adventure and awesome experience.

To each his own, and our choice!

We did and glad we did.

Do it again? Probably not, but we did. Done!

o

Good for you, Glenda, and for Parke, Jr.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here