Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I checked this with Snopes

Posted by linda_in_iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 11:38

I got an e-mail that said mayo does not cause food poisoning in potato salad, it is the onion that causes it. Once you cut an onion and use it, you should throw out the left over onion. Mayo sits in jars on store shelves and does not need to be refrigerated at home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I checked this with Snopes

"Mayo sits in jars on store shelves and does not need to be refrigerated at home."

Once opened, the jar of mayo should always be refrigerated.

o

According to Snopes, that is false.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cut onion contamination

o

Huh. I checked on Snopes to see what you were saying and it says onions causing food poisoning isn't true.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's their link to the tainted onions

o

Green onions were linked to an e. coli outbreak a few years ago, but that went back to farm and processing for one batch.

o

The reason it can sit on the shelf in the store is because it is sealed and not been exposed to air once it is open it needs to be refrigerated it says on the jar refrigerate after opening.

However I grew up not knowing this and our mayo was always kept in the cabinet in the Louisiana heat and none of us died! I honestly think back to those days and just shake my head! I have no idea why mom kept it in the cabinet and not in the fridge. I changed that once I got into home ec and found out where it should be kept.

not everyone puts onions in potato salad

o

I never use a whole onion and always keep a part wrapped and in the fridge. I've never been sick from eating left over potato salad with onions either.

Sue

o

Left over onion left in a sealed container work well in salads and other things you don't want all the heat in. Americans throw too much perfectly good food. Shame shame.

o

The strange this is....whenever I get an e-mail telling me that Snopes has confirmed it...it is JUST THE OPPOSITE. I think it's so people won't bother to check.

o

If YOU checked it with Snopes, you know it is false. If you just indicated that someone else checked it with Snopes and they found it true, they were lying.

o

I keep cut onions wrapped in foil and use it until it's all gone, never gotten sick from it and never had it go the least bit bad.

I watched a show a long time ago about food poisoning issues and they said that mayo alone wasn't a big culprit, but that once you mixed it with a protein (chicken, egg, meat, cheese), then it became more dangerous and that you needed to keep it cold.

o

My daughters ex's grandpa kept open mayo on the shelf in New Orleans forever. He died @ 86 from a heart attack. I keep my open mayo in the fridge.

o

One has to read the entire Snopes page since taking bits and pieces isn't totally accurate. The one thing on which virtually every reputable source agrees is food poisoning is caused by one thing: bacteria. This can come from a variety of sources and possibly multiple sources. Dirty hands, dirty utensils, dirty surfaces, poor food handling procedures can all contribute to this. Potatoes, eggs, pasta and other ingredients can all support bacteria. Keeping things clean and at proper temps are the safest bet.

When someone says I brought (insert dish) because it doesn't have mayo in it so it's safe I usually pass on it. If they fall for that, they probably prepare things in less than sanitary conditions. Homemade is not always better.

o

Have any of you seen the TV commercial where a gal says she "read it online so it must be true" Her friend says "Where did you hear that?" Together they both say "Online".

Nuf said.

o

I agree with Flamingo..I never throw away onion. I use it until it is gone and some of the onions from my garden where as big as saucers.

o

New here, but have to answer why the onions/potatoes are a problem *after* they are cut. The problem is on the outside skin~~once you've cut into it, the bacteria has been transfered to the inside making it tainted. The trick is to wash ALL veggies/fruit BEFORE cutting into it. Do you wash cantaloupe, watermelon, avocodos, even oranges, lemon, limes? Most people don't give it a second thought, and cut right into the fruit/veg.

As for the lemon slice put on the rim of the glass when you go out to dinner? More than likely that hasn't been washed, so is contaminating your water. Ask for no lemon, please. ;o)

o

Yes, patty-cakes is right. Always wash your food before you cut it, take off
the outer part of the onion before you cut in to them, that is how the ecoli happens in melons etc...

o

Did you know you should never put a lemon or lime slice in your drink at a restaurant? You can squeeze the juice in but do not drop into your drink. The rind is very dirty from being handled so much, and may carry bacteria.

o

The alcohol in my drink will kill me before the dirty
lime slice. If you hung out in restaurant
kitchens, you'd never eat out again. I eat all my onion.
I keep mayo in the fridge after it's open. What with
all these scare emails, it's a wonder we've lived so long.

o

I live in a community of seniors and most are scared of everything, close the blinds 24/7 afraid the boogey man is going to get them. They say things like "oh I wouldn't eat in a restaurant". They have lost their ability to enjoy life. I drop my lemon in my glass and have forever. Never had food poisoning, the flu and very few colds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here