Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot to put cooked food in frig - out all night

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:37

Looking for consensus regarding what to do about this delicious Jambalaya that hubby made last night for dinner. Left it on the stove to put away after cooling (we ate it at 7:00pm). We both forgot about it. I didn't notice until 11:00am probably due to washed pots/pans air drying on the stove from clean up the night before.

Lid wasn't on all the way since I vented it to cool quicker. Sausage, kabasi, shrimp, rice, and veggies in the Jambalaya. I'm embarrassed to even ask this, but, if I frig it now, do you think it's safe to eat later this week? I suppose it's a gamble. There was enough to eat again and even freeze some. It was out for 14 hours by the time is was room temp. Best one he's ever made. I'm worried about possible bacteria. Oh well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot to put cooked food in frig - out all night

Toss it.

o

I hate it when I do that.....

yeah, you have to chuck it out.

o

I'd be afraid to eat it. Bet it was delicious last night. Love jambalaya!

o

I've done that a few times! Best bet is to toss.

o

Sorry to say it, but it needs to be tossed. Cooked shrimp is especially prone to developing bacteria quickly.

o

I am a retired 'lunchlady' Serve Safe Certified~~~Toss it;(

o

my life is too important to take a massive chance like that...I would also never let that happen to anyone I knew. Heck after 1 hr off heat, it's questionable really.

I am psychotic about food borne microbiology, had lab classes where we secretly tested restaurants and it kept me from eating out for many years LOL! I used to teach medical microbiology for IUPUI med school. ~ liz

o

I've done that accidentally a few times. Much as I hate it, because it's usually something delicious, out it goes! Please don't eat it. You take the chance of getting really sick if you do. You might get lucky, but is it worth taking a chance?

o

Thanks all. Tossing it is exactly what I figured. Was hopeful though. Out it goes.

o

I have a high tolerance for things - but that would have to go.

o

With the shrimp in it, I would pitch it. If I leave something out overnight and it is all veggie, I still eat it.

o

"When in doubt,throw it out."

o

Not only the shrimp, but rice is also a great place for bacteria to grow. Much as I would hate to do it, I'd have to toss it.

o

Definitely shrimp and rice would make me not trust it.

o

I hate it when I do it but you could always feed it to someone you don't like and if they don't get sick, they you are ok to keep it, otherwise I'd toss it...

o

Try it on the dog.

If it hasn't grown fur after a couple of days in the frig ... it might be O.K. - the jambalaya, that is, not the dog.

Try a small taste first ... wait a few hours.

Let us know if you survive.

o j

o

Better to toss it out than to toss it up (and worse!).

o

I would usually say it's ok, but not with the shrimp. Sorry. I have eaten things that I have forgotten to refrigerate overnight, but if it has seafood or poultry as an ingredient, I wouldn't take the chance.

o

The only time I was ever sick with food poisoning was from shrimp gone bad in a restaurant meal. .

o

I've had food poisoning once in my life. It was so awful I now throw out anything that's been sitting. Once hubby bought a big package of in-the-shell shrimp, left it in the car overnight, the next day it smelled SO BAD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here