Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snack recipes / ideas?

Posted by houstonmom (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 11:27

We are playing Bunco tonight and were asked to bring a snack that can be consumed while we play. In the past, there have been peanut's, M & M's, popcorn, mixed nuts (you get the drift!) Does anyone have any recipes or idea's to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snack recipes / ideas?

I served these before and were a big hit!

Cinnamon pretzels
1 (16 ounce) package small pretzels (use mini pretzel twists)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 300º.

In a large roasting pan add the pretzels, and spread the pretzels out evenly in the pan.

In a small bowl add the oil, sugar, and cinnamon; stir thoroughly to blend ingredients together.

Pour the oil-cinnamon-sugar mixture over the pretzels; toss well to coat the pretzels with the mixture.

Place roasting pan in oven, bake uncovered for 30 minutes, and stirring twice during baking time (every 10 minutes).

Place baked pretzels onto a baking sheet that has been lined with wax paper.

Spread pretzels out as evenly as you can, to allow them to cool before serving.

**You might want to shake off excess cinnamon before serving

o

Of course these are always great!

Rolo pretzels
Small pretzels
ROLO Chewy Caramels in Milk Chocolate
Pecan halves

Directions

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil.

2 Place one pretzel for each pretzel treat desired on prepared sheet. Top each pretzel with one unwrapped ROLO Chewy Caramel in Milk Chocolate.

3 Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until caramel piece begins to soften, but not melt. Remove from oven; top with either pecan half or additional pretzel. Cool completely.

o

Little sandwiches like egg salad, chicken salad or pimento cheese would be good. Make the sandwiches, cut off the crust and cut into 4ths.

Or how about sausage puffs?

1 lb. hot sausage
1 lb. mild sausage
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
4 c. Bisquick

Have sausages and cheeses at room temperature. Mix together (use your hands). Add Bisquick and mix again,. Roll into small balls and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Makes 75-80.

o

One more and I'm out of here :o)

I served these at a recent club picnic:

red and green grapes
pepper jack cheese cubes

**I also had cheddar cheese cubes but the pepper jack cubes went before the cheddar cheese. Guess it was the heat and the sweet that made everything good.

o

Probably too late for tonight, but maybe next time.

Alabama Firecrackers (from: The South in my Mouth)

1 c. vegetable oil
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
3 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (crushed) or less
1 pound Ritz crackers

Whisk the oil, dressing mixes and red pepper flakes in a bowl to combine thoroughly. Put the mixture in a 2 gallon plastic zipper bag. Put the crackers in the bag, seal and turn the bag over to cover the crackers with the spice mix. Let the bag sit for about an hour, then turn again. Repeat several more times until the crackers are well-coated with the mix and allow the bag to sit refrigerated overnight. Remove crackers and serve with dip:

Zesty dip:

16 oz. sour cream
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Combine thoroughly and chill at least an hour.

o

I'm still here :o)

Quick and easy cheese puffs
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 cups cheese, grated

Beat the egg in the milk; mix together with the flour, baking powder, salt and grated cheese.

Put large teaspoonfuls on a cold greased tray.

Bake for 10 minutes in a hot oven 400 degrees

o

Glenda & Pattie...always the faithful posters! Thanks for your responses. I love the sausage balls, but have not heard of the other recipes. I'm most intrigued by the Alabama Firecrackers!

o

Mine is similar to Patti's. When I make them for family, I have to serve in individual bags, in equal amts or else one person hoards the container :o)

Marinated cheese crackers
1/2 cup salad dressing *scant less than 1/2 c
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 .4 oz pk ranch buttermilk dressing
2 7 oz boxes cheese crackers
mix seasonings, pour over crackers in a zip log bag
store overnite Lay flat in refrigerator
turn several times to coat crackers

Let them reach room temperature before serving

o

SNACK MIX

1 small bag of pretzels
1 pkg. small oyster crackers
2 pkg. gold fish
1 box white cheddar cheez-its

Combine all in large baking pan

Mix together:

3/4 C Canola oil
1 Pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Salad mix
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Pour over pretzel mixture, toss well. Bake 275 15-20 min. tossing occ.

o

I was looking a pinterest this morning thinking about some baby shower foods, and this wet my appetite. It would be great and healthy for a get together of any kind.
I think cheese added would be nice too.

o

My favorite snack mix.

Small pretzel twists or sticks
M&M's
Original Goldfish
Party peanuts

Oh and Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies...
Traditional peanut butter/chocolate...
But they have so many combo ideas now...Lemon, butterscotch.......

o

These are really good.
little smokies sausage ( the little miniature ones)
bacon
brown sugar
wrap bacon around little smokie, roll in brown sugar
lay them on a broiler pan cook in oven till bacon is crispy or done to your liking. I set my oven around 350 or so.
Spear them on a toothpick

I like the small cut up pieces of beef sticks, you can buy those by the package in beef or turkey. I put a piece of those and a cheese cube together on a toothpick, if I have them I add a seedless grape. The flavors are great together. I find those packages of the beef stick pieces either where the beef jerky is in some stores they have it in the refrigerated area near the cheese.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snack bites sausage

o

I think I got this recipe from this site, hmmmm, Coated Grapes, or Sugared Grapes. Now I can't even remember the correct name. lol

Buy seedless grapes, dampen them then roll in jello powder. I bought green grapes and rolled them in sugar free lime jello. I bought red grapes and rolled them in I think sugar free strawberry jello. Put them in the freezer. Serve.

I was surprised at the number of teens who loved these at our last big family gathering.

o

A big bag of chips!! LOL. My favourite junk food......sigh

o

Again, too late for the Saturday night party, but. . .

Go to Chex.com and you'll find a ton of either sweet or savory snack combinations. They're also reviewed. I like sites where a recipe is reviewed and commented on.

o

I like soynuts. They are whole roasted soybeans, that taste similar to a nut, but healthier. I find them in most of the grocery stores here, either with nuts or in the produce section, near a salad bar?

Banana chips or dried fruit like raisins or cranberries?

Also there is a dessert named Brownie Brittle. It is to die for! Thin crispy sheets of brownie. Very light and tasty! Look up Brownie Brittle.com to see where you buy it-Wegmans and Costco carry it.

Here is a link that might be useful: SoyNuts

o

If I were having a get-together, I would serve those little weenies in bbq sauce and also Scoops with mild, medium and hot sauce - YUM!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here