Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm running out of good books to read.

Posted by vannie (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 11:02

Y'all got any suggestions? My DD put the 50 shades of grey on my I-Pad before she realized what it was, then texted me telling me to please not read then. LOL Just finished "The Year We Left Home." Only okay. Y'all got a good one? One you have trouble putting down? Share!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm running out of good books to read.

I really like Anna Quindlen, but this one was great.

Every Last One

o

It all depends on the genre you prefer. I have a laundry list of really good books but if you don't like the genre, it's a waste of time.

Give us some idea of what you've enjoyed in the past and I'm sure we can come up with some good ones!!!

o

Life of Pi ... one of my all time favorite books about a boy who, after a shipwreck at sea of a ship carrying zoo animals ends up stranded on a raft with some wild animals. The ending will have you scratching your head. The movie is coming out in November of this year.

Sarah's Key ... a heartbreaking story of a little girl who's family is sent to concentration camps during the WWII Nazi occupation in Paris, France. The film is excellent too.

The Poisonwood Bible ... follows the life of a Southern family that moves to the Congo to be missionaries. Each chapter is written in the voice of the three kids in the family.

Jodi-

o

Anything by John Grisham.....We love his books.....

o

My favorite authors are:
James Patterson
Stuart Woods
David Baldacci
Robin Cook
Michael Palmer
Kathy Reichs
J.A. Jance
John J. Nance
Lee Child
Jackie Collins
Barbara Taylor Bradford
Jeffrey Archer

o

for fun laugh out loud the Steph Plumb series by Janet Evanovich, I have read them all.

The southern sisters series also quite funny by Anne George

Thrillers Harlan Coben, Jeffery Deaver,James lee Burke, Dean Koontz

to name just a few.

o

Jodi, I read Life of Pi about 3 years ago and I'm STILL scratching my head! I enjoyed the read though.

o

I love all of the Debbie Macomber books.

o

Any of Debbie Macomber and I also like Fern Michaels. Both are easy reads and feel good books.

o

I'm currently reading "Snow in August" by Pete Hamill. It's the story of a nine year old, Irish Catholic boy and Jewish Rabbi in Brooklyn in 1947. It's different from my usual type of read, but it's really grabbed me.

o

Can anyone remember reading a book about a Vietnam vet who came home and ended up homeless because of his experiences over there. He was walking the street one night and heard a woman screaming and went to her rescue. Her husband or boyfriend was beating her. He beat the guy and told him he would be watching and if he touched her again he would be back. It gave the vet a goal in life to help abused women and children. I cannot remember the name of the book and I would love to read it again. A very good story.

o

Some old favorites of mine include "Watership Down", Stephen King's "The Stand".Tthe Cottage Tales of Beatirx Potter by Susan Wittig Albert...they are all delightful. I also like the Reacher series by Lee Child and Any of the Pendergast novels by Lincoln - Child.
Joann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here