Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ticks are in the news again.......

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:01

Apparently a bite from the Lone Star tick (found in the south and east) can make a person dangerous allergic to red meat--and the allergy might not show up for hours after eating.

Ticks can cause allergy to red meat

I'm on doxycycline again after getting bitten by a deer tick last week--and I removed another embedded one this morning. :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ticks are in the news again.......

Oh, Susan! That is a whole lotta ticks you've removed from yourself. Have you ever considered moving into a less rural area? Though from what you've described, your home sounds most lovely and peaceful. I'm sorry you're dealing with this yet again. Are you a meat-eater?

o

I eat chicken and fish + red meat only when I get a craving. So far, at least, I haven't found any Lone Star ticks here. If I do, that will probably end my cravings. :-)

I've been so good this year about wearing long pants tucked into socks + boots, even in hot weather. Even so, this is my 4th tick bite. The first two were larvae (they look just like ticks except they have fewer legs), so I lucked out there. Larvae are not infected.

o

What do you "do" for your cats to fight against ticks?

o

Sorry for your continuing tick trouble, it's unfortunate. Is there any way for you to reduce your exposure?

o

In addition to being careful about what I wear, I've been better about keeping the grass cut short this year. (Ticks like taller vegetation.) I guess I'll have to start spraying myself. DEET isn't highly regarded as a tick deterrent, plus it carries its own risk. I bought an all-natural product but don't have a lot of confidence in it.

I read recently about using dry ice to make tick traps. I know dry ice attracts ticks because it emits carbon dioxide (I guess I emit quite a bit of it myself), but it doesn't seem to be sold around here. I'd like to try this, so I'll keep looking.

We thought about making tick tubes: cardboard tubes lined with permethrin-treated cotton balls. The idea is that mice (which infect the ticks) enter the tubes, brushing against the cotton. The permethrin kills the ticks attached to the mice. But the permethrin is poisonous to cats, so that's out.

I suppose I could just stay indoors. :-)

Nicole, the cats are treated with Frontline.

o

alisande...thanks....I may use it on my cat.

Sorry to hear about "your" tick troubles. I didn't know about dry ice...interesting...

o

You need to get your hands on one of these little robots, Susan! It sounds really good, and it could only help. Maybe they'll be on the market one of these days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tick-bot!

o

I'll start saving my money now, Flamey--that looks like just what I need!

Oh, wait . . . I'm already saving for my school taxes. And dental work. And then there's the bill for that wood splitter I just bought. The ticks will have to get in line!

o

Was just reading about the Lone Star tick. Very interesting. You are definitely a tick magnate. Maybe they make Frontline for humans……only kidding, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here