SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Home canning, jelly, can I double-batch?

caroline94535
12 years ago

Hey ladies.

A friend and myself are in the throws of making gallons of crab apple jelly. We made the first test batch exactly "by the book" yesterday. It is delicious, beautiful, delicious, firm, delicious, clear ruby red, (with no added coloring or pectins) and, (did I mention? LOL) delicious.

She's outside now, shaking the crab apple tree like some sort of demented monkey on meth. Her long legs, arms, and hair are flailing about in a hail-storm dark red pellets. It's a sight. I'm going to sneak photos to send to her Grandma.

She's put down a clean sheet to catch all the cherry-sized apples. The hardest part of the day is removing the stem and blossom ends on all these tiny, hard, apples.

My question...all the books, instructions, and web sites I've searched say "DO NOT double the batches for jelly." Our recipe makes "5-6 half-pints of jelly." I think I boiled the juice too long because our 3 lbs. of trimmed crabapples, 3 cups water, and 4 cups of sugar yeilded 4 half-pints of jelly. We water-bathed them; they sealed beautifully, but that was a lot of work for four little sparkly red jars of jelly.

Could I double, or treble, the recipe? We want to make 24 jars, at least.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a larger recipe? Anyone want to come help? Can I cook the apples for the juice without removing the blossom ends?

Let's not discuss what making jelly in mass quantities does to ones blood sugar tests, LOL. (I am being sensible...somewhat.)

Comments (11)