Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crock Pot Favorites

Posted by teresava (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 10:25

Hi Ladies,

With cooler weather, school and fall sport schedules coming up, I'm looking for some tried and true Crock Pot recipes or ideas. I love to come home and have it smell like I've been cooking all day long! I also like to double a recipe or make enough for a quick dinner the next night of leftovers!

In the past we have normally done potroasts, meatballs, porkchops or chicken to shred for BBQ sandwiches. My DH is pretty basic, a meat and potatoes type of guy, but he's been getting better with trying new things.

So what are your favorite easy Crock Pot meals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crock Pot Favorites

I love having dinner ready whether I'm gone all day or home. Luckygardnr posted this recipe and we really liked it. I left out the mushrooms and pepper and I used cottage cheese. I'll throw in some garlic next time because we like it. I don't know how many you're feeding, but it makes a lot.

CROCK POT LASAGNA

8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup water
1 small carton of fresh mushrooms (I omitted)
15 oz. ricotta or 24 oz. cottage cheese (can use low fat)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 red pepper (I omitted)
1 sweet onion

1. Break noodles. Place half in bottom of greased slow cooker or use a Reynolds Slow Cooker Bag and there's no mess.

2. Brown ground beef. Drain. Stir in Italian seasoning. Spread half over noodles in slow cooker.

3. Layer half of sauce and water, half of mushrooms, half the pepper, half of the onion, half of ricotta or cottage cheese and half of mozzarella cheese over beef. Repeat layers.

4. Cover. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. (You can also double these ingredients and make 3 layers.) With newer crock pots, 4 hours is enough.

This is another one we like. The granddaughters were crazy for it (and ate it for breakfast the next morning). It does not take 6 hours though. More like 4 hours on low. You could make it on weekends, though. I remember how busy weekends could be when I was working. This also makes a whole crockpot full.

CROCK POT SPANISH RICE

2 pounds lean ground chuck
2 medium onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup rice, (not Minute Rice)

Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat. Put all ingredients in CROCK-POT. Stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on Low 6 hours. (High: 3 hours). This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. Note: Check after 4 hours; six was too long on low.

o

Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken
By Chef in Training

The perfect combination of flavors and can be prepped and frozen ahead of time for a meal at a later date!

Ingredients

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. mustard
1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can pineapple chunks

Instructions

Mix all ingredients together

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or stew in slow cooker for 4-6 hours. For the last 20 minutes of cooking time, dump in 1 can pineapple chunks, without the juice. Cook remaining 20 minutes.

Serve over rice.

**FREEZING DIRECTIONS: PLACE CHICKEN IN FREEZER BAG. POUR SAUCE MIXTURE OVER CHICKEN IN BAG. FREEZE.

o

I'm not sure if this has a name but it's stew to us.....

I put a nice piece of sirloin in the crock pot, at 1 package of brown gravy, package of Italian dressing (dry), cup or enough water to cover everything and cook for a ocuple of hours....About an hour or so before dinner, I add the potatoes and carrots......If you want more liquid, put in a can of mushroom soup....
This makes the house smell so good and is good for when you're on the go all day......
Bake a loaf of bread and for sure the house would smell extra good........
Makes my mouth water just thinking about it......

o

CrockPot Cream Cheese Sausage dip

8 oz cream cheese
1 can tomatoes and green chies (aka Rotel), drained
1 lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained

Brown the sausage on the stove, and drain on paper towels. Unwrap the cream cheese, and put it into your crockpot. Chop up the sausage and add on top. Drain the Rotel and add it. Cover and cook on low for about 90 minutes, or on high for 45 minutes. Stir well and eat with tortilla chips.

I make this for Christmas to enjoy while opening presents that morning.

o

This is a new favorite:

Slow Cooker (Crockpot) Beef Stroganoff

2 pounds beef stew meat
1 cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup
1 Lipton Onion Soup pouch
1 tub of fresh sliced mushrooms (two cups or so)
Fresh ground black pepper
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
6 cups hot cooked noodles or rice

In 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion, soups, mushrooms and pepper.
Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender.
Stir cream cheese into beef mixture until melted. Stir sour cream into beef mixture. Serve over noodles or rice.

Makes 8 servings

o

I like to put a pork arm roast in the crock pot to make pulled pork sandwiches. I usually add a dry Lipton Onion Soup packet to the water and when the meat is done, trimmed and ready to serve, I moisten it with a little of the cooking liquid used to dilute some bottled BBQ sauce for a light BBQ flavor. I buy some really tasty soft rolls for the sandwiches.

o

lots of our great crock pot recipes are on the KT recipe pages so be sure you check those out.

I know my crock pot stew is there.

KT Gathering Place

o

Wonderful!! Thank you guys!

I forgot to mention it is 4 of us, but my 2 DDs are
little, so they don't eat much. Although if hungry enough, my DH would eat enough as 2 people!

Now what happens if you put in raw hambuger? I never have, most recipes say to brown it first. I have used raw chicken, pork and beef. Just wondering what the texture would be or if it would be safe?

o

I like to take a 3 to 4lb beef or pork roast and lightly brush it with olive oil,,sprinkle a bit of sea salt and coarse ground black pepper and two teaspoons of liquid smoke. Wrap the meat tigthly in two layers of aluminum foil and place in a dry crockpot. Turn the cooker on low and allow 2hrs per pound then using a probe thermometer punch right through the foil and check the core temp. When it reaches the correct core temp take it out and you have a perfect roast.

o

Here's one I made this week... I didn't use the crock pot however since I had leftover roasted chicken which I used. I just mixed all the ingredients listed (except the noodles) and put in the oven for 30 minutes. Wonderful comfort food! I'll be making this again soon!

Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1/8 cup margarine
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

Directions

Put chicken, margarine and dressing mix in slow cooker; mix together and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Add cream cheese and soup, mix together and cook on high for another 1/2 hour or until heated through and warm.
Pour over cooked egg noodles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the recipe at allrecipes

o

Luckygardnr....I had all the ingredients here to make your recipe...so we have it "crocking" as I "speak"....can't wait for it to get done.

I didn't have the boneless chick breasts but I did have a bag of chicken tenders so I added a couple extra pieces.

patti

o

Lol, I read this heading as "Crack Pot Favorites." I was expecting an entertaining thread. :)

o

I am very fond of beans and ham or ham hocks in the crock pot. I always keep some bags of dry beans in the pantry and the really meaty hocks in the freezer. When the store has the really good hocks I buy a bunch and stock up, they are great in soups and stews too.
Hard to beat a big pot of beans and ham with a corn bread!

When I do pulled pork I buy the big packages of boneless pork carnitas, I slice up a few sweet onions put those in the slow cooker then the meat some garlic and I pour in a bottle of Sweet baby Rays bbq sauce I usually get the brown sugar one. Put the cover on and leave it cooking all night long on low. When ready to serve I take 2 forks and shred it right in the pot mixing all the onion in. Yummy stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here