SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawsitive_gw

Spinning wheels

pawsitive_gw
11 years ago

Hi gang! I don't post often, but have run into a wall. I recently purchased a spinning wheel that I am trying to get to work. She is a really sweet wheel, treadles beautifully, but throws the drive band. But that's not what I'm writing about. The wheel is stamped "Shaw Island Fleece Works" and has a paper tag under the table signed "Michael Baehr" and #49. According to the one newspaper article I could find, he was 30 years old in 1974, had quit his accounting job and started making spinning wheels, he was on #24(?) at the time. Soooo....I am looking for anyone in the Washington state area that might be familiar with the San Juan islands and the Shaw Island Fleece Company. And if anyone happens to know Michael F. Baehr, that would be a grand slam! I posted on ravelry but haven't gotten any hits directly about him or the SIFC. I'm going to write the historical society there and see if they can shed some light on it. I would love to find out if all the pieces are here and what it would take to get her spinning again. She is just too pretty to be a parlor ornament! TIA. p

Comment (1)