Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going for a Biopsy-Wish Me Luck/Prayers

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:54

Several weeks ago, at a routine exam, my doctor felt a "nodule' on my thyroid. I went to an Endocrinologist, who sent me for tests. Yesterday I got the results of the sonogram. She says my thyroid 'Looks like a bag of walnuts. There are seven nodules-2 small, 5 large. The largest one is half the size of your thyroid." I'm scheduled for a biopsy next Tuesday. She told me the procedure is uncomfortable. But she also told me thyroid cancer is very treatable, the "most curable kind". But I'm terrified. My mind is racing. The nodules may be benign, but if even one cancer cell is found, I'll need to have my thyroid removed. I had a successful kidney transplant over a year ago, so I'm taking immunosuppressant medications. I'm in a panic. Please offer me some kind words, prayers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going for a Biopsy-Wish Me Luck/Prayers

Prayers and a very gentle hug to you. Focus on the words "the most curable kind" -- maybe make it your mantra to say to yourself and to pace your breathing and heart rate.

o

I'm sorry you are going through this..I am not one to get panicked...until I have all the answers..So my suggestion is one step at a time. Focus on what you know, and try not to scare yourself with the what if.

o

Jannie, I'm sorry to hear this. Know that you are in my prayers daily.

o

Hmmm. First thing, take your mind off that race track. Sit down in a comfortable chair and concentrate on taking deep breaths for 20 minutes.

Will they be giving you anything to relieve your anxiety during the biopsy? Ask! I had some 'help' for a lung endoscopy. (And nothing for a bladder biopsy!) We all know what 'uncomfortable' means, but let's hope it will be over FAST!

IF they need to remove your thyroid it's not the end of the world, is it? I think we have some KT members who have been on meds after removals. Hope they 'tune in' with comments.

We'll be hanging in here with you!

o

I am sending comforting thoughts out to you - keep us posted.

o

keeping you in special thought Jannie

o

My prayer for you today is peace of mind, and that the test results are excellent.

Shirley

o

I'm sorry you have this worry. Try hard to not let the panic seep in. My sister (also a kidney transplant) will have a biopsy on her knee next Wednesday. She has an unstable right knee, and the biopsy will be on the left.

o

I have gone thru 2 needle biopsys to check my thyroid. No cancer with either. I had no bruising or bleeding with either. My DD had her throid removed due to it was growing so much. Afterwards they found a tiny, tiny cell that was completly inclosed and she has had not trouble since. Are they doing a needle biopsy or other? Just sending good thoughts to you.

o

You are in my prayers, especially today. I know how hard it is to focus when you're mind is on your thyroid, but try to keep the big picture in mind--that if it is cancer it is curable. Jannie, you've been through more than your share of major medical problems. (((Jannie))))

o

Prayer just said for you. The unknown is always scarey and it is just human nature to worry no matter how hard we try not to worry. Know that God will take care of you.

o

(((jannie)))) and all of my best thoughts for you.

o

Praying that you'll get good news. Good thoughts sent your way. ((((Jannie))))

o

Praying for some good news. (((((Jannie))))

o

My thoughts are with you!

o

I am sorry to hear about this Jannie, I will keep you in my prayers.

Sue

o

I will keep you in my prayers.

It is hard but try to be positive. It will not help to make yourself sick before you know just what is going on with the thyroid.

o

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I know many people with thyroid problems, two close friends have had their thyroids removed, and they say it's not that bad. They take Synthroid. To me that would be just one more pill...It will be a needle biopsy. The doc was very kind/ She gave me a script for a few Xanax.

This post was edited by jannie on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 8:23

o

I am so sorry you are going through this, especially after all you have been through the last two years. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a good report. Hugs!

o

that was nice of the doc. just breathe!

I was in a panic Monday when I had to go in for a meeting with the gastro doc..he'd already given me info and i thought I was ok..well it was an over-booking! he told me the same thing he had after colon-op #2 in 6 weeks...in fact, he was a bit peeved! 3 docs in the office and they were stacking patients...

o

Jannie, I hope you will have friends and good books or movies to get you through the next few days and keep your mind off your thyroid. Best wishes for benign results.

o

I have had two needle biopsies and it was nothing. Took nothing ahead of time and they just numbed the skin with something and I felt nothing. Yes there was some bleeding, but it stopped almost at once. The one thing I would suggest is either wear something you can wash, or toss, or have them put a hospital thing on you. With my second one, there was more bleeding due to the fact they had to go deeper. But I felt nothing, in fact the radiologist and I talked almost the whole time. Again, good luck.

o

A bag of walnuts!! What a description! I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You have had more than enough medical stuff in recent years. Hope you can relax somehow this weekend, maybe a movie or little excursion. I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday and hope it isn't too uncomfortable.
Susan

o

You have my prayers and healing thoughts. God bless!

o

Good thoughts going your way.

o

Sorry for your very scary time. You will be on my mind and in my prayers.

o

Walnuts are pretty big. I can't imagine what a bag of them in your neck would be like.

All kidding aside, I hope the biopsy goes easily and the results are benign. Thinking of you.

o

Very good thoughts are sent your way.

o

Sending you good thoughts. Your doctor is right. Thyroid cancer is very treatable but I do hope your biopsy comes back negative. You have been through more than enough!

o

Prayers coming your way. I know it's hard to NOT worry. It does sound like you have a very caring physician. That's worth it's weight in gold!

My boy's gr-aunt had her thyroid removed YEARS ago -- my kids are mid-late 40s & were pre-schoolers. She's in her early 80s & has done very well on the thyroid replacement.

o

Good wishes and offering a prayer on your behalf, Jannie.

ole joyful

o

Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

o

I did a wiccan healing prayer for you and here is a magical hug for you.

o

Best of luck, Jannie. I hope the procedure isn't too uncomfortable. It's true that thyroid cancer is very curable. And it's also true that it's possible to live without the thyroid gland. My DH's was removed in his twenties, and he did fine on Armour thyroid pills.

o

No matter what-it is FIXABLE!! Very important to tell yourself that over and over. My best friend had her throid removed for a nodule that wasn't cancerous just to get it out of there. Her only issue is remembering to take her daily pill. Picture all of us there with you at that appt.

o

Good luck to you,and as your dr said,thyroid cancer is very curable,and not as life threatning as other forms of cancer.Also you can live quite well without your thyroid.I know because I have been doing it for many years.

Mine started in 1970,and was treated for years with just meds,then it started growing again,so I had the surgery,where they took out the right side,scraped the isthmus,and took a1/3 of the left. 1st surgery was july 76.

Then I was put back on meds that I take every morning as soon as my feet hit the floor.

Fast forward to 20 years,almost to the day later,started having problems again,test and scans done and what was left of the left side was growing again,so back to surgery I go,and the rest was removed and that was in 1996.I still take the little pill every day,and have had ear surgery,knee replacement and breast cancer surgery and chemo and i'm still hanging in there.

I did ask my dr if I would be able to sing after as he had told me I may not be able to talk right away,after the second surgery.He said did you sing before?? I said no,but I thought maybe you could do a miracle while you're in there!!!! LOL

No one can tell that I have had 2 thyroid surgeries unless I tell them as I have no scar whatsoever.The dr cut into the crease of my neck,and it isn't even noticeable.

Good luck to you,will add you to my prayer list.

Oh by the way,they told me with the first surgery that it was a carcinoma,but i'd probably die from something else before I died from the thyroid.I'm 75 now and still going strong,Thank GOD!!!!
Kathi

o

I hope you're feeling much more peaceful and confident, Jannie. I'll say a little prayer for you--anticipation is often the worst part.

o

It's Monday and I'm managing pretty well. I'm great at "distracting' myself. A psychologist told me that's a good way of coping with life problems. I'm Scarlet O"Hara "I'll think about that tomorrow." Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.

o

Checking in for hopefully good news.

o

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you.

o

Sending you good vibes, many hugs and those much needed prayers.

If it is any help.....a good friend of mind had this happen to her...they got it all....no chemo or any treatments...and she also was told it was the "best place" to have cancer (if you have that nasty stuff)....blessings!

o

Results back yet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here