Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firefox issue - does anyone know why it does this?

Posted by jel48 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:43

I am running Windows 7 with the Firefox 23.0.1 browser. Sometimes (way too frequently for me), when I click on a tab it opens that tab up in a new window rather than just taking me to it in the existing window. I don't want this to happen. I don't like it when it happens. I'm guessing there's some setting that I'm not aware of, but even if that's the case, I have no idea why it only happens some times and not all the times. Does anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firefox issue - does anyone know why it does this?

Mozilla usually has good support pages on its website. The link below provides some possible solutions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mozilla support

o

Tools
Options
Tabs
Open links that open in a new window: select "new tab"
in drop-down menu.

o

also you can right click on the link and select open in new tab.

o

I don't think I explained it well enough. This happens, not when opening a new link. It happens when moving between tabs that are already open in Firefox. Just as oftencas not, with a tab that I've already moved back and forth to numerous times. I can't figure out why it works fine many times, then all of a sudden it will remove that already existing tab from the existing window and open a second window.

o

It is possible that you move the mouse a little bit downwards while clicking the tab and that can cause the tab to get detached and opened in a new window.

Firefox 3.5 versions and later have a feature called tear-off tabs.
You can detach a tab from the current window and open it in a new window by dragging a tab in the browser window.
You can drag that tab back to the tab bar in the original window to undo that detaching.

o

Ahhh ok then I agree it is most likely you are moving the mouse slightly when clicking tab, especially if as you said you were going back and forth between tabs. There's an add on that was put out way back to give you the option to turn that off. I'm not sure if it's current but you can give it a try. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Disable tear off tab

o

Lindacathy and Raven that's a good possibility. I'll give that adding a try. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here