SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

House plants

lucillle
9 years ago

A while back on one of the forums here there was a thread about fake plants.
I had a fake palm for a while, finally got rid of it because it was large and a dust magnet.
This house I moved into a few years ago has a few windows that get some nice light (some have less, as there are large trees shading the house for part of the day).
Anyway, I've decided to give real house plants another go. I have more time to pay attention to them now that I am retired.

I got a yucca, a variegated pothos, and a majesty palm. The palm was an impulse buy, it looked sad and was on sale. After reading about them when I got home, apparently they are a real challenge.
I've always thought that a nicely grown, thriving plant was a beautiful addition to a room. Hopefully, I can make these guys thrive.

Comments (12)

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

The yucca and variegated pothos are easy plants. Yucca's are very easy to over-water, but they don't need a lot of water because of their thick trunk. I'm assuming that is the kind you have.......spiky leaves on thick trunks.

Majesty palms shouldn't even be sold as houseplants. They are very finicky and require more humidity than our homes can supply. They're also prone to spider mites. I personally don't buy them, or the Parlour palms (neanthe bella) which I love because Bud is a plant-chewer.

Peace lilies are easy to grow as are variegated or regular Umbrella trees. I prefer the regular one, the variegated ones can get spindly, but the variegated ones are very easy to find. All grocery stores sell them. Actually here, those, the yuccas, and palms are always sold in grocery stores for around $10

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

You need to think like a plant (if they were to think). Many of the plants that we use as house plants grow in the dark parts of the tropics. Most are low growing species that received only filtered light, but there is generally a somewhat consistent temperature and a good amount of humidity. In the wild most of the plants thrive is what nature provides as a growing medium. It is difficult for us to grow many plants in that kind of natural environment (regular soil rather than a nutrient rich soil that nature has).

A succulent stores much moisture in the leaves, those are great for many people. Yucca, sansaveria, jade and others are typical. Often they can get by without water for several weeks at a time. The more light that they have the more they will thrive.

The peace lily (spathiphyllum) that was mentioned is also a low-light appreciator, however they need a bit more consistent watering. And...almost any palm is inappropriate for low-light house-plant conditions. It is just too much of problem to keep them healthy. Another popular house plant is the schefflera, or umbrella plant. Under ideal conditions they can grow to be big. I have seen more spider mites on those plants than many others.

Since you live in the Houston area, many of these native tropical plants can use some outdoor time in a sheltered area from May to October. I have several of my plants outdoors in a very sheltered area. They get filtered light and rain water (I have rain barrels to supplement as necessary) and more importantly, high humidity. As the nights cool (we are still in the 70s at night now), I will bring them in for overnight and then back outside for the day. As it begins to cool more, they will spend more time inside during the day also. I have already begun the process of hand-wiping all the leaves and checking for outdoor insects that I don't want indoors.

You should have success with most of your plants, but you need to realize what their natural environment has. As your 'fake' plants gathered dust, so will your real plants. On a regular basis, use a damp cloth and wipe off the surfaces of the leaves, they cannot breathe if their leaves are covered with dust. I try to discourage the use of leaf shine products, it might make them look good initially, but overall they are detrimental to the plant.

And, don't be afraid to give you plants names: I have "Fern" the fern; Cathy the cactus and "Lorrayne" (my mother in law) for my sansaveria (often called a Mother-in-Law's Tongue). Mine seem to appreciate their names; at least they have never told me otherwise!

Jim

• socks
    9 years ago

Lucille, good luck with your plants. I agree with you: they add so much to a room and home. I've always had a few around the house and enjoy them very much. I have 4 now: a palm, pothos, peace lily and one other can't think the the name (tall stems with long thin leaves at the top). I just potted up the peace lily to a larger size, so after it recovers, I expect to see additional growth since it was getting pot bound.

Here in my zone quite a few "houseplants" survive well outside. I have a couple orchids, rubber plant, schleffera and a couple ficus outside.

Have fun with your plants.

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

Hoyas are an easy plant to grow in doors. You can place a hook near a window and grow it in a hanging basket. They are easy to get to bloom inside too. If it blooms, don't cut off the little nub where the bloom was. They will bloom repeatedly from the same spot. If you get a hoya, go for one of the easier ones, like Carnosa. They have pretty pink blooms that are like a little cluster of flowers.

• pekemom
    9 years ago

i had only fake plants for years, I still have a few but this year I got some real ones, 2 lucky bamboo (actually from the lily family), a peace lily, 2 palm types and a jade plant. They are all table size, I don't want the peke to get at them, and they are all doing fine so far...

• kittiemom
    9 years ago

Lucille, I love plants and agree that they add a lot to a room. The only live plant I have right now is lucky bamboo. I'd like to add a few more. I can't have plants on the floor because the cats chew on the leaves. Good luck with yours.

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

Lucille - I'm with you, loving live plants, but if you have a cat or dog, please check out the plants that are toxic to them in the link below. For now, I've limited my indoor plants to Pony tail and spider plants. My cat loves to munch on them, so I've made sure they are cat safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic to animal plants

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good list.
    My critters don't really chew stuff (except the dogs chew their toys and bones) but I'll put the two smaller plants in another room where they don't go.

I was doing a search for Streptocarpus since I am planning on getting some of those. I came across a random toxicity list and it appears streps are OK.
    But it had yuccas on the safe list, and the other list did not.
    Why do you think that is?

This post was edited by lucille on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 20:28

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

I have no idea, but when you refer to a "random toxicity list", was it not from a recognized organization? I would err on the side of caution.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am actually on my way to Walmart right now to return them.
    Fortunately the Majesty palm, for all its apparent shortcomings, has a clean bill of health for pets.

• maxmom96
    9 years ago

I run hot and cold on house plants. My house doesn't get much light, but I'll usually have several plants and then decide I really don't like caring for them. Since I've retired and have more time, I also have become lazier.

The two plants I do fuss over and enjoy are my two staghorn ferns which hang on the patio wall in the warmer months and are thriving. Of course they take a lot of room when they're inside, and have to be schlepped to the sink or bathtube to be watered. My two year old Sheltie is afraid of them when I carry them in the house

Good luck with your plants. It's always nice to have several that you have to beat with a stick to kill. Makes you think you really can grow something!

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

I have winter indoor plants... :)

A spider plant, and an aloe vera.

Both manage to stay alive over winter, and love it outside all summer long.