SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
9 years ago

Standing in another man's grave / Ian Rankin.

I love a good murder mystery and thoroughly enjoyed this book. Fortunately for my reading tastes, the book's descriptions are non-graphic and the violence happens before the story opens. I found the novel so satisfying that as soon as I finished reading it, I went to a bookstore and purchased the first two in the series (the library was closed). This volume is the last in the John Rebus series, set in Scotland.

Rebus had been a Detective Inspector in the Scotland police force but was forced to retire because of operating in a stubborn and unconventional way. Now he is back only as a civilian in a cold-case unit. A mother pays a visit to his police station to find out if there is any news of her missing daughter. The police officer she intends to see is not there that day, but John Rebus takes note of the information. Typically, he goes beyond his official role and begins investigating, creating consternation along the way both within and outside of the police department. But he also has allies who come to his aid.

Not only is this a suspenseful mystery, the atmosphere of Scotland and Edinburgh as depicted by the author was wonderful and I found myself wishing that I could step right into the book to experience it firsthand. In addition, John Rebus is so complex and interesting that his character is part of the appeal of the book.

Along with many other fans of this series, I sincerely hope this won't be Rebus's last case!

Comments (4)