SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Hair loss and antibiotics

alisande
13 years ago

This is something I never heard of, but more people should know about. (Maybe you already do.)

I've been losing a lot of hair. It wasnÂt coming out in clumps, but I was finding hairs all over me, on my pillow, in the brush, in the sink, etc. If I ran my fingers through my hair I'd always come up with loose hairs. It was very alarming! I'm being treated for Lyme disease with doxycycline, and since unexplained hair loss can be a symptom of Lyme, I thought that was the cause. But IÂve been on antibiotics for over two weeks now, so it should be getting better, not worse.

Then my cousin told me the antibiotic could be causing the hair loss. I looked it up (gotta love the Internet!) and found out it was the sun! People on doxycycline are supposed to stay out of the sun, and I havenÂt been very compliant with that. (Hope I havenÂt ruined my face.) And I never wear a hat because I like all that sun-bleaching on my blonde hair. Well, apparently sun exposure kills off the hair follicle when youÂre taking doxy.

IÂm glad I found this out. Hope it grows back.

Oh, PS: I've been staying out of the sun until I get myself a hat. But Sunday morning I had to go out and water my garden, so I stuck a washcloth on my head. Very few cars pass my house, especially during church hours. So there I was near the edge of the road, hose in hand, washcloth on head, when a family from down the road drove past, looking at me rather oddly. LOL I wonder if they think the washcloth was part of a weird religious custom. I'm sure they would suspect that of me. :-)

Comments (17)