Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annnoying pop up at bottom of screen

Posted by gemini40 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 9:13

How do you rid your computer screen of the annoying I village Michelle Obama pop up at bottom of screen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annnoying pop up at bottom of screen

Firefox with AdBlock Plus

o

Download AdBlock Plus June. It works with Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox browsers.

o

I am about ready to leave this site because I can't seem to download foxfire and the pop ups are going to get the best of me. Im more than a little grumpy this am and Michelle might put me over the edge! Satine

o

I have Firefox and AdBlock Plus and I've got it too. Flashing on and off on about the bottom quarter of my screen. Beyond annoying.

o

"e I can't seem to download foxfire "

It is Firefox....

o

Works in IE, too.

o

I don't have firefox or anything special, but I don't have MO at the bottom of my screen.

o

if you have firefox and adblock plus you MUST add the easylist subscription to block the ads.

Add EasyList to Adblock Plus

to get firefox is simple just go to the mozilla website and download the latest version of firefox offered there.
then go to the addons list and get adblock plus
Adblock Plus 2.1.2
it will then have you shut down firefox and restart, then go to that link I provided above for adding the easylist.

When you do the install of firefox it will ask if you want to make it the default browser you can say no that can be changed at any time, it will ask if you want to import the settings and bookmarks etc from your other browser say yes to all and it will set firefox up exactly the same as your other browser including all bookmark/faves and your home page. The first time firefox opens after installing it will open to the firefox page to let you know all installed well once you close and reopen firefox it will then open to your normal home page.

once you have firefox to use it just click on the firefox icon on your desktop to use it , you can still use IE or any other browser as well they are fine together. just choose which you want to open.

if at any time you do see an ad appear just run your cursor along the edge of the ad and a small pop up will appear saying block click on that and it will ask if you want to add it to the filter list say yes and it will block the ad.

o

Opera has it built in. Plus it's a faster and better browser. (K-meleon has the ability too.) Doesn't require a patch like Firefox, Chrome, etc. Seems silly to not be part of a browser these days doesn't it? Kind of like a popup blocker. Course there too, Opera led the way.

o

I keep getting a skincare popup right in the middle of my screen.

jude

o

Hmmm no pop ups here, since I followed Raven's advise with the ad blockers.

I use firefox also.

Moni

o

I keep hearing people talk about 'Michelle', but I haven't met her yet.

o

I use chrome. An annoying ad showed up on the bottom of the page when I opened KT. After a few click -throughs opening posts, it went away.

o

I just downloaded adbloc plus and the ads went poof!! Yay and ty.

o

yayagal you must also do the easylist subscription that I posted it is what tells it which ads to block, so if you have not done that please do it just click on that link and add to adblock plus it is that simple.

o

ravencajun - I have been using AdBlock Plus since it came out, but I do not have easylist.

What does it do that I should get it?
Right now, I get zero ads on all sites.
How will it improve what I have now?

o

It is possible you have it and don't realize you do. Adblock plus is a program that utilizes a set of filter rules to tell it what to block, with out a subscription to one of the list like easylist you don't get updates to block new types of ads, easylist is maintained and provides those updates. Just like how your antivirus program must get daily definitions to block the latest threats.
You can easily open the adblock plus and look to see which if any filter subscriptions you are using. Any filter list can also be added right in the adblock plus preferences area, I provide the direct link here because it is so easy.
Adblock plus does come with certain filters built in but additional subscriptions will assure you of better coverage.

o

"It is possible you have it and don't realize you do. "

And that IS the case! Thanks.

o

That is quite often the case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here