Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White or Dark?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 8:44

What is your favorite piece of chicken? I know most like the white meat but I much prefer the dark. I do eat the white when there is nothing else but I'll take a thigh over the breast. How about you what is your favorite?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White or Dark?

Dark meat. Thighs or legs. Hands down. And studies show it's the fat content that makes a difference in health value, so if you take the skin off regardless of which you eat, it just about levels the playing field.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times article-not the only one :)

o

white to me the dark never looks done especially the thigh piece

o

Only the white of the chicken/turkey breast for me. Hubby will eat the dark, luckily. The dog doesn't care. LOL

o

I'll eat either. I like white sliced for sandwiches, will often buy a package of thighs for chicken and dumplings or a chicken stew. I have a package of thighs in the refrigerator now that I should do something with this afternoon, I'm not sure what yet...

o

The skin! LOL

I like the thighs.

o

I happily eat both! Recently a friend mentioned she had never cooked a whole chicken. She only buys breasts because she doesn't like dark meat. I was amazed because my family just loves a whole, stuffed chicken.

o

I will not eat dark meat, chicken or turkey...it's too strong-tasting.

o

I guess if I had to choose, it would be the leg. I buy mostly boneless, skinless white meat for making a lot of dishes, esp soup.

Shirley

o

I love the dark, esp the turkey.

o

My favorite piece is the wing.

o

I usually buy breasts for cooking, but I actually prefer to eat dark meat. Go figure

o

Just the breast please - no skin

o

same as betsy...but if the skin is crispy (like right out of the oven) a quick bite is great....

o

I'll eat the thigh and breast. Don't care for drumsticks.
All along hubby insisted he doesn't like dark meat. I made a dish and made sure he tried the thigh, and he liked it! So now he will eat both, but he prefers the white.

I always wonder where the cheap thighs are. Every site I see says that thighs are more flavourful and much cheaper. Not here, they are $4.99/lb. I can buy boneless breasts for $3.99

o

For baking in the oven - breasts, for barbecuing and stews - boneless thighs. For taste - as long as they are nicely cooked with nice flavourings I don't care.

o

dark meat, dark meat!

I grew up w/ the kids being given the leg, then the thigh. So that's what I prefer.

In fact, it's so easy to overcook white meat that it took a long while before I liked it.

o

Both are enjoyed in this household, but prefer the dark meat.

o

I can do both. Preferably the leg, wing, breast, the thigh the least but I have eaten them.
I don't understand the pricing either, the boneless skinless breasts are $1.99 a lb in the family pack but the boneless skinless thighs are much more than that for the family pack. They were over $3 a lb.

I buy the big packages of those breasts to cook for my dog food. They were out last Sunday so I picked up the package of the thighs and couldn't believe the price difference. And she doesn't like the thighs as well. I was not happy.

o

The white, as long as it's not dry.

o

Either - or, depends on the intention of the meat. It better have crispy skin on it, which gets eaten first. Thighs were $1.18, this week they are $1.59. Just mentioned elsewhere that it's cheaper to buy a whole roasted one at the deli rather than buy raw and the trouble to cook it. Tops on my list is a perfectly brown crispy roast Duck.

o

OMG! I can't respond to this as I may quickly be judged for my preference.

*snark*

o

Depends on who is cooking. I dislike dry meat (my son ONLY likes it dry, LOL). Dark meat is more forgiving of overcooking, so we buy legs, wings, or thighs usually. And even though it's bad, it's wrong, it's dangerous, I actually like poultry just a little underdone. I don't serve it to anyone that way, though.

o

I prefer white meat, although I like turkey and chicken legs. Can't do thighs....don't know why. Fortunately, my husband is not picky, so he eats those if we have a whole chicken or turkey. My favorite is fried chicken, which we seldom get or make anymore, but we fix a lot of chicken in many different ways and use lots of ground turkey (from Costco) for chili, meatloaf, etc. We joke that our dinners are chicken, turkey, chicken, turkey, fish, and repeat. We seldom eat pork or beef anymore, although I would eat steak every day if I could afford it and weren't worried about my health, if I did that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here