Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My bushel of romas

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 7:48

Darn, there are still many things I want to make with fresh tomatoes.....another tomato pie, "fresh" tomato sauce, using uncooked tomatoes, and more tomato sandwiches.

My romas are all gone. It's been all cooked up, and eaten, and they were getting fruit flies. I hate those things.

But now I want some more. But not enough to split another bushel with someone!

I've got tomatoes on my plants in my little garden but they're green as green. Sigh...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My bushel of romas

Wish I could twitch my nose and send you some tomatoes, but they're not romas. All summer I've been thinking I would make a tomato pie. I've seen numerous recipes of one kind or another but just haven't done it. Do you have a favorite recipe, Jasdip?

o

Hi Jude,
I used Ruthie_TX's recipe. But I did cut down the mayonnaise from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup.

Tomato Pie
6 servings

1 9-inch pie shell
1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
3-4 plum tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, seeded, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)
2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozzarella)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*To slice basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the "cigar" crosswise in thin slices.

1 Preheat oven to 350F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer.

2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.

3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.

4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.

5 Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes. Ruthieg tx

o

That's evil!!! So I say, AnnT, can you,top Jasdip's tomato pie picture. I'm almost drooling on the sscreen!

o

Yum, yum! I am going to copy and make this... I am sure my hubby will love it.. We love tomatoes..

Our tomatoes are some of the best we have had. The vines are 5' tall. I have been doing juice every other day or so. I hate to see them go to waste.

o

Be sure you caramelize the onions. That makes it sooo much better. Just chopped and put in raw won't do it justice.

I chopped the end of my romas sitting in a container in the frig for my soon-to-be next pie! It's the first time I made it (on the weekend) and we love it.

o

ooh that tomato pie looks good. I was going to buy a big box of roma tomatoes at Freshco today for around $9.00. I sitll think I might go back tomorrow and get them and make some sauce and that pie.

Anne

o

That's where I got my bushel Anne. "While quantities last" and they were going fast.

o

Oh hey. I just posted above about having alot of little yellow pear tomatoes, do you think I could substitute those into the pie? or mix Roma and yellow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here