Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Facebook..please help me understand

Posted by granlan_tx (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 7:38

FB "Timelined" me the other day. Not what I wanted, but in the scheme of things, it's small stuff and I'm not sweating it. lol

However, I was under the impression once you went to Timeline, you would no longer have the basic Home Page and setup. I have both now...is this how it should be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Facebook..please help me understand

Your profile went to Timeline but your home page stays the same. FB changed mime to TL last week.

Anne

o

I still don't even know what timeline is all about!!

o

Facebook doesn't listen to its' members. Nobody likes Timeline but that didn't stop them from going ahead and making it their priority to get everybody signed on like it or not.
Maybe that is why their stock is now selling at 19.00 .
Something will come along soon and people will drop FB and go with the next social media experiment.

June

o

The whole layout is different. I find it harder to navigate than the old style.

No one I know likes it. They just arbitrarily change things at their whim without asking the members what they want.

Mine switched a couple of weeks ago.

o

Thanks Anne. I find myself checking both pages..not sure if that's necessary.

I've tried to fix the settings so those I regularly communicate with can see what I've posted or replied to on either page.

I keep thinking I'm duplicating...sigh...guess I'll keep feeling more familiar with it as time goes on.

o

You really don't need to change anything. The only major difference is if someone goes to look at your page. They will see the timeline instead of the old style "wall".

You may want to double check your security settings to make sure they haven't changed some of your settings to more "public" type of settings though.

o

Its' a PITA Lan-I was timelined almost 8 months ago-to my surprise as well-don't like it,never have,never will-I "mostly" just read the homepage and watch the notification symbol(where it goes read,top left of the page) for anything going on with anyone I know-and then I can check their "wall" or profile page if I choose to
and yes,check your privacy settings

o

Thanks iowagirl and Ron, I appreciate your info. and input. Things like this can make me feel so duh. lol

o

You can't go back and you can't choose! It's a total pita! When I try and read stuff at the FB page for the local animal shelters, I'll be in the middle of reading and the page will jump and I'll have to scroll back down and find where I was then BOOM it jumps again! It's totally screwed up if you ask me! There is no way to hold the page in place, I tried to hold it with the scroll bar and even that doesn't help any!

o

"Facebook doesn't listen to its' members. Nobody likes Timeline but that didn't stop them from going ahead and making it their priority to get everybody signed on like it or not. "

It is my experience that the only ones who don't like it are the older people reluctant to change.
The twenty-somethings, college kids and teens I know all LOVE it.

Me... I'll adapt, just as I always seem to do.

o

Actually i think the time line had very little to do with their stock price dropping,,,I think the 4million dollar fine they paid last week for selling ppls person info had much more effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here