SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Patients and manners

secsteve
9 years ago

As many of you know, I recently had surgery and am back home. Sure does feel good to be back and on the mend.

I'm sure no one will disagree that the hospital ain't no fun. But I was amazed at how downright nasty some patients were with the nurses.

Granted there were times when I thought they could have responded a bit quicker when I pushed the call button, but I also had the good sense to realize I wasn't the only one they had to treat.

On one of my "rounds" (that's what I called my walking) I could hear this woman using language that I hadn't heard since I was in the military. She was (IMHO) extremely abusive. I had seen this person the day before when I was able to walk to the lounge area. She was there with her husband and glared at me when I walked in on the middle of her verbal attack on her husband.

I realize we all have different levels of pain tolerance, etc., but she seemed to just enjoy being nasty.

I felt really good when the hospital did a follow up call to see what I thought of their service. When we finished our conversation, the nurse said she wished they had more patients like me. She said I was very understanding and she knew that sometimes they weren't able to respond as quickly as they'd like and how much they appreciated my being so understanding.

I knew they were there to help me and carping on them, being nasty, etc. wasn't going to help anybody.

Just my .02� worth.

Comments (27)