Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you ever used one of these?

Posted by lazypup (lazypup@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 3:15

Have you ever used or seen anyone else use one of these?

Do you even know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you ever used one of these?

Never used one since I don't smoke. It's a cigarette lighter.

o

I've never seen one - at first I thought it was a place to discard cigarettes until I read cynic's response.

o

Nope - never seen one.

o

I've never seen one, but I sure would have liked for one to have been available outside the airport once lighters couldn't be carried on an airplane. I no longer smoke, but still...

o

That's interesting. Never saw one before. Where would these have been put?

o

I've never seen one, but Cynic's response sounds correct.

From the diagrams it looks like the maker expected that MOST people would never have seen one either! (It illustrates where to put the cigarette and where to press a button.)

Perhaps such a gizmo is necessary where an open flame is not permitted? (But then why would smoking be permitted?)

o

I found this: The Ozilite Automatic Cigarette Lighter is a lighting device that has a recessed heating element and no naked flame with the purpose of lighting cigarettes. This device was designed for use in any environment that a naked flame can not exist or where conventional cigarette lighters or matches are not permitted. I have no idea though where something like this would be used (maybe prisons?). You can still purchase these new so there must be a market for them.

o

I have no clue.

o

As Lydia has already pointed out, "This device was designed for use in any environment that a naked flame can not exist or where conventional cigarette lighters or matches are not permitted"

My first experience with these was when I was in the Air Force. For two of my eight years in the AF I worked in the base bomb dump on a Strategic Air Command B-52 bomber base where we stored all the bulk stocks of Pyrotechniques, Explosives and Special Weapons used by the base. That included everything from 22caliber blanks for the base gyms starter pistols, ammunition for the base police & security forces, dynomite for the civil engineers construction units and machine gun ammunition, rockets, conventional bombs and nuclear weapons for the B-52's.

Our work area was surrounded by a security fence that enclosed about a 1/2 mile square and we had numerous types and sizes of bunkers, igloos and magazines for the actual storage. We also had offices and maintenance shops within the area.

As one might imagine they were quite paranoid about any flame or spark producing devices in the area, right down to our work clothes. The normal AF fatique uniform was a cotton/polyesther blend fabric and heavy wool boot socks, but we had to wear special fatiques that looked the same but they were 100% cotton so we would not generate static electricity on our bodies.

When we reported for work we had to enter through a cental entry position where they checked our passes and just before we were permitted to enter we had to surrender all cigarette/cigar lighters, matches or other spark producing devices, which would be returned to us when we left the area.

In those days the military considered allowing smoking under within safe environments as essential to troop morale so once inside the area most of the offices and break rooms were designated smoking areas and they would had those lighters installed in the smoking areas.

The same procedures are used in oil refineries, hazardous chemical production plants or in any environment that may have a volitile atmosphers such as on an offshore drilling platform or a tankship.

o

Oh, I see. They were created due to a *government* regulation. LOL!

o

Electric lighters have been used for a long time. A different style than this was used onboard the Hindenburg and other aircraft. They're used in prisons. I imagine there's not a lot of other demand for them but (because of poor parenting I presume) they're even child resistant so some fingers can't be poked in there.

Should still work fine for firecrackers though! :)

o

Oh, I see. They were created due to a *government* regulation. LOL!

Yep. ;-D

o

Oh wow, this is so interesting.

So Lazypup, cotton doens't generate electricity as other fibers do? Is is because it's a natural fiber?

o

Lazypup, your comment reminded me of a Canadian TV show that was aired last winter, called Bomb Girls.

It was about women who worked during the war, in a factory, making bombs.

It was very stringent over what they could and could not wear, they had an apron covering their clothing, their hair was wrapped in a turban-like covering. Of course this was all designed so as not to create a spark.

o
RE:: Have you ever used one of these?

ooops, I meant to say the girls wore coveralls (not aprons) while working on the line.

This is the website for Bomb Girls. It's interactive and very interesting!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bomb Girls.....Just like being there

o

What contortions people won't go through ... to get lit!

And, once the cigarette was lit ...

... couldn't it just about as easily have been used to set off a bomb?

ole joyfuelled ... who hasn't got lit, whether from a lighter or a bottle, for a long time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here