Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
5 to 6 whole fresh peaches (best when not overly ripe or soft), peeled, cut in half and pit removed (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1/2 a lemon
7 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt using a fork or pastry cutter. Cut the butter into small pieces and gradually add to flour mixture until evenly mixed.

Slice the peaches 1/2-inch thick into a bowl. Add the zest from the lemon half. Squeeze juice from the lemon half and stir in with the peaches and zest. Add 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup to the peaches and stir well.

Pour the peach mixture into a small pan (8 or 9-inch square) and cover evenly with the crumb topping. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until crisp and brown on top, an additional 20 to 30 minutes.

For the maple cream sauce, pour the heavy cream into a saucepan. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons maple syrup and corn syrup and stir over moderate heat until thickened and reduced by about one-third, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate the sauce until it is cold and thick. Or, if you're in a hurry, set the saucepan into a small bowl of ice (the ice will melt and turn into ice water). Stirring your mixture, it will cool and thicken in about 15 minutes. Drizzle the maple cream sauce over the peach crisp. Serve warm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 6, 2012

Heres one I just found, I love cherry limeade.

Cherry Limeade Recipe

4 Persian limes
1 1/4 c. cherry juice, found on juice aisle (chilled)
5 1/2 c. lemon-lime soda (chilled)
1 small jar maraschino cherries w/stems

Cut three limes in half. Using a reamer, squeeze juice into a pitcher. Slice the fourth lime and set aside.

Add cherry juice, soda, and two tablespoons maraschino cherry liquid to the lime juice. Stir slowly until well blended.

Pour over ice, then garnish with reserved lime slices and cherries.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

*Yields 4-6 servings.

o

Artichoke Bread

Artichoke Bread

With the big game day approaching I have been thinking about snacks more. Last weekend I got the chance to try making an artichoke bread that has been on my mind for a while. The artichoke bread is essentially an artichoke dip that is baked on bread until the crust of the bread perfectly light and crispy, the dip is nice and warm, the cheesy topping is melted and golden brown. For the artichoke topping I decided to start with my favorite hot spinach and artichoke dip and I removed the spinach and tweaked it a bit. (You could of course leave the spinach in for a slightly healthier version.) For the bread I used a loaf of Italian style bread that I cut it in half lengthwise and then scooped out a bit of the center to provide room for more filling. The next challenge was baking the bread for long enough to heat up the artichoke dip so that all of the cheese in it melted without the crust of the bread burning. I decided that the best way to go about it was to cover the bread in foil while it warmed up and then to remove the foil near the end to let the cheese on top melt and turn golden brown. The artichoke bread turned out amazingly well! I used a nice fresh loaf of Italian bread so while the crust was light and crispy the inside was nice and soft and moist. The warm artichoke dip with the melted cheesy topping was so good and the fact the it was in the perfectly cooked bread made it even better!

Artichoke Bread

An artichoke dip baked in a loaf of bread until ooey gooey and cheesy and good!

Servings: makes 4-8 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Printable Recipe
Ingredients

1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 green onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
1 loaf Italian bread, sliced in half lengthwise

Directions

Mix the artichoke hearts, green onions, garlic, cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano reserving some of the cheese.
Hollow 1/2 an inch out of the center of both halves of the bread.
Spread the mixture into the hole in the bread slices and top with the reserved cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven covered in foil for 20 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and golden brown.

o

Nodakgal--that sounds like artichoke-spinach dip without the spinach. It HAS to be delicious!! I'm saving this for cooler weather.

CHICKEN-RICE CASSEROLE (About.com)

4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme or marjoram
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt, to taste
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, cooked just until tender
1/2 cup soft fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat the oven to 375�. Grease a 2-quart baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk, cooking and stirring until thickened and smooth. Add the pepper, taste, and add salt, as needed. Stir in the chicken and set aside.

Spread the cooked rice in the baking dish, then sprinkle with the cooked peas and carrots. Spoon the chicken mixture over the vegetable layer. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the chicken layer.

Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until the crumbs are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle over the cheese. Bake the casserole for 20 to 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned.

o

Ham and cheese baked sandwich

8 slices hearty white bread **I would use multi grain or rye, my preference
1/2 pound sliced deli ham
2 cups shredded extra sharp white Cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Place 4 slices of bread in prepared baking dish. Evenly layer ham over bread. Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups cheese over ham and top with remaining bread. Spread butter over top of bread.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together milk, eggs, mustard, chives, salt, and pepper. Evenly pour egg mixture over bread and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let sit 15 minutes.

4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until egg custard is set and bread is golden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here