Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 8, 2012

Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 2:05

Hilarys Heavenly Eggs for Two
From EatingWell

This unusual combination of eggs braised in tomato sauce served on crusty bread is out of this world. Also try it over angel hair pasta.
2 servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/2 ounce pancetta, chopped (optional)
1 cup prepared marinara sauce
2 large eggs
3 large fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted

Preparation

Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pancetta (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and slip it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained (some white may spread out). Repeat with the remaining egg, spacing the eggs around the pan. Sprinkle the sauce with basil; cover and cook until the eggs are the desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.

To serve, top each slice of toasted bread with an egg and sauce. Serve immediately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 8, 2012

Boozy Ice Cream and Bananas (Real Simple)

1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 bananas, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
1/4 cup dark rum
2 pints vanilla ice cream

Heat oven to 375.
Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes; roughly chop.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook, whisking occasionally, until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.
Gently stir in the bananas. Remove from heat and add the rum.

Carefully ignite the mixture and wait until the flame goes out. Stir in the pecans.
Serve the bananas and sauce over the ice cream.

o

I posted this recipe last week (I think). I made it yesterday and it was AWFUL! Way too sweet and the cake mix-butter mixture was a pale icky tasting mess.

I definitely DO NOT recommend making this. In case you copied/pasted it to try, I apologize.

CROCKPOT DESSERT (CD Kitchen)

1 can (21 ounce size) cherry or apple pie filling
1 package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted

Place pie filling in crock pot. Combine dry cake mix and butter (will be crumbly) sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped walnuts if you desire. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.

o

I've been wanting to try to make a gluten-free ice cream, so as soon as I have room in my freezer I want to try this. I added the "Thai Organic" to the first ingredient because it's the brand I use for rice and anything that calls for coconut milk.

VANILLA COCONUT MILK ICE CREAM (The Nourishing Gourmet).

2 cans (14. Oz.) full fat coconut milk (Thai Organic)
1/3-1/2 cup of honey
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Combine all of the ingredients well. I usually have to use a whisk to get the honey to combine with the coconut milk. Make into ice cream according to the directions on your ice cream maker. "Ripen" in the freezer for a few hours and serve. Will last a week or two in the freezer. I like to use an alcohol based vanilla extract as it seems to help keep the ice cream from getting as hard.

o

I feel that way about the dump cakes in general Patti.
I make the peach sometimes to take to family gatherings. Everyone loves it, except hubby and I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here