(serves 4)

Daily Unadventures in Cooking

Adapted from (Loosely) Laura Rebeccas Kitchen

1 spaghetti squash
salt and pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
1/4 cup Romano cheese, shredded

Cook spaghetti squash. (You can do this lots of ways, I poked it all over with a fork and bake it at 400F for 1 hour.)

Preheat oven to 400F. Remove seeds from squash.

Scrape squash strands into a mixing bowl and discard skin.

Toss with chives, sour cream, half of the cheese, and lots of salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes. If not browned on top, turn on broiler and broil until browned. Watch closely. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. (This reheats well, we ate it again the next night.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 10, 2012

This is a recipe from our Milk calendar.

Sun-Dried Tomato Cauliflower Cheese (Milk Calendar)

1 cauliflower
2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika, or cayenne if you want a bit of a kick
1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon rind
1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Canadian Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400F (200C)

Break the cauliflower into florets and boil until just tender. Drain and place in a 9 x 9-inch (23 x 23 cm) baking dish.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour to form a paste. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly as you bring it to a boil. Add the salt, pepper, egg yolks, paprika and lemon rind, stirring quickly so that the yolks do not curdle. Add half of the cheese and mix until it melts.

Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and top with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 min or until lightly browned.

o

luckygardnr, that sounds wonderful. I'm a big fan of spaghetti squash!

jasdip, that sounds great, also. I'll confess to being confused about the name of the recipe, though! I expected to see sun-dried tomatoes listed as an ingredient.

o

HoustonMom, I messed up; thanks for pointing that out.

I grabbed the wrong recipe.....the one that I meant to post is an up-dated version of the one I posted.

Sun-Dried Tomato Cauliflower Cheese (Milk Calendar)

1 cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 cups
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tbsp (37 ml) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk
1/4 cup (50 ml) thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp (2 ml) sweet paprika or
1/8 tsp ( 0.50 ml) smoked paprika
1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
3/4 cup (175 ml) shredded Canadian old Cheddar or
Friulano cheese, divided

In a large pot of boiling water, boil cauliflower for about 7 min or until just tender. Drain well; set aside.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic for 1 min or until fragrant. Whisk flour into milk; gradually pour into pan, whisking constantly.

Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, paprika, pepper and cook, stirring, for about 3 min or until bubbling and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese until melted. Pour over cauliflower in a heatproof serving dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

o

Blueberry pie

4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed, if frozen)
3 tablespoons instant tapioca
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1 (15-ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, beaten

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine blueberries, tapioca, 3/4 cup sugar, the lemon juice, and lemon zest; mix well and let stand 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, unroll 1 pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Pour blueberry mixture into crust. Unroll remaining pie crust and place on top of mixture; seal, and flute edges. Cut several slits in crust, brush with egg, and sprinkle with remaining sugar.

3. Place a pan under pie so it won�t drip in the oven. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here