3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 large egg whites
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower

Directions

Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Add snow peas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red-pepper flakes; toss to combine, and set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, and toss to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and set aside (reserve skillet).

Add snow-pea mixture to skillet. Cover; cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with rice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, August 20, 2012

A summer dessert. I wouldn't turn the oven on just for the almonds, but toast them in a dry skillet.

Lemon Semifreddo (Real Simple)

6 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest plus 1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Set a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl.

In a heatproof medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, salt, and 1 cup of the sugar. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until the lemon mixture becomes opaque and has thickened slightly, 12 to 15 minutes.
Pour the lemon mixture through the sieve into the bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the lemon mixture and refrigerate until completely cool, at least 2 hours.

Using an electric mixer, whip the cream and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar on medium until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. In 3 additions, gently fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture. Pour into an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan or another 6-cup pan, cover, and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 375F. Spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing once, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve the semifreddo sprinkled with the almonds.

o

Chicken Moran

6 chicken breast halves skinned and boned
1/2 C A.P. flour
salt and pepper
3/4 C unsalted butter, divided
1 C fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4 C dry white wine or marsala (I use Marsala)
1/2 C chicken broth
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 C grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 C grated parmesan

Pound chicken breast to 1/8 inch thickness. Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour. Cook chicken several pieces at a time in 2 T. butter 6-8 minutes, turning once. Butter should be added as more chicken is cooked. Reserve drippings. Place chicken in 9 x 13 baking dish. Saute mushrooms in 1/4 C butter Sprinkle mushrooms on top of chicken Add wine and broth to pan, scraping bottom of skillet and simmer 10 minutes. Add lemon juice Pour over chicken and mushrooms Sprinkle cheeses on top. Bake at 450 10-12 minutes. This dish can be prepared the day before and baked while preparing salad or side dishes.

o

This is tonight's dinner. I may have posted this before, but I found it when I was going through my recipe binders.

Coconut Curry Chicken (Cooks.com)

1-1/2 c. white rice
3-1/4 c. water, salted

Sauce:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. curry powder
13.5 oz. can coconut milk

4 boneless, skinless chicken breat strips (about 2 lb.)
2 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil

In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Stir in curry powder and cook one minute. Add coconut milk and cook until it is reduced by half (about seven minutes).

Toss together the chicken, five-spice powder and salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Increase heat to high and stir-fry chicken until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the coconut curry sauce. Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.

o

Today's recipes look good! Patti your recipe is a good way to use my can of coconut milk.

o

For patti, my mother's recipe

Frozen fruit salad
2 cups sour cream
1 small can crushed pineapple drained
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp red or green cherries, diced
Holidays, she would use a tsp of each, red and green
2 tsp lemon juice
2 bananas mashed

A dash of red food coloring
Combine sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, pineapple, banana, and enough food coloring to tint mixture pink. Lightly fold in nuts and cherries. Spoon into fluted paper muffin cups which have been placed in muffin tins. Freeze solid. Remove from muffin tins and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in freezer. Thaw about 15 minutes before serving time. Serves 12
To serve, peel off paper cup and place on lettuce leaf

o

This salad was brought to my spaghetti dinner a couple of weeks ago. I had 4 servings it was SO good.

Fruit 'n' Nut Tossed Salad

1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp salt
dash hot pepper sauce

Salad:
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup pecan halves
2 Tbsp butter
4 cups torn fresh spinach
4 cups torn romaine
1 can (15 oz) mandarine oranges, drained
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
4 green onions, chopped

For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper sauce until blended. Cover and refrigerate.

In a heavy skillet, melt sugar over medium-low heat without stirring until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add pecans and butter; stir constantly until butter is melted and pecans are coated. Remove from heat. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet' cool completely. Break pecans apart if necessary.

In a salad bowl, combine spinach, romaine, oranges, celery, strawberries and onions. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Top with sugared pecans. Yield 8-10 servings.

o

Since I just posted my own meatloaf creation on the meatloaf thread I will post it here too.
Saucy stuffed meatloaf:
3Lbs lean ground beef(can use less meat)
1/2cup raw oatmeal
2Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2Tbs Cajun seasoning (I prefer Tony Chachere)
2Tbs mustard(yellow)
4-5 chopped Roma tomatoes(fresh not canned)
1lg chopped onion(purple if possible)
1jar RAGU Roasted garlic Parmesan sauce**
In mixing bowl add meat,oatmeal,worst sauce,seasoning,mustard. Mix well with hands.
In a large rectangular baking dish spray pam (NOT a loaf pan). Add the meat and form into loaf shape, then make a well down the length in the center of the loaf. In the well add some of the chopped tomatoes and onion. Squeeze the meat closed over the top of the well. Pour remaining tomato and onions around the loaf. Pour the RAGU sauce over it all. You can add a little milk to the jar to"rinse" it and get all out (not much don't want to water it down). Bake at 350 for an hour- check for doneness(clear juices). Let cool for 5 min or so then skim off excess oil or soak it up with bread and discard bread.
*Optional ingredient chopped mushrooms.
*Optional sprinkle top with grated cheese
**If you can not find that specific RAGU sauce one of the other white RAGU sauces can be used like the Alfredo, and add garlic.

Roasted Garlic Parmesan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here