Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Have a Chromebook?

Posted by Deeby (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 0:10

I couldn't take anymore of that horrible Lenovo and took it back for the refund. Then bought a little Chromebook. I can't find the yellow star for favorites and there's no toolbars. When I logged on it went to some Google thing that kinda looked like Facebook. I can't find a button or icon to log off. Does it let you choose a homepage? HELP !!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Have a Chromebook?

Chromebook is all about Google it's not like a regular laptop, it is based on cloud computing. It operates on a Linux version operating system not Windows.
Closing the lid puts your Chromebook to sleep but does not turn it off. Hold down the power key until the screen goes completely black or click the shutdown button in the bottom right hand corner to completely turn off your Chromebook.

You have a lot of reading and learning to do so you can understand exactly what you are working with. What made you get a Chromebook? Have you ever used one or any other versions of Linux and cloud computing?
You likely get a certain amount of Google drive storage space online for your files and stuff but it does cost for more. You can use a USB flash drive to store stuff on too. Depending on the specs on the one you bought, they usually have a very small hard drive and are not meant to store much on it. What brand and model is it?

Edit to say, go to the getting started app on your Chromebook, that is the guide to using it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reading material.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 2:51

o

Thanks. The only reason I bought it is because it was only $199 at Walmart. I have never heard of Cloud. What is it? I found out how to mark Faves. The star is INSIDE the search bar. After mousing around all evening I'm happy with it. Finally, a keeper ! Do you mean storing documents space? I don't make any. Don't want pictures in it-tons of those in my cell phone and on Facebook. I just like to surf, research, email, etc.

o

It sounds like a Netbook is all you need. You don't even need a full laptop, with the dvd etc.

o

Exactly. I learned along with all of the many Lenovo stresses that it was uncomfortable looking up at the big screen. I'm used to looking straight across. I am so relieved to find a keeper again. Had my little Gateway for years. Also the Lenovo keyboard was so big it was like playing the piano ! This little cutie is a much happier experience. : )

o

A unit's screen size has nothing to do with the brand or the software it runs.

As ravencajun suggests, getting a Chromebook thrusts you into a world that's different from the Windows or Apple systems. It's completely unique and resembles nothing else. The Chromebook approach is bold and may be the first of many steps into a different look in the future. Or maybe not.

In the meantime, I think it's not a novice user's best choice. Many commentators have said it's not recommended as a household's only PC because of its limitations. Unless what you do with the PC is very limited and elementary, you'll find that your PC knowledge from past use will be of little value and you'll find few people who can give you help.

I'd describe myself as a user of intermediate level. I was looking for a new PC for travel use a few months ago. I considered a Chromebook only briefly (of course, they're cheap!) but I shifted gears and got a Lenovo Flex 10 with a 10 inch screen and Win 8. It's a great little unit.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

o

I don't know-it's the best little thing so far. I truly don't need or care about documents, saves and all that. Internet access is all I care about. I felt quite la-di-da with that Lenovo but all the bells and whistles just caused chaos, anger, and lots of calls to tech support. I never knew what Apple is. I just need a path to the internet, and that's all. The speakers on this little thing sound like my big TV is on. I don't even have to plug the speakers in. I'm happy !

o

Well give it a week or so then you can give a better assessment of how well it fits your needs.
I am confused though because you were specifically wanting Microsoft Office on the Lenovo, and I suggested open office which you installed. If you have no need for documents or anything office related why did you want an office program?

If you don't know what cloud computing is well that is all a Chromebook does basically. It is basically just a browser that you can add a few specific apps to from the chrome store. Every thing you do, use, store is in the cloud not on the device. Some people don't trust the cloud enough to trust all their stuff there.

I personally would prefer a good tablet to the Chromebook.
The biggest complaint about Chromebook is their hardware, it is minimal, low end processors etc. Low screen resolutions, and minimal hard drive. (why they are cheap)
It's very important to remember this is not Windows, and you can't just find a program you want to download, that doesn't happen.

One thing that becomes extremely important is keeping a logbook of the username and passwords to all the cloud components you will have to use. Because every thing will require an account.

If you decide it's not for you, what I would suggest is either a netbook or small size laptop running Windows 7. They are available and reasonably priced. Feel free to ask for help finding some, I am always happy to help. Here's one quick example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer 11.6 inch Windows 7

o

Thanks ! You sure know alot about computers ! I looked at the little Acer. I'll bet it'll be my next one after this Chromebook croaks.

o

Maybe try Asus instead of Acer. Acer hasn't fared well in the marketplace in recent years, picking up many poor ratings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laptop reviews

o

If I wanted a computer, I would never consider Chromebook. Waiting for Raven's question as to why you wanted office?

o

I actually own two Acer laptops one is a netbook one is my husband's daily use laptop. Both have been problem free. Also own Asus products with no problems.
Luck of the draw

o

Ravencajun, could you recommend a tablet/notebook? I have an Acer laptop now but want something smaller.

o

How do you plan on using it? What types of tasks will you be performing on it? What price range? Give me some general information and I am willing to give you some options. What size is your current laptop? Is it running Windows 7 or 8?

o

I have Windows 7 now. Just want it for basic stuff like email, social media. I don't want to spend a whole lot-couple hundred.

o

Then I would say go with a tablet that is more portable and easily can travel with you. We only take our tablets now when we travel in the RV. We can do everything we need to do on the tablets. Plus there is no worry about it over heating or getting hot like a laptop they don't have those problems.

For the price you are wanting to spend it will probably be in the 7" range, you can find a 10" on sale sometimes.

If you want to go with straight Android not a branded one like Amazon then I would look at the Asus Transformer or one of the smaller Asus tablets.
The Amazon Fire is good but it is a branded version of Android so it is more limited than a regular Android, The books would be of course for the Kindle and from Amazon. But you can add the kindle reader to any Android tablet. Plus with regular Android you can add other reader programs and read any format of book not just kindle books.

I would not get anything below Android 4.1 as far as the operating system goes.
You can find several of the unknown brands around for much cheaper, some are fine some use cheaper products in them.

Another alternative altogether is a tablet that runs windows. For example this one by HP which is on for $299 today at Woot. It is a factory reconditioned which does not bother me, I have bought several tablets that were factory reconditioned with no problems. And it does come with a 1yr factory warranty.
HP ElitePad 900 10.1" Tablet, Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz, 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win8Pro 32-bit

Asus Tablets
at this link you can see various of the Asus tablets from 7" to 10" brand new and refurbished.

Products

******Now this right here is a really really good deal on this 10" LG G Pad which is a quad core running the latest version of Android. Plus there is a code there for $20 off. This might be the deal of the day.And it is from newegg a very good place to do business. It is brand new, it has some very unique features and it also has IPS display excellent! It is a very good entry level first tablet, not as powerful and full bodied as some of the others but those others will be in the $400-500 or more range. For $229 this is a nice first tablet.
LG G Pad 10.1 Qualcomm Snapdragon 1GB Memory 16GB eMMC 10.1" Touchscreen Tablet Android 4.4 (KitKat)
LG G Pad

In that same size/price category is the Acer Iconia with some decent specs for an entry level also.
Acer Iconia 10.1" Tablet 32GB Quad Core

samsung is also a good brand in tablets(maybe out of the price range).
Google nexus is good

The main things you need to look for in the specs is the resolution it should be at least 1280 x 600 or so higher is better.
The version of Android it is running 4.1 or higher.
The Ram memory and storage space plus the ability to add an additional sd card. 1-2 GB of RAM or higher. Usually 16 GB is the internal storage and most take up to a 32GB sd card.

just let me know if I can help with anything.
That LG is a sweet deal.
I would go for ASUS, Samsung, Google, or the LG or Acer Iconia all very decent brands and offer nice options.

o

Thank you so much!!

o

You are very welcome. Keep me posted on what you decide!

o

I'm not an Apple fan boy by any means, nor a tablet user.

But it's hard to ignore that the general purpose tablets consistently rated the highest and that have the most enthusiastic user group is the iPad family. Second place, though more purpose built for reading, are the various Kindle models.

There's a learning curve for Android devices (I've had several Android phones). Apple products, on the other hand, seem to be easier to use and have superior quality. Capabilities for all are mostly the same but hardware features, usability and apps differ.

o

Ouote
"I don't want to spend a whole lot-couple hundred"
Nothing Apple in that range. I stick to the request.

o

See link below. Walmart has a reasonable return policy

Many are also available under $200 on the Newegg site. The quality of those, I wouldn't know to say.

Here is a link that might be useful: $239 for refurb iPad at Walmart

o

For whoever asked, this little Chromie has Documents. I couldn't be happier with this computer. It does what I want, when I want, with lightning speed. It's 7 seconds to clicking the icon and being online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here