Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KitchenAid mixer colors

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 22:29

I just posted in the Cooking Forum, asking if anyone had a KitchenAid mixer in Gloss Cinnamon. I haven't been able to see one in person, and I wondering if it's more red than brown, or vice versa.

If you have one, or even if you've seen one in a store, could you give me your impression, please? Thanks!

The Gloss Cinnamon pictures online seem to vary. I wish they still sold the yellow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KitchenAid mixer colors

Someone at the Cooking Forum (which I really ought to check out more often) linked to this image, which clarifies the issue for me.

Thanks anyway!

o

You didn't say which model but Zappos has the Artesian both in Yellow Pepper and Majestic Yellow.

So does Amazon and Overstock.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zappos

o

Why not go ahead and add some artwork to your mixer while you are at it?? :) I love some of these designs! Now if only I was rich!

Here is a link that might be useful: custom painted kitchenaid mixers

o

Yeah... if we were rich! :)

I got an old model... 1985 or so... in plain ole white. That was all that was available back then.

But it still works GREAT.

:)

Moni

o

I have the pale yellow one. I love it

o

My DH came home with one as a surprise in 1974. It is such a heavy sucker that I don't use it all that often these days. Instead, I will use the little portable one.

o

moni you and me both, and probably havn't used it in years, but refuse to give it away...it was my treat for me when we had a bit of extra $, in 86...

o

Seriously those old Hobart built ones are so much better. I got mine in '78. Still going strong after all these years. Ugly as sin though. I have a great fear of it dying. if it did I would be looking for a used one from that era.

o

I have one of the old ones, too, from around 1980. The K5-A. And mine still works great as well, which is why I've been on the fence for a couple of years about getting a new one. Based on current reviews, Wildchild is right about the old ones being built better.

The only reason I'm considering a new one is that the attachment hub on mine no longer works. I consulted with KitchenAid, and they said there's no hope for it. The newer model Pro 5 Plus (not the Artisan series) will take all my attachments. I have quite a few, including a meat grinder and grain mill. IF (big if) I get a new one, I'll give my old one to my daughter-in-law.

For some reason, KitchenAid makes the Artisan series mixers in all sorts of neat colors, but not the bowl-lift models.

Lydia, I've never seen those! I can't see them in my kitchen either, which is just as well since I can't afford them. :-)

o

I was going to mention as well that the older models are real work-horses.

The motor on mine slows down if I mix bread dough. Even though it says it will handle 10 cups of flour, I'd never put that much in, because I'm afraid of burning the motor out.
You're not supposed to ever go above speed 2 for kneading.

I do my bread all by hand though anyway.

o

Oh how I love my old K-5. We bought it as a Christmas present in 1976 and I paid $165.00. When they started making them in colors I was so tempted - but I could never pick a color so I just stayed with my old white model.

When we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago I started checking out all the colors again until I read the complaints about the motor breaking when mixing bread dough - and these were bakers following recipes in the KA guide. I now have a new appreciation for my old Hobart mixer.

Here is a link that might be useful: New 5 quart Hobart mixer

o

Just to chime in...mine is from the '20s and is still going strong. I have all sorts of neat attachments (that I never use) like a boiled frosting attachment, link sausage maker. I do use the machine faiirly often though. It's so ugly that it's cute. I was able to get a new bowl for it from KA, as my old bowls were rusting.

o

That's a snazzy looking new Hobart! I wonder how much it costs........probably more than my income for a month.

When we had the soyfoods business we had a BIG Hobart--two of them. I think one was 65-qt. and the other 80-qt. That's what I should have sitting on my kitchen floor now. :-)

o

Susan, I still love mine, and use it often. I have NEVER contemplated a different model... and haven't even lusted after a color model. I paid $178 for it back in the 80's.

White fits in everywhere, which came in really handy during all my moves after the divorce. :)

All my appliances are white, cept the microwave and the toaster. Those are bright red.

o
RE: Kitchen Aid mixer colors

What I should probably do is give all my attachments to my daughter, who has one of the new models. Hers is a 6-qt., though, so they might not fit.

Pretty as the new ones are, it does seem silly to give up a fully functional sturdy model to get something with plastic, easy-fail gears.

o

Lydia-Neat site. I love some of those designs, but would have a hard time paying the price (more then the darn mixer!!)

o

As if anyone needed more proof that Sue doesn't cook: I still have the AQUA portable mixer I got as a wedding shower gift. Of course it still works *just fine* -- how much USE has it had?

o

I bought a fancy one years ago and used it once or twice. I prefer the small one/portable.

o

I have a K5 that I bought in 1979. Paid $150 for it. It has been a workhorse. I wouldn't dream of replacing it with one of the newer models just for color. Mine stays on the counter, always covered when not in use. Looks and works as good as the day I bought it. Like Moni says, white goes with everything.

o

PS: For anyone interested in buying a KitchenAid stand mixer, KA is offering rebates ($30 or $50, depending on the model) this month. And Everythingkitchens.com has a good price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here