Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
World's stinkiest plant about to bloom!

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 21:56

The Titan Arum is about to bloom at the US Botanic Garden in DC. You can watch a live stream of it. It is also known as the corpse plant because it evidently smells like a rotting body. Watching it slowly bloom is about as interesting as watching paint dry, but the plant is fascinating.

Here is a link that might be useful: titan arum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: World's stinkiest plant about to bloom!

We have had these at our Museum of Natural Science, Stinky!

o

Yes there was one last year in Houston that bloomed. There were lines of people who went to view it. The news crews reported live, glad there was no smellavision.

o

looks like a huge corn husk...

o

You know, it does look like an ear of corn! I guess we are waiting for the bottom half of the "ear" to open out and start to smell really bad, not that we can smell it from here.

o

luv the webcam on that link! My DH collects Amorphophallus varieties, we have that one and 2 others that are smaller bloomers. I love the leaves and stems, they have a beautiful mottled silver pattern to them. ~ liz

o

Liz, would that be like a Venus Flytrap??

o

Ded, the flytraps are true carnivorous plants. Amorphophallus titanum are not.....that awful stench is designed to attract pollinators. They are simply a very unique flowering plant, belonging to a very large plant family that includes some of our most common houseplants.

o

Thank you dedtired, for the link. I've been watching it off and on, waiting for the show.

The petals are starting to open!!

o

Eeek, thanks for reminding me. I forgot to watch. It's more interesting now that something is finally happening. On the live feed, people are climbing a ladder to get a shot of the inside, I guess. I wonder how it smells?

Thanks for the lesson, Rhizo. My kids would buy Venus Flytrap and feed bugs to it to watch it snap shut. The plants never lived to long. I think they were overfed and underwatered.

o

For anyone who is interested, a time-lapse video has been uploaded to YouTube.

Here is a link that might be useful: Titan Arum blooming

o

Cool. Much more interesting to watch it that way.

o

I went to see it a couple of times about 3 yrs. ago at its first bloom and was able to take alot of pictures. The Museum of Natural Science in Houston had a webcam as well.

I believe that it bloomed every other year. If all goes well with the plant, the next exihibition would probably be next year in Houston.

Maybe, it was just me but to me, it smelled like cabbage, a strong smell of cabbage. It didn't bothered me. So, it really depends on how you feel about cabbage.

What bothered me a little was the high humidity that the plant needed to be kept in the exhibition room. LOL, it made the usual humidity in Houston seemed like heaven!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here