Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is $69 too much to pay for a night gown??

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 20:54

I love the 100% cotton, sleeveless night gown I bought from WalMart maybe 4yrs or more ago for $14.99. Well, it's starting to wear thin and tear. Searched online sites, WalMart, KMart, Elder Beermans, Kohls, nothing that matches it really. Then I went to The Vermont Country Store. Of course they have some very nice and pretty ones, and the one that caught my eye is "only" $69. :( It says "100% Lawn Cotton", machine wash and dry. Anyone buy sleepwear from VT Country Store and feel the prices are worth it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is $69 too much to pay for a night gown??

That's such a subjective decision. I would never pay $69 for a nightgown, but that's just me. I would, however, go to TJ Maxx and pay $15 for a $69 nightgown. ;-)

o

I agree; subjective decision. I could never pay it, but if it's something you really want and it won't break the bank; why not? :)

o

Are you going to love it? If so, why the heck not? Yes, it's pricy. Very pricy. But aren't you worth it? If you're going to feel pleasure every time you wear it, isn't it worth it?

In my opinion, $69 isn't too much to pay for a very comfortable, great feeling, long-lasting, treat for yourself. Would you rather pay $15 for something that you won't love, will likely wear out much sooner (quality of goods decreasing, etc.)?

Get it. Honestly - get it. And sweet dreams.

o

If you really, really love it and you know you will enjoy it, go for it!
Sweet Dreams!

o

As I recall the VT store has a lot of quality items. Go for it!

I ordered 2 pairs of knee high rubber gardening boots from them years ago. I was having a hard time finding them in womens sizes. They were advertised as slopping the pig boots or some such thing. :0) I still use them to shovel deep snow.

o

I was given one of the Vermont CT Store 100% cotton nightgowns and I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

I wish I had a few more....

o

I would pay that. You spend 1/3 of your day in a nightgown. Lawn is a lovely, soft, thin, cool cotton. They have really nice things there, high quality. Go for it!

o

They have extremely high quality products, for something that will last twice as long as something half the price sure especially if I love it and it feels good. I will pay for quality products.

o

I once paid 50 bucks for some pajamas. It was worth it... since I loved them, and wore them for over 10 years. So, I think, 69 might not be so bad.

Moni

o

And....it very likely is "Made in America". I think my nightgowns last me more than 3 years, so if they are "Made in America" and comfy cotton and wear well....what a great supporter you are! and all those things are worth more.

o

yikes!for that i get the cotton ones at wal mart and wash a wear forever! i have one gown i bought at a speciality store (and paid $30) it was the ony place open at the time...but never ever again! i'm sure lawn cotton is very soft and light weight, while most of the cheapies are tee fabric...but i wear mine almost all day...i hate getting dressed to clean, lol...and i have enough to change everyday if need be....

o

I keep thinking I'm going to order from VT Country Store simply because their nightwear is just what I like.

I say go for it! :)

o

I say go for it if you have the money. You'll never miss the little bit of extra money you spent anyhow.

I have bought several Chaps 100% cotton nightgowns for my Mom from Kohls when I had a 30% off coupon.. they ended up being between about $18 and $25 each. She really likes them and I feel like I got a good deal.

o

I do have an $80 pair of Brooks Brothers pajamas, by the way. My cousin found them for me at Goodwill--tags still on! ;-)

o

Let's just say I have those night sweats women get at a certain age...So I often wake up and have to change nightgowns. Rather than spend $69, I open DH's underwear drawer and put on a T shirt. He doesn't mind as long as I do the laundry.

o

Absolutely buy it, you spend more time in that outfit than any other you own and you should be comfortable and love it. I only wear silk as I like the feeling of it. Like cotton, they last sooo long so it doesn't bother me at all. I pay 80.00 for a bra but it's so well made that I only need three to last five years. Generally, in the long run, if you buy quality you get more value considering how much longer the product lasts.

o

Yes that is too much but what are you going to do? It is what it is as they say. Just now, I have been searching for 100% cotton for something like a sun dress to wear around the house when it's scorching hot out and I can just wear that and go outside in too without looking like I'm in my night shirt! This was an excruciating TASK! I thought I never would find 100% cotton! What the HECK is up with that!? Just in the last year or two, wasn't pretty much everything COTTON and now nothing is cotton! I was finally successful at the outlet mall at The Gap! Many 100% cotton sun dresses. I was also able to find a night shirt at the Jockey store that was really cute with small cap sleeves on sale for about $25. I told the clerk how hard it was to find 100% cotton and we started talking about how nothing is cotton NOW! They had ONLY 2 cotton styles!

When it's hot like this, you do not want polyester...yeah it may feel soft but it's like wearing plastic when you sweat! GAH! I'd suggest going to the outlet mall if you have one.

o

Yes...if you feel it gives you a good night's sleep when you wear it.

I know what styles and fabrics give me a good night's sleep - and some are downright cheap and some are more than $69.

Remember - a comfortable night's sleep is the foundation for the day to follow.

o

cost per wear, dear, cost per wear! :)

o

I would not do it for a night gown. At my age and in my financial situation I would splurge on something else. I do splurge on anything I want, thankfully my wants are modest. Electronics are my weakness. When I was younger I was very careful, felt guilty if I bought 3 house dresses at Sears for $10. If it was a purchase for me I felt guilty. Now I can spend without guilt.

I bought a new computer every 2 years whether I needed it or not just to keep up on the advances. I gave my old one to a family member.

o

Honestly I could easily go and pay that amount for a night gown but would I...No.....You should be able to get a really good high quality nightgown for less than half that amount. You will be paying for the VT Country Store name....

I know that the place where we are at this point in our lives is in direct response to careful and wise spending when younger ....More important than that is that we never denied ourselves any luxury but we refused to pay through the nose for our luxuries.

This reminds me of a story that I want to share...My husband always had an "executive" position. He was obligated to dress in a certain manner and at the office one day he admired a jacket (outdoor) that someone had on and the guy told him where he got it....I checked it out for my DH and it was $500 and I asked DH what in the hell they could put in a jacket to make it worth $500...No way would I pay that much....yes buy a good quality beautiful jacket but $500....no way in hell.

My answer is that if you can afford it and want it, and that you expect to never have any concerns about the almighty dollar...they go for it.......

o

This is the one I looked at.....made in China(look under Detail and click on Origin). Still pretty, but $69 is alot; will have to think about it some more.

Here is a link that might be useful: nightgown

o

Check to see where it is made first. Some countries are better than others. Even thought now when it says 100% cotton, it could shrink more than a few years ago. As to the price? depends on you.

o

I checked your link and I have to say I love Eileen West gowns. I've been able to find them on sale at the end of the season at Dillard's for really good prices. I can only sleep in 100% cotton woven nightgowns and that brand has held up better than any of the cheaper ones I've bought. I don't put mine in the dryer. I just let them drip dry which they do pretty quickly since they are thin. I get less wrinkles that way and it's not as hard on the fabric and trim.

o

It really is pretty isn't it? sigh. I usually don't sleep in a nightgown, even in winter, because I get too warm; but I like to have one to slip on right before bed and when needed.

o

I cannot afford to buy clothes at Wal Mart.

When stuff falls apart that quickly, who can afford to keep re-buying?

o

This is the only style nightgown I wear, summer and winter. I buy mine at J.C. Penney's. The labels say "Adonna". I think I pay about $35.

I bought what I *thought* was the same thing at Macy's last winter, but it is a coarser weave, with poorer trim, and a skimpier cut. That was their store brand. (Only bought it because I was a nightgown short and we were on Maui -- no Penney's there anymore; choice of Macy's or Sears.)

It is hard to find 100% cotton A-lines with cap sleeves. I used to buy these for $12 at Ross. I have three (pink, blue, and yellow with Hawaiian pattern in white). I've worn these around the house *forever*. I'll look again in January.

o

My 2 summer nightgowns are from Lands' End and I have no idea how long I have had them. I am pretty sure I purchased one of them when I was in CA. That would have been at least 7 years ago. They are 100% cotton and I throw them in the washer and dryer. I paid around $19-$25 for each of them.

o

For over 10 years, i've bought most of my PJs and nightgowns at Victoria Secret - and haven't needed to toss one yet.

They wear like iron.

o

well you might check the Eilene West site itself on there they are having free shipping and a free bag for it if you spend a certain amount and I think the prices are the same.
100% Cotton Lawn,

this ebay store has them for it seems about half the price and free shipping
Eileen West

a few other sites I saw with 100% cotton
100% White Cotton Gowns

Sleep & Loungewear NorthStyle

this site is probably not cheaper but has some really beautiful cotton gowns
Thea Nightgowns

o

In my opinion, $69 is too nuch for a nighty unless it is made of real silk.

o

Schoolhouse, did you check out stores like TJ Maxx and Marshall's? It might be worth a trip while you're on the fence about this. You're unlikely to find that exact nightgown, but I've seen some lovely stuff with high original price tags selling for very little. And some stores are clearing out their summer stuff already.

o

jem....real silk nightgowns cost a lot more than $69, believe me.

o

No, real silk nightgowns don't necessarily cost more than $69. Try WinterSilks online and/or request their snail-mail catalog. $69 seems to be their current pricepoint, but they have a clearance section. Suggest Silk Charmeuse, which is a gorgeous silk satin...my sole full slip in this material came from them several years ago...oh so much nicer & luxurious feeling than "silky" polyester.

o

The nightgown is very pretty, but I don't think I'd pay that much for something Made in China. I try to buy American goods whenever possible and being able to order online makes this much easier. Of course, US made goods are much harder to find and sometimes the quality isn't great, but the quality issue also applies to Chinese goods.

o

Have you checked ebay?

o

I prefer not to buy things made in China but if you love it and can afford it, buy it and enjoy.

o

jem....real silk nightgowns cost a lot more than $69, believe me.

I know. I know. That was my point.

o

Amazon is also a good place to check for clothing. They have some cute cotton nightgowns.

o

Yes, $69. is too much for a night gown. Don't you have access to a Kohl's, or Marshalls, or TJMaxx or Wal-Mart. I think a well worn old t-shirt is real comfy.

o

$69 is way over my budget, too. Way way way over!

o

I personally would never pay that much for anything I wear. If I wanted a certain kind of nightgown, I would check and see if I could make myself one.

Sue

o

Depends on who you're entertaining in bed.....LOL. I wouldn't pay that much but to each his own. If you really like it, go for it. Life's too short.

o

I think you will have much much better luck actually going to the store and not depending on their on-line site to find an item such as clothing. Stores like Walmart don't have a lot of selection as far as clothing goes on their website.

o

Update in case anyone is interested. lol. Mom and I went to Kohls today and I found these two Croft & Barrow night gowns originally $30, on sale for 50% off. The blue one is 100% cotton, the aqua is 60%cotton/40% polyester :( but it's pretty. Much better than paying $69, but some day I'll splurge. (where else but The Kitchen Table would I post a pic of my pj's? hee hee)

o

Just be sure and look next spring for some when they have a larger stock, won't be 50% off but they'll have a good selection.

When I was at TJ Maxx a couple days ago, they had ONE in a size medium and that is IT! It was a really pretty white one.

o

Good choices!

o

I have found great pj's and lounge wear at Kohls on sale, I stock up on them too.

Those look very comfy and cool.

o

I have found great pj's and lounge wear at Kohls on sale, I stock up on them too.

Those look very comfy and cool.

o

speaking of double posts !!! here we go again.

o

LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here