SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_in_iowa

Magazine subscription rates

linda_in_iowa
10 years ago

I received a renewal notice about my Good Housekeeping subscription. It said I owed $32. That seemed very high to me to went to their customer service site and clicked on "cancel my subscription". It then said something about not wanting to lose me as a customer and lowered my rate to $18. I accepted that, but what a scam to try to get me to renew for $32.

Comments (29)

• iowagirl2006
    10 years ago

I have quit all magazines. I can find any content I want online.

I used to LOVE magazines - but they are all ads and thin paper now.

GH was a good one - I would probably enjoy that one over most now - but I really prefer just looking at things online.

I am surprised the GH subscription was even $18 - most are really cheap to get you to subscribe.

Does GH still do the gingerbread houses in December - I loved looking at those when I was kid.

• juellie1962
    10 years ago

I think $18 is a lot! I believe I last renewed for $12.00 and that was just a few months ago. Magazines are a rip off, but I still like having them around to flip through while watching tv.

• Related Discussions

Ten year magazine subscriptions

Q

Comments (8)
    My SIL was aging and close to dementia. Her daughters had to go to work, but they told her never to open the door to anyone she didn't know. The bad guys were watching. They saw her occasionally on the porch with her walker. The neighbors were working and the house faced on to a little used park. There was no one around. They pounded on her front door over and over, shouting that this was an emergency, that she had to let them in. She did. They told her that the water was about to explode and ruin her house. That she had to go into the bathroom and turn on the water in the bathtub. She asked them why they didn't go in and turn it on. They told her that they had to check the plumbing. While she was in the bathroom, they put something against the door so she couldn't get out easily. They cleaned her out. Besides the cash, there was a valuable coin collection. They even took her important papers, her house history was gone. At least they didn't harm her physically, but she was decimated and it lead to hastening mental problems.
    ...See More

Gift idea: Great Deal on Magazine Subscriptions

Q

Comments (1)
    Great idea . . . thanks for the heads up!! Lynn
    ...See More

Help me find cheap magazine subscriptions

Q

Comments (9)
    One word of warning from someone who was burned twice by these companies who offer magazine subscriptions at deal prices. Only order one year. I paid for two subscriptions for two years, the companies I ordered them from paid the magazine for only one year. After fighting for months to get the two different companies to either pay the rest of the subscription or give me back my money, I've given up.
    ...See More

$5 magazine subscriptions on Amazon

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks, Sheila. Got the Reader's Digest.
    ...See More
  • pkramer60
    10 years ago

Check out DiscountMags.com. Many are for $5.00 for the year.

I refuse to pay more than a dollar an issue. Let the advertisers fund the magazine.

• mamatoad
    10 years ago

I paid 5.69 for my last subscription. 18.00 is very high!

• alisande
    10 years ago

I just accepted an offer to get Good Housekeeping and Woman's Day for a total of $7 for a year. I'll probably regret it, as I can't keep up with the magazines I already have. Sounds like GH is pulling a fast one on you.

• shelly_seattle
    10 years ago

DiscountMags.com has Good Housekeeping for $7.97 Linda. Better see if you can cancel yours cause $18 is just crazy to spend for that magazine.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I don't subscribe to magazines until I get the $10.00 rate! I've gotten Smithsonian, Home and Gardens, Southern Living, and others. :-)

• marie_ndcal
    10 years ago

The one thing I do is when I order a magazine I never put it on a credit card--that way they cannot automatic renew it without your permission. Yes, it has happened to me years ago. I only write a check. Then I wait until I get renew notices and wait until it is the rate I want. Then when I record the information on Quicken I put the expiration dates on the computer.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I notice, if you are already receiving a magazine, they'll offer you a good renewal price. But wait a few more weeks and they'll offer an even better price. I've also carelessly sent in renewal noticescards with a check, then get another bill and sent another check, so I end up extending my subscription way into the future.

• carol_in_california
    10 years ago

I used to subscribe but now go to the library and read for free.
    Or check their website if needed.
    Our newspaper just sent a renewal order....$97/yr.
    If I wait long enough, after cancelling my subscription, I will get an offer I cannot refuse......usually by a kid in front of our supermarket.
    Or I can go to the library.......

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

My pet peve: Taking a subscription for 2 years and then geting a renewal form one year later in hopes I had forgotten that I had another years to go. Thank goodness for the requirement of having to print the expiration date on the mailing label. After that became law, some of my magazines made it hard to find that date. They also began printing the expiration date on the wrapper that gets torn off and tossed away. I have taken to marking the expiration date on the magazine as soon as I unwrap it.

• Lily316
    10 years ago

I got the same offer as Susan. GH and women's day for $7 and I didn't bite. My mother used to pay $ 24 years ago for her subscription to GH. I get no magazines at all any more.

• Alice_sj
    10 years ago

We get one magazine, and it's something like $50 a year for the weekly subscription. We've been fortunate, I think, that friends have gifted us their 2 for 1 subscription or we've gotten 2 years for the price of one. Our original subscription was a gift for the first 2-3 years from a family member. My husband and I both love it, so we get a lot of use out of the $.50 or so it ends up costing us per week.

I'd enjoy getting some of the cooking magazines, but I don't have enough time to enjoy them, so I read them when I have time at the library. Occasionally, I buy one off the rack to have around to read whenever.

This post was edited by alice_sj on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 2:38

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Canada has 2 national women's magazines.....Canadian Living and Chatelaine. They used to be a lot better than they are. Too many ads,much thinner and less content on what interest me, the food section. They might have 3 pages of food when it used to be a good portion of the magazine. Now it's a lot of fashion.

I just checked, and it's $24.95/year. I'd be jumping at a mag subscription for $7 or thereabouts that you guys all get.

Carol, our newspaper subscription is $16/month. And, like everything else, it's thinner and thinner and not a heck of a lot in it. But I'd miss it if I didn't get it, and I love, love the store flyers that come in it. I hate looking online for shopping specials, besides the fact that the stores require a competitor's flyer to price-match.

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

I only pay about $10. for a subscriptions. I just cancel anything above that price and before you know it they will be begging me to subscribe. Everyday Food was one I liked and they quit issuing it. I don't think my subscription ran out. Every so often I get what to me looks like a circular for that magazine with only a few pages In it. If they consider that a magazine I'm disappointed. They also sent me only 1 issue of Martha Stewart magazine which I was not interested in too many ads. Mary

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

While in the doctor's office, I leafed through an O magazine. (Oprah). Wow, what a total waste of money that mag is.

I read not long ago that the Everyday Food and Martha Stewart Living were being cancelled. The EF was a handy little magazine to take in my purse or have in the car to read while I'm waiting somewhere.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

Jasdip, even the mention of Everyday Food gets my blood boiling, LOL. One of the gals at work subscribed to it and would bring in what was left of it for us to look at. She would rip out the recipes she was interested in, but even then it was worth looking at. After a few months of that I decided I would just get myself a subscription so I could see ALL the recipes. For $15 dollars a year I would get Everyday Food and as a bonus they would also send me Martha Stewart Living. Wasn't really interested in the second magazine, but felt Everyday Food was totally worth the $15. I subscribed in September 2012 and a few weeks later got Living, but not EF. I figured it was just a mix-up and they'd get it right the following month. No. In December I emailed them explaining the problem. I was told that the final issue of EF was published in November. Two problems there, as far as I was concerned: 1) I should still have received the issues prior to December and 2) Why the heck are they selling subscriptions to a magazine that is going to cease publication in a few months (and I'm sure they knew it was going to happen for a while). They also told me that I would now be receiving Martha Stewart Whole Living in addition to Martha Stewart Living. I don't think so. I told them that I technically I never received ONE issue of the magazine I subscribed to, only the freebies attached to it and that if they could not fulfill my subscription (and they obviously couldn't), then I would expect nothing other than a refund. I couldn't believe it when a few weeks later I received a check for $7. Another email went out to tell them that I felt that I had been duped and cheated. I still feel that it should have been a total refund, as Living and Whole Living were absolute wastes of paper, IMHO. They didn't even respond to my angry email. I sent one last email, knowing it wouldn't make any difference, but I just needed to vent (much as I'm doing now, please forgive me). I told them that they had a pretty good scheme going, cheating all the new EF subscribers out of all or at least half of their subscription payments. I know many people would just chalk it up to "Oh well", rather than fight (and it WAS a fight) for their money back.

I have never had a problem with Martha, even when she had her big legal problems a few years ago, but I certainly think twice now about buying anything with her name associated with it. I'm still steamed.

Okay, stepping down on the soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent.

I love the Reader's Digest, although it isn't quite the magazine it used to be. But I will only subscribe when I see a $5 deal. I am never offered that price from RD directly. Guess being a current subscriber isn't considered loyalty and not worth a deal. So, one year I will subscribe using my name and the following year I will subscribe using DH's name. The $5 deals seem to come up every year, but only for new subscriptions.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I used to love reading magazines. I read the ones my mother had subscribed to when I was growing up. I loved the short stories in Colliers, Saturday Evening Post, Good Housekeeping and McCall's. I learned about housekeeping and cooking and even the birds and the bees as a young teen heading my father's household after my mother died.

Then when I quit working to stay home and have a family, I subscribed to GH again for quick-to-read articles and fiction that matched the amount of free time I could snatch from my day. I could usually find 20 minutes here and there to sit with a magazine.

I don't really know of any good women's magazines today because I have not looked. The cost of paper and mailing has meant that they have economized so much that I don't know what subscription is worthwhile. I did subscribe to Southern Living when someone here posted notice that they were $5 on Amazon, and I passed them on to my daughter, who enjoyed the cooking and decorating articles.

I would enjoy a good magazine for a reasonable price, but they seem rather costly today and to be mostly ads.

• linda_in_iowa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sheilajoyce, when I was in college and needed to learn about birth control, I would go to the library and read McCall's, Ladie's Home Journal, etc.
    Thanks for the input. I will try to cancel my subscription tomorrow and wait for a better offer.

• Lily316
    10 years ago

I think magazines are getting passe. Country Home was a big favorite of mine that went belly up. Country Living is still printing but looks nothing like the magazine of older times. I hate it. It used to be $24 a year but now I get offers for $7 which I toss.

• lauriemi
    10 years ago

Magazinepricesearch.com is a really good site to get comparison prices on magazine subscriptions. I have used this site with no problem. I like the feel of a newspaper, magazine, or book in my hands. I just don't like using an electronic device to read. Just old fashioned I guess!

• katlan
    10 years ago

I have daily deal sites that I check everyday. One of them is bradsdeals.com every year close to Christmas, one of the deals is 1 yr. subscription to Reader's Digest for $3.99. I get myself, my brother, and sometimes a couple more subscriptions for gifts. I agree with Donna Loomis, RD isn't as good as it used to be, but for 4 bucks a years I'll order it.

Also, if you go to ebates, they have magazines.com as one of their cash back stores. Right now it's 26% cash back. I've seen them list magazines.com many times as the daily double, which means you get 52% cash back on anything you order. You can subscribe for free to ebates, you will get an email every morning from them telling you what that day's daily deal is.

• fiveholetarget
    10 years ago

I use to get magazines just for the coupons. The coupons would pay for the magazine. Now you seldom see a grocery coupon in the magazine except for All You.

Check your local library. Some libraries in partnership with Zinio are offering free magazines that you can download to your tablet. You never have to return them.

This post was edited by dmickey on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 10:42

• forster
    10 years ago

I also never buy magazine subscriptions on a credit card, I only send a cheque when I think the price is reasonable. I have received O magazine for years, just received a bill in the mail for my renewal for one year for $28.26, I went to their website and see where you can get 3 years for $36. I am going to print the deal on their website and mail it in with the $36 cheque. I wonder why they want to charge their long term subscribers more than a casual reader, recently in an issure their was a pull out for O for $1.25 an issue. Not good customer service!!!! I like one of the others on here just wait when I receive a bill for a magazine to send me a better rate, and they do!!!!! If they had my credit card number it would just be an automatic at an outrageous rate.......not right......

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I have the zinio app on my tablet and have a ton of free digital magazines on it.

I started some time ago to use this site for some free magazines. I have always gotten the magazines and always completely free. They will occasionally email me with a special magazine free offer but not bothersome at all.
    FreeBizMag

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

I wrote a message yesterday about what I believe to be Canada's best personal financial advisory magazine ... but it may have looked too much like a commercial ...

... 'cause, for that or whatever other reason, it seems to have disappeared.

o j

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

I have let all my subscriptions expire. I had subscribed to my favorite since the early 80s. I would subscribe in three-year increments.

I started getting renewal notices after one year. I accidentally renewed, and then had to call the office to get it cleared up and the addition year added to the three I already had. It took all sorts of jumping through hoops.

Again, here come more subscription notices. "Lowest price ever," - which was the same price I had always paid.

Then the "special price" renewals were coming every month. I called to cancel everything. That sent them into the song-and-dance of not wanting to lose a valuable customer.

I told them if I went one year without any mail of any kind from them, I would consider renewing. That did slow down the mail, but I never renewed. I don't like being hounded.

• minnie_tx
    10 years ago

I just wish they would print them so you could read them I hate the yellow and orange font colors give me a good back print

• nicole__
    10 years ago

Better Homes & Gardens is $5.99. House beautiful has a BOGO for $12.

Architectual Digest on the other hand is $19.99 a year.....and I think that's cheap for what you get.....

The sales pitch to keep you as a customer and giving you half off is typical of any company who sells over the phone..........most phone sales are "scripted". It's in the script!