Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird Phone Call?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 19:46

Sometime ago didn't someone post about getting a weird phone call concerning their computer? I had one today, he was foreign sounding and asked for Amber. Then he asked if I were a family member and I said yes, and then I did not catch it all but something about Windows and could I get on the computer. I told him no, not while I am on the phone, oh that is okay just look at the keyboard and see the CLT key and next to it the ALT key? I was in the kitchen by my laptop but did not open it or touch a key and I told him yes, then he asks what I was seeing and I told him nothing. He said well wait just a minute. All was quiet for a bit and I finally said hello a couple of times and he answers, I asked what this was about and he said it was nothing to worry about. I hung up. Right away he called back, I did not answer. It comes in on my caller ID as "Unknown Number" and Unknown Name". It also came in the other night at almost 9:00. I hung up then when they did not answer my hello right away. Oh, Amber has not lived here for at least 8 years. Has anyone else gotten a phone call like the one I got today?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird Phone Call?

Here's another report, from the Computer Help Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: strange call

o

Yes, I have had that one. The first time I just said no, I'm not going to do that, and I hung up. Then he kept calling - maybe 10 times in 30 minutes, and I finally asked him "What the hell kind of idiot do you think I am, you jackass?", only not as politely, LOL.

o

They do that all the time here in Oz. Don't engage with them, just hang up. They claim to be calling on behalf of Microsoft to fix a potential problem with your computer. If you follow their instructions you may end up giving them remote access to your computer at worst and ending up with thousands of viruses (one of DH's customers had over 2,000 viruses!) at best. Then they charge you $200 for the insult.

o

I can't help but wonder why you engage in ANY conversation at all with someone you don't recognize about something you don't know. Hang up. When they call back, tell them to hold on while you turn on your recording devices.

o

I've gotten that call several times--I just tell them that I don't own a computer. That gets them off the phone in a hurry!

o

lol Mary C - did that stop the calls? To funny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here