Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comments made in the year 1955! (lots of pictures)

Posted by OklaMoni (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 19:36

I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.00.

Photobucket

Have you seen the new cars
coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000.00 will only buy a used one.

Photobucket

If cigarettes keep going up in
price, I'm going to quit; 20 cents a pack is ridiculous.

Photobucket

Did you hear the post office is
thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter.

Photobucket

I'm afraid to send my kids to the
movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.

Photobucket

I never thought I'd see the day
all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They're even making electric typewriters now.

Photobucket

I'm afraid the Volkswagen car
is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

Photobucket

The fast food restaurant is
convenient for a quick meal, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

Photobucket

There is no sense going on short
trips anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

Photobucket

No one can afford to be sick
anymore. At $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.

Photobucket

If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comments made in the year 1955! (lots of pictures)

Oh, how well I remember almost all of those! We used to take our kids for a treat of the 15 cent Macdonald's hamburgers. Milkshakes were also 15 cents.

Bear in mind, though that salaries were in the $5000 to $8000 per year range. Guess everything is relative.

o

Great memories Moni! The good ole days

o

I think that haircut was free for Elvis, thanks to the US Army!

o

Really enjoyed the memories thanks !!!

o

had to lol..we never ate fast food ever! i had my first when i moved to san diego in 1969...

o

In 1955 we had a 4 year old and an 8 year old. Never took them to a McDonald's. Don't think there even was one where we lived. A treat was the Ice Cream truck. Even the dog waited for that when he heard the ding-a-ling. In those days, DH was working and pursuing a college degree in order to be a school teacher, and you can imagine what our finances were!

Always had my eye on a (blue) Chevy Bel Aire, never got it, . but many years later got a used '65 Chevy Malibu Classic Station Wagon with glass pack mufflers!

Yeah, those days were tough, but great!

Sue

o

I graduated in 1955. I loved the clothes women wore back then, so feminine.

o

Just wanted you to see the dress I was wearing back in the 50's. I tried to do this in this forum, but it was to large and distorted. Tried Photobucket this time.

Photobucket

o

In that era, autos cost roughly $1 per pound.

o

I remember Mom sending me to the store. Milk was 25 cents a quart, hamburger was 49 cents a pound.

o

LOL Neat photos and comments. I had that 2 dr. hardtop red and white 55 Chevy! Of course I didn't get it until 1980! LOL It was every bit as slick looking as the one in the photo, though! :)

o

Emma love your pic. I also love some of the styles from back then. Love the dress, love the shoes. Girls were more feminine. Now if they could only keep todays independence and opportunities but dress nicer than they do now......

Maybe that's why I like the movie Shining Through so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here