Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker question

Posted by jewels_ks (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 19:04

I recently bought an Iced Tea Maker because I love iced tea. Everytime I make it the tea comes out cloudy. I am putting Lipton Iced Tea bags in the holder. Does anyone know why it is coming out cloudy and what I can do to change it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker question

I never put ice in the pitcher while brewing. I use water just a little bit less than where the ice line is on the pitcher.

Then I let the tea cool and I never add ice to the pitcher. I pour it over ice instead.

If it's not the fast cooling making your tea cloudy it may be the water. If your water is hard or chemically softened use bottled spring water.

o
RE: Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker question///

You can also clear up cloudy tea by adding a little boiling water to it.

o

I've been using mine for years with no problems. Just don't add ice to hot tea, that will make it cloudy to sure.
Or like wildchild said, it could be your water. Could it just be air bubbles?

o

I have been using an Iced Tea Maker for years with Lipton tea bags and my tea is never cloudy. I follow directions -put tea bags in the strainer, fill water to the line, pour water in the maker, fill ice to the higher line, put pitcher in place and press the button. It's that easy.

o

From Taste of Home:

Cloudy Iced Tea?

To keep brewed iced tea from getting cloudy, allow it to cool to room temperature before chilling. If it has already turned cloudy, try stirring in a little boiling water.

o

Interesting! I have always made it just the way it tells me to....never have cloudy tea. Maybe it is the ice/water??

o

I also have the ice tea maker and am still trying to get that "perfect" glass of tea.....
How many tea bags do you ladies use?....

o

Whenever I make coffee or tea or even Crystal light, etc. I use filtered water. I keep 2 pitchers of cold filtered water in my fridge-one Pur, one brita. I have no preference, both work well.

o

I also use a Mr. Coffee iced tea maker. I usually use the one that makes 3 quarts of tea. I use ice cubes in mine, both the cubes and the water are from the reverse osmosis filter. I never have clouds. I use either 4 big family sized Luzianne iced tea bags or 9 of the regular sized Irani tea bags. Try a different brand of tea like Luzianne and see if that makes a difference. I didn't always have reverse osmosis water to use and did not have cloudy tea then either. i don't know if putting a coffee filter in the tea holder would help with your problem or not. Could try that. You can use loose tea if you use a filter in it.

Sue

o

Maybe the unit is defective. I always have a pitcher in my fridge (made from the tea maker) and its never cloudy. I'm thinking maybe it isn't heating the water enough that goes thru the tea bags? Is the strainer filled with hot tea after the light goes out???? I use 5 tea bags. Many years ago I used to back 'sun tea' which sometimes ended up cloudy quickly. Call the 800# and see what they have to say about the cloudy tea. I do use the after that comes out of our fridge filter.

o
RE: Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker ?

For 2 Qts of tea I use 1 Large family size bag. Sometimes I will put it on "close" so it will steep just a bit. If you forget it will come out before it overflows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here