Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass stopper stuck in perfume bottle. Any ideas?

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 18:30

I am wondering if anyone has a tip on how to remove a glass stopper from a glass perfume bottle.That sucker is really stuck tight !

Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass stopper stuck in perfume bottle. Any ideas?

Run cold water on the bottle, and hot water on the stopper. Should work. Good luck.
JoanMN

o

You might try setting the whole thing in a bowl of cold water. Get the water up to the neck where the stopper is and see if that will release it.

o

Is there anyway to get a few drops of oil in the stopped area? Like baby oil or cooking oil? It might be enough to help.

I found this online:

How do you release a stuck stopper?
Hold the decanter between your knees with the stopper away from you and tap the stopper gently but repeatedly with a piece of wood (the back of an old fashioned shoe brush is ideal). The slight shock should release the stopper.
Wrap a piece of hot wet cloth round the neck of the decanter. The theory is that this will cause the glass to expand and thus release the stopper.

I hope one will help!

o
RE: Glassx stopper stuck in perfume bottle. Any ideas?

Oops, wrong way around! Hot water on the bottle to expand, cold water on the stopper to shrink it.

o

If both the bottle and stopper are glass, with no rubber or plastic, try this:

Put the bottle in a bowl of hot water; at the same time, rub an ice cube over the stopper. The bottle should expand a little, and the stopper should shrink a little.

o

Are you trying to save the perfume? Maybe a few minutes in the freezer would help.... or a drop of mineral oil where the 2 glass pieces meet.

And I hate to contradict Joan, but I think you would run cold on the piece you want to shrink and hot on the thing it's stuck in. If it's real dainty though, I'd be hesitant to do anything too drastic.

o
RE: Glass stopper stuck in XXXperfume bottle. Any ideas?

I obviously type way tooooo slowly! lol There was only 1 reply when I started typing. Sheesh. I edit too much.

o

I would go easy on the temperature extremes. If this is good glass, hot water or cold water alone can crack it--using both together is a recipe for disaster. My parents were collectors of art glass, and I can assure you that even a few degrees off of room temp can shatter some kinds of glass.

o
Pam!

Do you have Pam cooking spray or the equivalent? Put the nozzle right up against where the stopper fits and spritz it.

I had a wine glass stuck inside a water glass and we tried hot, cold, etc., to no avail.

Pam worked!

o

Just wanted to let you know that my stopper is now unstuck! I poured some olive oil around the neck of the stopper. I tried pulling on it but nothing happened so sat down to watch a TV program. 15 minutes later I tried and it came right off.
Thanks to all of you for the input.

o

Next time, you might try a few drops of penetrating oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here