Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why So Little Info on James Holmes' Family?

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 17:59

The media is usually all over any person of interest. All I see about James Holmes is that he has a mother and a father who live in San Diego, plus some differing descriptions of his personality from different classmates and his pastor. Is he an only child? Is there any extended family?

Now it appears that he was being treated by a psychiatrist at the University of Colorado whose specialty is schizophrenia. There is often some form of 'mood disorder' in the family of someone as disturbed as he is. Was he on medication? Was he taking his medication? Is he being evaluated and/or treated for mental illness within the prison system?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why So Little Info on James Holmes' Family?

Well, his family didn't commit a crime. I'm sure that giving them some privacy is a humane thing to do. You know, the Golden Rule, treat others as you would like the be treated. If he were my child, I certainly would not want to be battered by gawkers.

As for the psychiatric information, I have heard some reports in the news, but the police are not required to release information, and any doctor treating him would be bound by doctor-patient privilege.

o

There might be a gag order issued by a judge.

o

Interesting. Lots of media bashing goes on right here for being intrusive. Gee, I wonder why the media is intrusive.

Those are all legitimate questions, though, but he committed the crime, not his family. I imagine his family is grieving.

o

Hopefully, his family will be able to maintain privacy. They certainly do not need a media parade at this difficult time.

o

I saw an evening talk show like Anderson Cooper or one of those shows like that, and the guest said they are trying NOT to give this guy's actions too much personal acknowledgement. They are focusing on the victims.

As an example, he dyed his hair orange to get media attention - they don't want the media 'all over him'.

o

It's just me to want to figure out WHY -- not 'bashing' anyone. Bizarre behavior is still 'behavior'; it comes from *something*. I'd hope that if we know the 'why's' we might help keep these sad people from hurting themselves and others.

o

Sue, your questions are definently valid, and in time, I think the answers will come out. In the meantime, we will just have to form our own conclusions and hope they can get this young person to talk. So far, they say, he hasn't given any verbal comment on his actions.

o

I did hear that he was complaining of a stomach ache because of the "terrible jail food". Oh, my heart bleeds for him!

He had to have been very intelligent. I don't care if he is crazy....I hope he snaps to long enough to realize the gravity of what he has done and what lies ahead of him. And don't mistake my remarks for sympathy. I have none for him.

o

Why...there are always wrong thinking people that take their anger out on the family. They are probably hidden away for safety. This is a parent nightmare that didn't start last week. I can only imagine...

o

Marilyn-I could fix him a great meal! I have no sympathy for him either.I do feel for his family.I'm sure they are wondering where they went wrong,but I feel more for the ones he murdered and their families.He needs to have NO attention!

o

I think the family deserves their privacy.I'm sure if their names, photos and whereabouts were publicized,there would be threats made against them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here