Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crock pot pork roast

Posted by jeaninwa (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 17:47

I have a lovely little pork roast I'd like to pop into the crock pot to cook while I'm at work...problem, the man doesn't care for BBQ sauce.
Anyone have a yummy pork crock pot recipe with NO bbq sauce?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crock pot pork roast

oh, and any kind of tomato sauce does not agree with him either

o

This is close to what I do but I cook mine in my dutch oven lo temp for 8 hours.

Kahula Pork

Makes 12-14 servings
5-6 pound pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt (coarse sea salt) **I use kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring

**My addition to the recipe, one unpeeled banana on top of the roast
1. Pierce the pork roast all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Place the roast in a large slow cooker and rub the salt all over the meat. Drizzle the liquid smoke over the meat.
2. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low Heat for 16 to 20 hours, turning the roast over once half-way through the cooking time. Depending on how hot your low setting is on your slow cooker, you may or may not need the full 20 hours. When the meat easily shreds with a fork it is ready.
3. Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred with two forks, adding drippings from the slow cooker as needed to moisten the meat.

**I remove the dripping, put in refrigerator, when chilled skim off the fat. Then add the heated drippings to the meat, as much as needed.
*Note: Don’t be tempted to add any additional liquid��"you don’t need it. The fat in the roast will provide more than enough liquid. For this size of roast, you will need a 6-qt. slow cooker. If you have a smaller slow cooker, use a smaller roast and reduce the amount of the other ingredients accordingly.

o

I use 1 (10oz) Each of Golden mushroom and French onion soup. Just dump them in undiluted. You can also add a can of Cheddar Cheese soup with it you like cheese. The soups make a nice gravy for mashed potatoes or noodles.

o

thank you, they both sound delish. My brain was stuck in bbq mode. I can make an awesome bbq pulled pork, but, like I said, the man doesn't care for bbq sauce

o

I'd just use a little chicken broth, some garlic, about a half chopped onion, S&P, and I'd brown the roast first for added taste. My combination electric pressure cooker, slow cooker has a great browning feature that works like a dream so I'm not dirtying another pan :). If you like shredded meat, you can still make a great sandwich meat for toasted buns if you leave it enough hours, pull apart with two forks - it doesn't have to be BBQ to be flavorful. Or slow cooked fewer hours, make a gravy, mashed potatoes, or rice (DH would almost rather have rice while I'm the potato lover)

Sometimes I'll add cumin, a little tomato paste (or not) to the above, slow cook to the pull apart stage and use it for taco filling.

o

I don't like BBQ sauce, either. Dump a packet of dry french onion soup mix, some fresh garlic, fresh mushroom slices a and of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted) and a splash of red wine in the crockpot. Serve with, or over, noodles. (Love spinach noodles with this!)

o

You could treat it like a pot roast.....pile in a bunch of vegetables, garlic, herbs, beef broth or canned onion soup. That's how my husband likes it best. Use the finished liquid to make a gravy.

I use carrots, onions, rutabaga, mushrooms, potatoes, and add some frozen peas when it's done.

o

Salt n pepper, and water so it doesnt dry out.

o

This is our go-to slow cooker pork roast recipe. I've passed the recipe to friends and they love it as well.

It calls for marinating overnight, but I'm not sure that it's absolutely necessary.

Slow-Cooker Sesame Pork Roast

1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider or white vinegar
4 green onions, sliced
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Cut roast in half; place in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish.

In a bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, sesame seeds, molasses, vinegar, onions, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour half over the roast, marinate overnight. Reserve remaining marinade.

Drain pork, discarding marinade. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the reserved marinade. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce temperature to low; cook 8-9 hours longer or until meat is tender.

Remove the roast and keep warm. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cooking juices. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the roast.

o

Ooh, jasdip...that sounds really yummy!

o

mmm that does sound good...wonder if I have any sesame seeds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here