Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cute and functional little pot holder

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 17:44

Here's a little pot holder I bought at an antique booth in an antique mall yesterday for $2.50. Isn't it cute? I had to sew up a hole on the side of it but it didn't take much. I love it because it only fits half of my hand with room for my thumb. Maybe it's a child size? Not sure, but I still like the way it fits on my hand, like a flat pot holder only there's room for a thumb. Not sure what it's made of other than it's heavy crochet material. I can see where it might not work when an oven mitt would be better, but still the design is cute for hot handles on tea kettles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cute and functional little pot holder

....and unscrewing hot light bulbs!

o

Well heck yeah, lol. Wouldn't one be cute in the shape of a dog or kitty's face? I think mine is suppose to be strawberry.

o

That is really clever lucky you!!!

o

That was probably made out of what we call kitchen cotton. Sugar & Cream, Peaches and Cream or Bernat kitchen cotton. I love it! Yes, a dog or cat's face would be cute. And I do think your's looks like a strawberry. I think I will try making one. I certainly have enough kitchen cotton to do it! I've been making dish cloths and pot holders like crazy lately. It won't be fancy, but I'm going to give it a try.

Tami

o

I hope you do Tami and post photos. Flowers would be pretty,too. One note about the weave, or whatever you who crochet call it, it could have been crocheted a little tighter, not as loose as my strawberry, because I could feel the heat of the kettle handle more than I expected - not terribly, but noticeably.

o

Make the top green and the underside of the hand and the thumb yellow, put two bigs eyes on top and you'll have a frog puppet.

o

That's great -- glad you found it!

o

Very cute. My Grandma (gone since 1961) usec to crochet things like that.

o

Frog comes to tea, Lazypup? ;)

o

Frog is very elegant, refined, and sophisticated. Of course he and Nephew take tea every afternoon. "Something sweet?" Ladybugs! "Something savory?" Junebugs!

LOL

He prefers green tea, of course.

o

Look what I found directions for a Strawberry pot holder with thumb. Lots of free patterns for pot holders....

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Pot holder

o

Now that is a good one! I like it!

o

Oh my gosh, Sue! You are great, thanks for the link. I'm going to forward it to my sister-in-law who is thinking of making some to sell at her craft fairs. Woo-hoo!

I wonder what year these "vintage" patterns are from? Maybe it says and I just haven't looked over the entire site yet.

o
favorites

I like them all but the "Hot Dog", "Apple", and the "Pansy" are my favorites.

o

Sue, thanks for the link. I have not had time to try it yet, but will try to remember to post pics when I do. I am still working on hot pads for a shower gift tomorrow, have been on the road chasing trains all day, and have to leave again in a few minutes. While riding in the truck chasing trains is not the time to try something new! I did get one and a half finished of the pattern I am working on, tho! I might be able to try one tomorrow after the shower.

Tami

o

That strawberry is very cute!! I'm glad you posted a picture using it to show how small it is, maybe a child's size? My daughter loves strawberries and would love it.

o

lazypup would like one of these

Here is a link that might be useful: froggie

o

Tami, why do you ride in a truck, chasing trains? You have
my curiousity up, for sure!

o

Jasdip, My DH loves trains. Especially steam trains. We frequently go to different places to just sit and watch trains. Occasoinally, we will actually chase them. Yesterday and today, the 765 steam locomotive, think Polar Express engine, was doing staff appreciation tours between two towns within an hour and a half from us. They made three runs yesterday, and two today. There are many places along the track that you can stop to get pictures. This is what we were doing. Driving back and forth between the two towns and getting video and still pics. A few years ago Union Pacific did a promo run thru Iowa, and, I think, Nebraska. Maybe another state. I can't remember. We drove to Iowa and chases, with many others, including law enforcement! Most who do this are very considerate about thier driving. The police were there for order and because they wanted to chase it too! Some were leading the pack! I drove my big Expedition with DH sitting in the back seat where he could take video and still pics from either side of the car without me being in his way, depending on which side of the car the track was on at the time. If the file isn't too big, I am going to try to include a pic from yesterday. He tends to shoot with the biggest file the camera will support, for those familiar with DSLR cameras, he shoots in RAW file, so I don't know if it will work without re-sizing it. I haven't had time to do anything to any of them. I had a bridal shower to attend today, chaufuering my mom & aunt, plus picking up a few groceries for mom & dad. My butt is whooped again! Sorry, the file was too big and message was rejected. I'll have to re size a few and post them.

Tami

o

A kitty or a dog with teeth/open mouth. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here