SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Okay, if her brother can come ...

joann23456
11 years ago

My niece is almost 11 years old. She has lots of friends she likes to hang out with, many of them with younger brothers and sisters.

Something we're finding again this summer is that when my niece (or one of us) calls to invite a friend over or out to do something, we'll get the response, "Sure, but it would be great if her brother can come, too." I've questioned this, and have gotten answers ranging from, "They're so close" to "He gets so upset when his big sister gets to do something he doesn't."

Do any of you find this with your kids? It's right along the same lines as inviting eight kids to a birthday party and having three of them show up with younger siblings. What in the world! When we were kids and one of us got to do something the others didn't, my mom just said, "They invited your sister, not you." End of story. Often, too, it just feels like a request for free babysitting.

I don't go along with the two-for-one suggestion, but it irritates me. Who thinks it's okay to invite their kids to someone else's house?!! (These aren't family friends, they're just the parents of my niece's friend.)

Just venting!

Comments (21)