Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck did people wear in the 70's??

Posted by stephmc72 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 16:42

We are leaving for Canada next Tuesday. We have a 70's party to go to while we're there and we still don't have costumes. I'm going crazy trying to find something and I'm running out of time!

Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck did people wear in the 70's??

Hot pants

o
RE: What the heck did people wear in the 70 more

Oh
Women
High heeled boots that reached up to the kneecap
Halter tops
Men
Nehru jackets
long sideburns

o

The pants were short and the jeans were very very low.
Crop tops and halters (NO bra) abounded!

o

http://www.fashion-era.com/1970s.htm

o

Let me add that I'm feeling frumpy and fat right now so I dont want any halter type stuff, nothing too tight, nothing too short. So, what did pregnant people in the 70's wear?? LOL

o

Pregnant people wore maternity smocks and mostly double knit flare legged pants. Our maternity clothes looked like maternity clothes with none of the let it all show look you see today.

o

Bell bottoms, wide collared shirts, wedge heels, flower patterned pants, gypsy ruffled skirts and tops, head bands, hair parted in the center (maybe braided), colored sunglasses.

You might have time to get a few things off eBay if you search for buy-it-now items?

o

How about a dashiki or caftan? Smock tops, wide leg pants, some bell bottoms...

Guys- think Saturday Night Fever! lolol Man, we dressed funny!

Here is a link that might be useful: I love dashikis...

o

Steph....look for a long, empire waisted print dress. That was common maternity wear for parties.
Put Brent in tight jeans and a nehru jacket.

o

There is a great photo of my DH. He was wearing platform shoes, plaid polyester pants, and mutton chop sideburns. Stylin'!

o

Steph, check out your local thrift stores -- they probably have lots of '70s clothes. Khaftans are listed on marygailv's suggested site, and one of those would be comfortable and cover you up.

Men wore pants that fitted tightly, and belts with noticeable buckles. Vests were also popular.

I'll put a link to the helpful site marygailv posted:

Here is a link that might be useful: '70s style

o

Ask your mom Steph, did she save any of her lovley maternity clothes (NOT - LOL) Maternity clothes in the 70's had Big bows, ruffles & puffy sleeves, dresses were like house dresses, nothing compared to maternity clothes now. Good luck,

o

Check out the Hippie Shop.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hippie Shop

o

In the early 70's, I had a floral tent dress. Very loose, zip up the back. It was blue and green floral print. I wore with flat ballet shoes.

o

Leisure suits! I looked back at a reunion pic taken in 1976, and the men were a sea of leisure suits (several were sort of pale blue, ick), nylon shirts, and flowered ties. I don't remember what I wore in the 70s other than maternity clothes. Wait, I do remember doubleknit polyester pantsuits. Apparently, I wasn't totally successful at blocking that out of my memory!

o

Polyester knit fabric--indestructable. It snagged, but never wore out. Jump suits too, preferably with boots, short boots, or 2 inch thick soled shoes. Minis were in.

Maternity smocks were huge. I did wear long maternity dresses with no waist. Is that when "Baby on Board" or "Baby=>" (with an arrow pointing down to the stomach) maternity shirts became popular???

o

Fake fur vests
beads
bell bottoms
turtlenecks
Blousy tops
wide belts
Lowslung pants
Bright bright colors

Lori

o

Here's a picture of us in 70's clothes...circa 1974 or 75.

70's cruise

o

ShielaJoyce what a good memory,that was when the "baby" shirts became popular, here is mine circa 1975
scan0073

o

If you want to go for the exercise look ....

-legwarmers (especially scrunched down to bag around the ankle)
-sweatshirts with collars cut off so can drop the neck down onto the shoulder
-headbands (like a tennis player would wear)
-hair pulled back into a high ponytail

I also wore a small filmy kerchief rolled and tied around my neck when I want to dress up a buttoned down shirt.

GOOD LUCK! and have fun!

o

Yes ,coral, lesiure suits.
I had this incredibly ugly, plaid, polyester lesiure suit.
Here's a blast from the past. We're all decked out for Christmas.
I won't even tell you which one I am.

Photobucket

Ron

o

As a teenager in the late 70s we wore a lot of taper legged jeans and cords (courderoy pants) and t-shirts or those triangular shaped blouses with half-long sleeves and big poufy-sleeved shirts that were tight at the waist-think Stevie Nicks. I see that they've made a comback sort of in the stores now. Some girls wore jeans with suspenders, with their jeans folded up and long, brightly colored striped socks-think Mork from Ork (you probably don't know who that is). Then there is the dressy, silky disco dresses that Diane Von F...can't remember her name made famous. They were those wrap dresses, strappy high heels. Oh, and clogs were really big with either dresses or jeans. Think Saturday Night Fever.

o

Ahhhhh, my era. For casual Summer everyday wear I wore bell bottom jeans or short shorts with halter tops, or skippy t-shirts (braless, of course). When I wore a dress it was like a long t-shirt but very short, barely covered the butte. Or very long to the ground with an empire waistline. With my hair up and a choker necklace and very big dangling earrings. Actually I still have some those earrings, almost anquites now. LOL
Clare

o

I was pregnant twice in the 70's and I wore dresses called a "tent" dresses for dressing up, and maternity pants with the elastic insert and a huge maternity blouse.
DH wore pastel leisure suits with white shoes and thought he was cool LOL! Kathy

o

I remember lots of vests, bell bottom pants, and Farrah hairstyles. Waffle stomper shoes, and chokers. I has dangle earrings that touched my shoulders, and anything turqoise. Lots of suede purses, hair parted down the middle, and a sterling ring on every finger. I had feather earrings, white eye shadow, and lots of lip gloss. I still wore my P.O.W. bracelet, gauze shirts, and ear cuffs.

Have fun!

Trin

o

Peonies, are you sure you're not talking about the 80s??

I was in jr. high and high school in the 70s. Empire waist big time! Bell bottoms! Later 70s was DISCO - polyester! You could have a lot of fun with this!

Sheryl

o

Peonies, are you sure you're not talking about the 80s??

Definitely 80's. DD was a preteen then and dressed like that. It was all about Punky Brewster to Jennifer Beals look in Flashdance to Juice Newton's style at the time.

o

I graduated from high school in 1978.

My fave outfit was wide-legged pants (not quite bell-bottoms--more stove pipe) that fit REALLY tight around the butt, in bright orange.

And a shirt w/ very long points on the collar, ver long cuffs, and very flowing sleeves.

I remember denim skirts made from blue jeans.
Hot pants.
Tie-in-the-front crop tops.
Leisure suits, and lots of plaids in bright colors.

Sometime around 1976 the tiered peasant skirt was in, along w/ a matching camisole. But it was usually all the same fabric, if I recall correctly.

o

LOL Ron! Perfect! Whichever one you are, you look every bit as awful as my husband did back when I thought he was a sharp dresser. LOL

o

I wish I still had my platform shoes I graduated high school in in 1973...the platform was over an inch high and the heel was about 3 inches high...I was styling!
check out these shoes!!

o

Liz, love that picture! Love those platform shoes. White with black tights, no less!!

I should start scanning some of my pictures....

Sheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here