SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Class reunions

party_music50
9 years ago

I was just contacted by a former classmate about someone else wanting to plan a class reunion for next year. I'm not quite sure why she contacted me... wondering if I'd be interested in going, maybe? Anyway, as far as I know, my class has only had one other reunion and it was on a Thanksgiving weekend. I did not attend.

So tell me about class reunions. Have you gone to any? are they fun or duds? BTW, my total class size was approx. 110.

Comments (36)

• alisande
    9 years ago

The only class reunions I've been to have been my husband's college reunions, and I've gone (twice) as a widow. They are extravagant, 4-day events, and his class covers all the widows' expenses. I had a marvelous time both times. I hope I'll be able to go to their last one in 2017. (My DH was 13 years older than I.)

I didn't graduate college, and my high school has never contacted me about a reunion. If they held one, I would have loved to have gone.

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

Don't wait until your 55th class reunion, like I did. Bunch of old people :o) and everyone was leaving at 8pm.

Wished I had gone to the earlier ones, and I'm told were lots of fun, full weekends reunion. Not this one, just one night.

Won't go to the next one! Even if I am still here. Will be in 3 years.

• Related Discussions

Waiting for a call

Q

Comments (7)
    Your posts I always look for and enjoy them very much. Glad that you got your call. That's something I don't have to worry anymore, if there is one good thing about giving up driving. Know how you feel about Leone's class reunion. I went to my husband's 50th reunion, the first one he ever went to. Another guy and he were the only ones who left the area. Everybody and their spouses knew each other, the other guy was single and I did not know a soul. On top of it, I was the only foreigner and I felt like a fish out of water.
    ...See More

And then there were four

Q

Comments (8)
    George, I think Wilma could have kept up with my Great Aunt Loretta (maybe). The last time I saw her alive was at my grandmother's funeral in the 1980's. At that time she was around 90, and I distinctly remember her at the reception afterwards looking very chic in a Chanel suit, drinking a Manhattan and puffing away on a Winston & complaining that "she couldn't get around like she used to." It's great that your class is still holding reunions and you're all still enjoying yourselves. Keep the stories coming.
    ...See More

Do You Go to Your Class Reunions?

Q

Comments (34)
    I went to 1 of our reunions....i believe it was the 10th....anyway, while in school, we had a small class, and everyone was in a "click" as i call it....and rarely did anyone talk to anyone except for those 3 or 4 ppl in their click...it was hard for me cuz I liked talking to anyone or would hang out with anyone. Anyway, I thought after 10 yrs, maybe they would change or grow up...NOT!!!!! I was there for 10 minutes, walked over to talk to someone, and she saw i was coming and turned her back! I got my stuff, said goodbye to my friends, and left. The next time I got an invite, I returned it with a note explaining why I wouldnt be there and to not send me another one cuz I wouldnt go anyway...anyone I want to see, I already make time for! It is so sad when ppl are like that! http://debfrompa.proboards.com/index.cgi?/
    ...See More

Need to vent !! :-( (very long)

Q

Comments (31)
    I'd stay in a hotel in the same town. If some of the functions are at a hotel, stay there. Reunions have different get-to-gethers. That way you'd be close enough to go to whatever functions without the hassle of driving back and forth. As far as MIL, I'd tell her you were coming, rather DH can, and that staying in the hotel is for convenience as the functions are at different hours and some may run late. This way no worry of waking the house up. Then too, you'd be right there if schedule changed where you could be a part of all of it. Now, as far as that sweet, nice BIL. Tell hubby, you need to make arrangements for a U-Haul trailer to pull back home. He and you are going to BIL and tell him you are there to pick up the things you had given to the grandmother and appreciate him keeping them for you. Sorry it's taken so long but with no one telling you about it, you weren't there. Then time just went by. Just be sure to make a list you can hand him of what you want. If he doesn't have it, where is it? Who else was there and got things? Pay them a little visit too. If you are going to diss them off might as well do it in style. :O) Tell MIL to kiss your grits, so long, farewell, no more control. Have a happy life, etc!!!!!!! It has been too much time wasted worryng about MIL and her ways. People are what they are. She probably saw nothing wrong with what she did. That's her lifestyle. Take care of yourself, enjoy the reunion, and hope you get back the things given to grandma. Lynn
    ...See More
  • jackie643
    9 years ago

My 50th reunion was two years ago and it was great.
    we even had CD's made showing our class pictures and what we look like now. LOL boy have we all changed!
    We voted to have one this year because most of us will be 70 years old.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I've been to several HS reunions. The 20th was the most fun as we were still young enough to party. That one was raucous!

They have all been fun. I walked into one of them and walked out again thinking I must be in the wrong room. So many old people!

Now I am helping to organize out 50th next year. I hope we can make it special. We're having it at a nice hotel so out-of-towners can stay there. We'll have a Friday night cash bar party, perhaps a tour of the high school on Saturday afternoon and a cocktail reception and buffet dinner on Saturday night. I'm looking forward to it.

Every year we lose a few more classmates. One of my very good friends died a couple years ago and it won't be the same without her.

My class was 325 and about 100 plus spouses show up.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Did the first one (10), and that was the end of attending those boring events.

• chisue
    9 years ago

My HS class was over 900 people. I keep up with a few over the years.

DH loved HS and I accompanied him to several of his reunions. For him, school was always 'home safe home' (away from his adoptive mother). I've gone to his college days when he wants to go.

Both of us would be more likely to attend grammar school reunions. As 'only children', those kids were more like 'family' to us. I also had a close group of surrogate sibs in my neighborhood; DH did not.

• Jodi_SoCal
    9 years ago

Since my husband is two years older than me and attended all the same schools (2nd grade to high school) as I including two different high schools, we have attended lots of class reunions since we graduated in '69 and '71.

The most recent which was two weeks ago for classes 1938 to 1980 when our first high school closed. Our second high school was built in 1968 and my hubby was in the first graduating class. I single-handedly pulled together a four class reunion ('69-'72) for 1,800 alumni back in 2001. Never again. Never again. :-)

We've had a blast at every single one of them. The one two weeks ago have teachers show up who we had back in the 60s and 70s. Same for the reunion I ran back in 2001. What a treat that was.

Jodi-

• YogaLady1948
    9 years ago

To any of mine never, I did not have a good HS experience, so I would not bother to attend, folks would probably not know me;(

I have gone to 2 with DH he and his 2 brothers went to a small Catholic school and his SIL went to their sister school. Both were nice but oh so boring for me, I knew no one. My DH, his brothers and SIL ran around all night having a blast. I sat in the bar with another wife and we just drank and chit chatted;)

• golfergrrl
    9 years ago

I live 3000 miles from my high school.
    I've never heard about a reunion let alone
    been to one. There's no one I care to
    reconnect with.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have gone to all of my HS reunions and have always had a great time which `is kind of odd because I hated high school. I came into my own after high school.

I don't go to my university reunions.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

I went to my 45th HS reunion (taking my wife along) about 6 years ago. Although I knew that they were all my age, some looked like they were almost dead! Of our graduating class of 670+, almost 75 had died (that we were able to tell for sure).

I was in on the plans for a 40th and we ended up with 10 people who wanted to attend. We didn't do it. In Chicagoland, there is a business that organizes these things, they did our 45th. I was OK.

Last year, they did a 50th and I passed on it. Only 2 hour drive, but I didn't need that. I saw some pictures after and that was fine with me.

• nanny98
    9 years ago

I think we missed our 60th which would have been last year. Our 50th was pretty nice.... even if we were all old folks. I was surprised that from our class of 41, so many of us were present and/or accounted for, and several still married to our first spouses. Didn't hear about any plans for last year so I believe our ranks have thinned. (And San Fran gets farther and farther away from Oregon)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I've been to a couple and had a great time at both. They were three day events, the first night a more formal dinner dance, second night we took over the bowling alley and had a DJ, and the third day has always been a cookout/picnic.

By the end of the first night, I totally felt like we were back in high school, a good thing for most of us. I've never attended one of my university reunions, but I'd love to.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I've been to a couple and had a great time at both. They were three day events, the first night a more formal dinner dance, second night was bowling with a DJ, and the third day has always been a cookout/picnic.

By the end of the first night, I totally felt like we were back in high school, a good thing for most of us. I've never attended one of my university reunions, but I'd love to.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

wouldn't go too much weight gain, and the people who run them are the same I was ignored by back 50 years ago. I did have about 5-6 close friends but only contact one...holllywood has changed drastically, and would be very different...

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I went to my 35th because some H.S. friends twisted my arm. Some people looked exactly the same with just a few expression wrinkles, some were totally unrecognizable, and some looked better than ever. It was a fun experience but no desire to go back. I use to have family there that I could stay with but no more and it's not worth all the expense to go.

• jackie_ok
    9 years ago

I just went to our 50th a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I had ever gone. It was nice and we had a good time. It was a good thing we had name tags because I didn't recognize anyone. It was just an afternoon event and I did enjoy it.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

My high school, which is 350 miles from here used to have their reunions over Thanksgiving weekend and since I'd rather spend that time with my family I've never attended. However they've recently changed it to a weekend in spring and that might make all the difference. My 50th will be in 2017.

My high school was an all girls, Catholic school and my graduating class was only 65 students. Our reunions are open to all graduates and each year they have special activities for the classes marking a 5th year. So when my 50th arrives in 2017 there will be separate get togethers for each class marking their 55th, 60th, 45th, etc.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I went to a private school with only 32 students. We've had many reunions over the years and I've had a blast at every one of them. The last one was at a hotel and we all stayed over, it was more than wonderful. It's like seeing family again.

• gazania_gw
    9 years ago

Just 51 in my graduation class and most of us started out together in first grade. Reunions were had every 10 years, but we had such a good time at the 50th that we voted to have another in 5 years.

At the 50th, the husband of one of my classmates remarked to my husband as they watched about 20 of us sitting in a circle thoroughly enjoying being together, "just look at them, they're 16 again, isn't it wonderful". It was!

So this year was my 55th year class reunion. Sadly I missed it due to health issues. I was really bummed out about it.

Our class president keeps a website going for just our class so we can keep up with one another.

This post was edited by gazania on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 10:57

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

Went to my 50th last October, and it was a blast.
    We have them every 10 years.

Had a rock band that plays 50s music down the Jersey shore in the summers.

Big attendance, and the ball room at the hotel had a big screen showing classmates yearbook pictures, with current bio information .

Pictures taken of groups by pro photographer, and the standard casual pics were available on CD later.

Even one of our former teachers were there.

Loved it.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Never went even though DH and I graduated same HS same time. He just was not interested and I had not good memories because of poor relationship with my parents. They did have one for our 50th but DH felt it was too expensive and too elaborate for him. Held in a real expensive hotel with very high price food, and entertainment. That was just not our HS or students. We were middle class fun kids.
    Tried to do a 60th, but never got established.
    This was in CA

• party_music50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It appears that class reunions are a hot topic with many different perspectives and experiences! This is for my HS reunion where I would have known most students from kindergarten... my college reunion happens every year, but that student body was huge and there were no long-term friendships so no reason to attend.

My best friend in HS was killed in a car accident at 16, and my next best friend got married the minute she turned 18 and I never saw her again. Both were in my class, but otherwise my friends were older. I was an enigma because I hung out with the wild bunch but was also an honors student. It's one of the jocks that wants to plan the reunion and I'm positive it won't be fancy or at a hotel! and it might be 3 hours long -- dinner out someplace, but certainly not 3 days! :O)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

In May DH attended his 45th reunion in the country where he grew up. He had not been "home" in 40 years. He had in recent years reconnected with HS classmates (small Catholic school) via Facebook. Some he went to grade school with as well. He had a wonderful time. Probably 30 people attended including some teachers. He was walking down the street a few days before the reunion and ran into the priest who was the principal back then who remembered him and his family. He plans to attend the 50th.

I have never attended a reunion. Over 1200 in my class and Ive lived on the opposite coast since before the 10th reunion. They used to make up booklets with names addresses, occupations, kids, etc and I always purchased them and caught up that way, but they stopped doing those when the internet took over. Most of the same attendees throughout the years I only knew in passing...no close (at the time) friends, so I've never had the desire to go. I've found that the few times I have reconnected with people from HS, after the initial filling each other in on family' etc...the conversation dies off quickly so there's probably a reason we never stayed in touch to begin with.

I actually think it would be more fun to have a reunion of my Catholic grade school class...pretty much the same kids through 8th grade. Lots more memories there and things to reminisce about. I'm still close with two grade school friends.

• lindaohnowga
    9 years ago

I can't travel over 14 hours to attend our yearly HS reunions. I am kept informed with newsletters which often include pictures. Even if I were able to attend, I really have no desire.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

There were about 750 in my class, and both the 20th and 30th reunions I went to had several hundred attendees from the class (plus spouses and guests). After the 30th, I realized there was really no reason to go to another one.

My college class had several thousand students.

These days it's easy enough to find people if you want to. I maintain the friendships I want from that period, there's nothing gained from going to group gatherings.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

DH and I graduated HS in the same class, 41 years ago. We still live in the same town. About 125 in our class.

We have a reunion every 10 years and DH and I go. It's just a little get together with a meal. Only about 40 show up, and usually the ones who live close by (within 50 miles) don't come.

Last year we had our 40th and the organizer - the Homecoming Queen, the girl who had it all (money, brains, popularity, family connections) didn't come. She said the last time she organized something, nobody came because they didn't like her. :( Now, that isn't something I would expect from the Homecoming Queen! An eye-opener, for sure.

I guess everybody's insecure. Who knew.

• sherwoodva
    9 years ago

I went to school in the country. Graduating class of 205 kids. Some of us were together from K-12 and others transferred in. I had a quiet, lonely time in HS, but "bloomed' in my 20s. Have been to every reunion. Ten year and 20 year were two day events. No one did the 30 year, so I found people via the internet and phone calls. It was 32 years, but we called it a "group 50th birthday party." Found about 80% of the class. We also invited people who had been with us for most years but moved away before graduation. Did the 45th in 2010 and will likely do the 50th next year. We've lost a lot of classmates over the years, so this one will be smaller. With Facebook, it is easier to keep in touch. My sister and I went to a reunion two weeks ago for a class four years behind mine. We had fun; many were younger siblings of people from our classes.

In 2010, a HS in town had a reunion (Same graduation year) and it was $450 per person. Ours was 1/10 of that!

• party_music50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, my contact about a class reunion came through Facebook! I've concluded that Facebook seems to be all about being found by people you knew from your youth. Why? It's a little creepy, actually. When I joined FB it took less than 2 hours before I was contacted by a virtual stranger I had dated a couple times when I was 16 years old. Really creepy. lol!

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

The only class reunion I have missed was the 10th because I was living on the opposite coast at the time. Everyone told me I didn't miss anything. I always have a blast at my reunions. Four years ago was the 50th an I hope we have one next year because we lose people between reunions. Some people I recognize and some I am just shocked by how old they look. I went to high school in CA and now live in Iowa but it is worth it to fly to the reunion.We all like each other now and everyone hugs everyone.

• workoutlady
    9 years ago

I have been to two of mine out of about 6. I didn't have fun so I quit going. My class was small with only about 60 in the class. Not sure if I'll go to the next one or not. My DH graduated a year ahead of me and we have been to every class reunion for him. His class was a more laid back class and so his reunions are very laid back (and inexpensive.) We have a blast at his reunions. Not sure why two classes from the same high school would be so different. His class is more down to earth than my class. It has always been that way.

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

We had a 50th high school reunion last October and I had a blast. So much fun to see everyone. I also belong to a Facebook group that has members of the town we grew up in before it became part of Windsor. Most of us went to the same high school or grade school or other local schools and we often have local get togethers. Yesterday about 15 of us met up at a local park and had a picnic. Some of our friends were from out of town. Great fun!

Anne

• Orchidllauraga
    9 years ago

I really don't want to go to my class reunions, if I have't hook up with them via facebook I figure they don't want to see how I am doing so they can just fade away. I have hooked up with a classmate that was a year ahead of me, and we are renewing our friendship. In fact, she and her boyfriend came over here for the 4th and we had a blast!!! So not even wondering if they are going to have a 35th reunion or a 40th...Can I really have been out of school 33 years???Wow

• secsteve
    9 years ago

Our last was our 30th and I had a great time. So much fun seeing everyone and hearing all their stories. I was surprised at the number of guys that commented they wished they had stayed in the military like I did.

Was amazed at the number of folks who were unhappy with their jobs and the fact they never left the hometown. Being career military I traveled to different states and countries.

Two classmates lived behind each other for years and only discovered that at the reunion!

We have a special page on FB and I'm going to inquire if there are any plans for our 50th. Can't believe it will be 50 years in 2016.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny, I saw the 'group' option on Facebook the other day and I created a group so that interested class members could discuss the possibilities for a reunion or get-together of some kind. I'm going to scan and post some photos from our yearbook... that should get them talking. LOL!

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

That is a great idea to start a Facebook group. When ours started we found we all felt the same way in school, we all had the same insecurities even the people we thought were the "popular" ones. i am good friends now with people
    who would not have given me a second glance in high school because I was so shy. We had great fun when someone started posting our yearbook and graduation pictures.