Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yep, it's cataracts

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 15:59

We just got back from the optometrist, and hubby has cataracts in both eyes. 2 different kinds, one is a very fast-moving one. Even today with the changes he made with his computer screens.....dark background, white print and enlarged, it's worse than it was yesterday, even.

The optometrist even called the girl at the front desk in to show her hubby's eyes. She's a student from Chicago, and hasn't seen his situation before.

Because it is cataracts his examination is covered by our provincial insurance, instead of $200 out of pocket. Eye exams are not covered as a rule.

He's also putting a fast request for surgery as well. We are all relieved, as we know cataract surgery is quick and painless, and commonplace. Still a little nerve-wracking as it is our eyes, after all. But it only takes 5 minutes.

I know some of you had cataract surgery and we feel very confident.

This post was edited by jasdip on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 16:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yep, it's cataracts

Very glad to read it's cataracts, and not a detached retina. Good thoughts for your hubby and I'm also glad they are fast-tracking his surgery appointment. I had no idea there are different kinds of cataracts that grow at different rates.

o

that is good but sorry it is such an aggressive type. I am sure he will be getting the lens implants which are so nice, I actually am looking forward to my time so that I can get the multi focal lens implants and actually see for the first time in my life with out glasses or contacts. I don't know what it is like to wake up and be able to see anything except blur.

o

My optometrist's assistant told me because I now have lens implants the reg eye check up will be considered medical and insurance will pay for it all.

o

My first one was fast too. I didn't pay the extra hi price for multi focus lenses. Soon you'll be amazed and happy.

o

You know what's scary? Nothing about the surgery or anything.

The opt. asked hubby if he was driving and he said "Heck no, I can't see worth a crap. I don't even go for rides on the bicycle." The dr said "That's good! But unfortunately, legally you Would be able to drive.....the standards are that low!" That is scary, picturing people behind the wheel with that poor of vision.

o

Sorry to hear of this extra problem, Sherry: good wishes to you both.

Unless something unusual develops, it shouldn't be a major issue.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here