Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dentist in San Jose CA area?

Posted by suzieca (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 15:00

Hello,
Hoping for a recommendation for a dentist who does both implants and dentures. DS needs lots of work but funds are limited...
We're in San Jose CA area...have already tried dental school at UCSF. They say they can't do the work that he needs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dentist in San Jose CA area?

Joseph C. McMurray is a good implant guy/oral surgeon. My dentist sent me to him for a single implant. Haven't had it done yet but I am very comfortable with him and friends who used him were very satisfied.

Most dentists don't do implants, They send you to an oral surgeon for the prep and then order the tooth/r teeth for you.

Many dentists do dentures though. Not in house but through the lab.

Be careful with the "we do it all cheap" implant ads you see. You get what you pay for.

If he hasn't done so your DH should go to a dentist to see what would be best for him. They are getting away from yank and replace these days. I had a horrible mouth 20 years ago and expected to be in dentures by now. I will probably die with my teeth. DH went to dentures back in the c dark ages when he was only 20 years old. Regrets it now.

o

You might try Loma Linda or USC in Los Angeles. I think both have dental schools.

o

Are you willing to travel to the Tri-valley area?

My DH had an implant done last year and was very happy with our oral surgeon. Be careful of those that advertise "All in one day". In most cases it's a two to three step process with healing time in between, especially if you need a bone graft.

I was a dental assistant and interned at UCSF (several years ago). From my experience, they did not get into really complicated or time consuming issues. Hopefully things have changed.

o

A ski buddy of my husband had two implants done at UCSF dental school about 5 years ago. Said he saved some money by doing it this way, but was more time-consuming as he didn't live in SF, though had a part-time retirement job at the SF Airport at the time, so I guess that helped somewhat on his "on" days. They were front bottom teeth, & was impossible to tell which ones they were vs. the others. It still was not terribly inexpensive.

o

So far we are looking at approx $15k and that's if there are no complications w/implants...he will need 4 implants so he can get the 'snap-on' dentures. That's a ton of $$$ when you are unemployed as he is. I'm trying to help but not sure if I can handle that much $$$

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here