Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me about "Awesome" cleaner

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 14:54

A new Dollar Tree opened in my neighbourhood. I've never been to one, Dollarama is my go-to dollar store.

They sell Awesome cleaner......both in a large bottle and a spray bottle. It's a yellow concentrate. They also have it in Orange.

Can it be used on clothing? Carpets to clean up cat-yak stains? What do you use it on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me about "Awesome" cleaner

I use Awesome on almost anything--but not glass. It truly is awesome!!! I've been using it for about 10 years, and always have it handy in both kitchens, all the bathrooms, and the laundry room (it is good on clothing). The Orange is OK, but I seldom need to use it.

If you want the most perfect glass cleaner ever, try Spiff Cloths - one wipe over a mirror/window. It dries on its own, with no streaking whatsoever. They are amazing!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spiff Cloth

o

I've tried microfiber cloths on the mirrors but they don't come perfectly clean. They leave a fog, or streaks. Maybe those Spiff cloths are at the Dollar Tree too.

I've been using a homemade mixture of vinegar, rubbing alcohol, cornstarch and warm water. Everything just gleams. The car windows were amazing.

This post was edited by jasdip on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 15:28

o

The LA's Awesome products have several versions which you can see on their website. I usually have the original version in the clear bottle with the red writing on it and the kitchen version.
It is a good cleaner, I am not as crazy about it as some. It does a decent job and can be used for many purposes.I usually buy it at Big Lots, it is pretty cheap.
LA’s Totally Awesome

o

I bought some of the Awesome some time ago because of the rave reviews here. Boy, was I disappointed!

I didn't think it did a better cleaning job than anything else on a single thing I tried it on and didn't take greasy spots from clothing.

But the worst thing of all was the horrible, noxious fumes! Doesn't that bother anyone else who has used this stuff? It was very irritating to my eyes and lungs and made me extremely nervous about having something like that in my household.

It's in the garage now, though Robert doesn't like it, either.

o

I really like it and use it often to wipe down outside things, plastic lawn chairs, hot tub cover and use quite a bit to clean our camper....inside and out.
It does have a stronger smell, but I think it helps keep the critters away.
I have never tried on clothing or carpet and would be hesitant to try on something I wanted to keep.

o

Spiff cloths are only available online, and they are incredible. I do not like microfiber cloths at all--Spiff are totally different.

o

......... use quite a bit to clean our camper....inside and out.
....... would be hesitant to try on something I wanted to keep.
Like a camper??
Never heard of it here, so no personal advice. Have Dollar Tree, Dollar General, General Dollar, Big Lot.

o

I like Awesome, and I bought the quart bottle to make my own mix of any strength. I like that I can make it stronger if I need it. My daughter put those jelly like decorations on her french doors at Christmas. Her sons loved moving them around. I went up in January after she took the decorations down, and she had awful smears and smudges of the jelly goop on her windows that I could not get off. In desperation, I used Awesome straight from the bottle, and it took it right off with no streaks.

o

The ones that I saw today were the yellow bottles with red printing. It said something on the bottle about diluting it as directed, but I didn't see any directions.

I'll have to see if there's anything I need it for. I was wondering if it was good for clothes........when I was picking berries I was kneeling, and I got strawberry stains all over the knees of my pants. It didn't all come out, and I was thinking of using the Awesome, when I saw it. I didn't buy it yet though.

o

I buy it in the spray bottle and use it as is out of the sprayer for both the kitchen version and the original.
For spots especially on carpet I love spot shot in the spray can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spotshot

o

I buy the Awesome Orange dish detergent at our Dollar Tree and really like it.

I also like the Awesome Orange in the spray bottle. It really cleaned my white cabinets and white fridge.

o

Oldfixer, it works great wiping down the camper counters, shower, refrigerator floors, toilet and any dirt or mildew that starts building up on outside.
I don't keep a lot of different cleaners in camper. I find Awesome does a great job.
What I said (that you edited) was that have not tried on clothing or carpets..which was the original question.

o

I spray Awesome from the Dollar Tree (clear bottle with red writing) on stains then wash the item as usual. Can't say for sure if it would work on strawberry stains.

o

I would try the laundry pretreatment spray I learned about here on berry stains--1 or 2 parts peroxide to 1 part Blue Dawn dish detergent. Spray on liberally, let soak in for 15 minutes, then wash.

Thanks. I corrected it to read "Dawn."

This post was edited by sheilajoyce on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 1:47

o

I'll bet that Sheila means blue Dawn dish detergent, not Downey.

o

Yes, the odor just about kills me. It cleans but it is not worth it to have to breath in the fumes. It's awful.

o

Sheila that is my stain remover..... Dawn, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, It works great, but didn't take out all the stains this time.

I'm not keen at all with the smell of Dawn. I've used the Dawn and vinegar for the bathtub and tiles, but I couldn't stand the stench. It didn't do a great job for me, anyway.
I use another cleaner for my tub and sink, counters etc.
Ammonia, rubbing alcohol, vinegar and dishwashing liquid.

This post was edited by jasdip on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:19

o

Jasdip, the Awesome doesn't take out stains like that. And I'm going to remind you about the fumes. It's not that Awesome smells bad (which it does), but that the fumes are highly caustic. Terrible stuff.....can you tell that I don't like it, lol?

o

Thanks Rhizo. Between you and Lindyluwho, I've already decided not to buy it. I probably won't have the use for it. The only thing that gets greasy/grimy and is hard to clean is my exhaust hood for my stove. I'll clean it with elbow grease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here