Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you are really interested in the origin

Posted by ruthieg__tx (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 14:05

of something you are going to buy....You can make yourself a little card with the bar codes on it and help yourself determine the origin...Sometimes it isn't clearly marked on the packages.

There are exceptions and you can check it out at snopes.

HOW TO READ BAR CODES...

ALWAYS READ THE LABELS ON THE FOODS YOU BUY--NO MATTER WHAT THE FRONT OF THE BOX OR PACKAGE SAYS, TURN IT OVER AND READ THE BACK CAREFULLY!

With all the food and pet products now coming from China, it is best to make sure you read label at the supermarket and especially when buying food products. Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located. The whole world is concerned about China-made "black-hearted goods".

Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or China ? The world is also concerned about GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) foods; steroid fed animals (ex: 45 days old broiler chicken).

It is important to read the bar code to track its origin. How to read Bar Codes....interesting !

If the first 3 digits of the bar code are 690, 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan .
If the first 3 digits of the bar code are 00-09 then it's made or sourced in USA.

This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves. Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made. However, you may now refer to the barcode -

Remember if the first 3 digits are:
890......MADE IN INDIA
690, 691, 692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA and CANADA
30 - 37 ... FRANCE
40 - 44 ... GERMANY
471 ........ Taiwan
45 or 49 ........JAPAN
489...........HONG KONG
50 .......... UK
57 .........DENMARK
64..........FINLAND
76.........SWITZERLAND and LIENCHTENSTIEN
471......... is Made in TAIWAN (see sample)
628.........SAUDI ARABIA
629.........UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
740..........745 - CENTRAL AMERICA

All 480 Codes are Made in the PHILIPPINES. Share it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you are really interested in the origin

I'm sorry, Ruthie, but I read the Snopes entry regarding bar codes.

Before anyone in the US goes to the trouble to copy all those numbers, according to Snopes, they are the European codes, and are NOT the same for the codes use in the US.

And even then, the codes can be misleading, because the origen may be hidden by the product being purchased and packaged in a second country.

Be sure to read the Snopes article all the way to the end. And remember, the catch phrase, 'spread this to everyone' is usually a red flag.

o

I agree with Azzalea. Must read the full Snopes story. This has gone around before, including on the KT. Just not reliable.

o

Edited to remove duplicate.

This post was edited by suzieque on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 15:29

o

Saw that on Facebook.

o

People seldom ask where I'm from ...

... but sometimes tell me where to go!

When a store clerk directs me to where to find a product that I've asked for, when I ask them if they often get to tell people where to go ... and whether they're good at it ... it usually gets a bit of a laugh going.

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here